First impressions 280 SE L Combi

Wow what a motor ! Just been for a 50 mile run.

First dsg so that is taking some getting used to but I really like it. I want to use the full rev range upto 4k so I've been driving in manual as much as possible and will do until run in period over. Just like a manual really. Approaching an island in 6th and let speed bleed off, down to third with a little engine braking... Don't have to worry about dropping into first because it does it for you ! Gear changes are staggeringly quick and smooth. Wow !

Radar cruise ? Tried that. Nearly crapped myself but it works... Very odd feeling.

Overtook a couple of push bikes. Forgot I had it in sport mode and perhaps used a bit more throttle than I should... The 4k limit may have been broken unintentionally for a second !

Bloody hell its fast and it sounds pretty good !

Noise ? Very quiet in the cockpit I was amazed. Much quieter than the Scout.

Columbus is great, very impressed with it. Have my screen saver on already !

Had a quick look at the pedals but couldn't fathom out how to fit them in the 5 seconds I had allowed myself before I went out.

Negatives .... It developed a buzzing about 10 mins into the drive that was driving me mad. Sounds like it's coming from the area of the light switch. If I open the little cubbyhole under the light switch and pull it towards me it stops.

Apart from that ? Big thumbs up from me.

Amazing bit of kit :-D

• Like 2

If your car is fitted with the ashtray. in the centre console, have a look at it, as it seems to sit loosely on some cars, and can make a slight rattle / buzz, on some road surfaces.

• Like 1

Thanks jonnb. It's def coming from the area of the headlight switch though. If I open the cubby hole door then put my hand in and pull back on the top to apply a bit of tension to the dash it stops.

Not bothered. Never had a new car without teething problems. 5 year warranty so no worried ! :-D

Went away in the Scout to Wales the second week I had it and had to have it trailered back to the dealer in Sheffield !

All part of life's great tapestry !

How do you find the handling Nick?

Don't think I can really say yet as I don't really know what I'm doing with the gearbox. Had a few good twisties in 2nd and 3rd gear and it certainly felt nicely planted.

Yeah I wouldn't really like to say until I can use the full Rev range and I'm more comfortable with the car.

• Like 1

If your car is fitted with the ashtray. in the centre console, have a look at it, as it seems to sit loosely on some cars, and can make a slight rattle / buzz, on some road surfaces.

I've found that the lid to the cubby-hole in the centre console can come loose, & that was in a showroom car!

• Like 1

Don't think I can really say yet as I don't really know what I'm doing with the gearbox. Had a few good twisties in 2nd and 3rd gear and it certainly felt nicely planted.

Yeah I wouldn't really like to say until I can use the full Rev range and I'm more comfortable with the car.

Have you tried leaving it in "D" & using the torque at lowish rpm's rather than spinning out to 4K?

We rarely see high rpm's in our cars, maybe 'cos there's too much traffic/ speed cameras here in Essex?

DC 

Have you tried leaving it in "D" & using the torque at lowish rpm's rather than spinning out to 4K?

We rarely see high rpm's in our cars, maybe 'cos there's too much traffic/ speed cameras here in Essex?

DC 

Yeah theirs bags of torque just leaving it in 'D' but I want to use a good spread of revs while running in.... Lazy 'D' come later :-)

Negatives .... It developed a buzzing about 10 mins into the drive that was driving me mad. Sounds like it's coming from the area of the light switch. If I open the little cubbyhole under the light switch and pull it towards me it stops.

Personally I'd find that unacceptable and get it looked at ASAP. Over four years with my Superb II Estate and not a single rattle, buzz or squeak in all that time. Maybe I'm just lucky, but build quality was one of the reasons why I switched to a Skoda Superb.

I hope to pick up my 280 within the coming week so fingers crossed it doesn't have any issues.

Glad you're otherwise enjoying it and congratulations.

• Like 1

Agree on the cruise but on a stop start motorway journey it was ace once I'd got over the 'blimey I hope it stops' feeling!

How'd you set up the screen saver - is it just done through the images menu?

