Can you see the bonnet out the windscreen?

Hi all. Short term lurker as whilst I don't urgently need to replace my current car (original shape SAAB 9-5 2.0T) I was planning to for either the 66 or 17 plate registrations.  The Superb III is the first new car that has come along in years that has stopped me in my tracks and made me think "wow".  My ideal (and sadly unavailable) spec would be a 220 TSI SE as I like the grey interior and it's all the spec I need but given I'm thinking I'm going to have to have the 2.0 petrol it'll have to be an SE-L.

So, the random question for those who have one - and it comes from still having yet to see one in the flesh...

When you're sat in the driver's seat can you see any of the bonnet?  So many recent cars you simply get the view out of the windscreen and it's almost impossible to see any of the front of the car - it's like there isn't one.  I *really* don't like that and like to feel I'm sat behind some metal - and not in the least as it's nice to be able to judge vaguely where the front of the car is!  I'm not expecting Volvo 240 levels of snooker table out in front of me, just intrigued as to what the view is like.

Those who've got one able to comment?

Cheers!  Dan

I could clearly see the bonnet on my test drive, I am 6' 2 though...

Yeah, depends if you like to jack the seat up high or sit low down. The front of the car is somewhere out there but you get use to it, or spec front parking sensors!

Hi all. Short term lurker as whilst I don't urgently need to replace my current car (original shape SAAB 9-5 2.0T) I was planning to for either the 66 or 17 plate registrations.  The Superb III is the first new car that has come along in years that has stopped me in my tracks and made me think "wow".  My ideal (and sadly unavailable) spec would be a 220 TSI SE as I like the grey interior and it's all the spec I need but given I'm thinking I'm going to have to have the 2.0 petrol it'll have to be an SE-L.

So, the random question for those who have one - and it comes from still having yet to see one in the flesh...

When you're sat in the driver's seat can you see any of the bonnet?  So many recent cars you simply get the view out of the windscreen and it's almost impossible to see any of the front of the car - it's like there isn't one.  I *really* don't like that and like to feel I'm sat behind some metal - and not in the least as it's nice to be able to judge vaguely where the front of the car is!  I'm not expecting Volvo 240 levels of snooker table out in front of me, just intrigued as to what the view is like.

Those who've got one able to comment?

Cheers!  Dan

Depends how tall you are and of course whether you sit in the lowermost seating position?? SII has a high driving position when compared to other cars in the same segment such as Insignia, Mondeo, Mazda 6 etc.....This means, it's much better to see forward down even when I sit in the lowermost position (I'm 5'9"). After test driving SIII, I have to say that you sit slightly lower than SII but given the technology such as front sensors etc, one should be able to live with it easily. Don't forget Superb is a long car which is 4.85m long and it is slightly longer than your Saab.

If you would want to see the bonnet edges so that you are very confident in positioning your car, you need an SUV like Range Rover. But, given the amount of headroom in SIII, you should be able to easily see the bonnet by adjusting the seat and sitting a bit higher.

Thanks for the responses.  I decided that the best course of action was to go and see one and managed to get an hour on the motorbike riding to Spire Harlow and back.  They had two SE-L's in - one silver in the showroom on 19" Sirius wheels, one black demonstrator on 19" Phoenix.

On the original point, quite happy that there's some metalwork in view.  To be clear I have no concern about manoeuvring or driving, I just cannot stand the car feeling like it stops at the bottom of the windscreen.  No problems here.

Whilst getting off topic all I can say is, again, "wow".  I think Skoda have really nailed it with the Superb - it looks even better in the metal than it does in pictures.  I also surprised myself by thinking the larger alloys look spectacular and really suit it.  Not something I'd ever consider normally but am going to be giving some serious thought to!