Broken headlight lugs

Yeah you can separate it, use heat to soften the glue and remove the four metal clips beside each corner.

You can plastic weld, super glue, hot glue gun, make a metal bracket and attach the two pieces etc etc...

The choice is yours really.

Yeah you can separate it, use heat to soften the glue and remove the four metal clips beside each corner.

You can plastic weld, super glue, hot glue gun, make a metal bracket and attach the two pieces etc etc...

The choice is yours really.

Do mean the one on top? You can get a repair kit off eBay for golf headlights, but only one of the fixings 'fit', held it solid enough though and passed the mot few days later.

I had this issue after a mild frontal impact and the mot station just used  longer self-tapping screws through the slam panel into the black part of the lamp unit to make it secure. MOT requires that it is secure but the fixing doesn't have to be elegant.

In my case, one of the lugs broke in the bump and the other when I tried to re-fit. Reason was that the bump had bent the slam panel a bit such that the height of the gap the lamp fits into was slightly increased. When I tightened the upper locating screw it pulled the lug upwards and it snapped. If this could apply to you, you should consider changing the slam panel which is the metal horizontal that the front of the bonnet closes onto - particularly if you end up spending to replace the lamp units.

Edited by poiuytre111

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd imagine so, most repair kits will be the same / similar

Do mean the one on top? You can get a repair kit off eBay for golf headlights, but only one of the fixings 'fit', held it solid enough though and passed the mot few days later.

Yeah I'll give it a go.

Thisday did mention it earlier on.

My current ligts are annoying me at the momment.

Driver side headlight keeps going off soon as i go over a tiny bump.

(Crappy hids) lol

Yeah I'll give it a go.

Thisday did mention it earlier on.

My current ligts are annoying me at the momment.

Driver side headlight keeps going off soon as i go over a tiny bump.

(Crappy hids) lol

i cant remember which one did fit but i have a feeling it was the one you already have in place.

I destroyed the other trying to make it work.

I just banged a of 'repair plate' from Wilkinsons (basically a small strip of zinc coated steel with 4 screw holes in). Bolted one end on to the slam panel mounting point then used a small self tapper in to the light when it was in the correct position. My Cordoba ran around with this arrangement for years. Did it on my Fabia when the lugs, predictably after 13 years, broke.