Sorry I meant screen protector bad choice of words ..

Personally I'd find that unacceptable and get it looked at ASAP. Over four years with my Superb II Estate and not a single rattle, buzz or squeak in all that time. Maybe I'm just lucky, but build quality was one of the reasons why I switched to a Skoda Superb.

I hope to pick up my 280 within the coming week so fingers crossed it doesn't have any issues.

Glad you're otherwise enjoying it and congratulations.

I'm pretty relaxed with stuff like that. I'll def get it sorted in the next couple of weeks but I'll not let it spoil the experience. My very first Fabia, elegance Octavia and last Scout all had dash rattles in the first few weeks that had to be sorted.

For me it's a bit like a new Skoda tradition ! :-D

Another thing that i thought was great. Auto handbrake ! I read about it but still wasn't sure how it worked....

When you stop at lights / junctions etc the car applies the brakes then you just set off !

Magic !

Another thing that i thought was great. Auto handbrake ! I read about it but still wasn't sure how it worked....

When you stop at lights / junctions etc the car applies the brakes then you just set off !

Magic !

Yeh I'm impressed with the autohold as well specially in conjunction with stop/start. Only time so far I disable stop/start is on bad junctions where you are constantly checking left/right to time your exit and can't afford that little startup time when you need the throttle to just react instantly when you press it

Yeh I'm impressed with the autohold as well specially in conjunction with stop/start. Only time so far I disable stop/start is on bad junctions where you are constantly checking left/right to time your exit and can't afford that little startup time when you need the throttle to just react instantly when you press it

How responsive is the stop/start? Is it seamless enough or is there much delay? Always thought there was room for slight improvement in the MkII in terms of timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How responsive is the stop/start? Is it seamless enough or is there much delay? Always thought there was room for slight improvement in the MkII in terms of timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And also, can you please explain how stop/start works on a DSG Box Nick? I'm used to releasing the clutch on my manual Fabia but not sure what to do on DSG!

And also, can you please explain how stop/start works on a DSG Box Nick? I'm used to releasing the clutch on my manual Fabia but not sure what to do on DSG!

Ok Dilz. You pull up to some lights. Take your foot off the foot brake. The auto hold kicks in. The stop start stops the engine. Lights change to green. You put your foot on the throttle the engine starts the auto hold disengages and you drive off....

Just to add though I do t use auto stop.

Ok Dilz. You pull up to some lights. Take your foot off the foot brake. The auto hold kicks in. The stop start stops the engine. Lights change to green. You put your foot on the throttle the engine starts the auto hold disengages and you drive off....

Just to add though I do t use auto stop.

Perfect thanks... And what do you to to not engage the stop start? Keep your foot on the brake?

Perfect thanks... And what do you to to not engage the stop start? Keep your foot on the brake?

No I just press the button that disables it when I get in the car and it then stays disabled until I turn the engine off. Next trip. Repeat.

• Like 1

So completely different to the Superb II?  On that you press the brake hard and the auto-stop cuts in.  Letting a bit of pressure off the brake pedal starts the engine.

So completely different to the Superb II?  On that you press the brake hard and the auto-stop cuts in.  Letting a bit of pressure off the brake pedal starts the engine.

Sorry never driven a Superb 2

Nick - your car looks absolutely fabulous in the picture.  I'm thinking if and when I commit it's going to have to be corrida red.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your driver for getting the 4WD?  Did you simply want the higher output engine?  I'm enormously tempted but there is a fair old price difference between the 220PS 2WD and the 280PS 4.

• Like 1

Nick - your car looks absolutely fabulous in the picture. I'm thinking if and when I commit it's going to have to be corrida red.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your driver for getting the 4WD? Did you simply want the higher output engine? I'm enormously tempted but there is a fair old price difference between the 220PS 2WD and the 280PS 4.

Hello mate :-) that's an easy one ! My last car was a Scout and I vowed never to have a 2wd car again if I could possibly help it. Bit like the xenons on my first Octavia. I could never go back to halogens.
  • Like 3