Not happt

The other day the wife was driving to work when all of a sudden the car felt lumpy and the EPC and exhaust system lights came on the dash. My car is 2010 1.2 TSI 85 with only 33,000 miles on the clock.

I have a garage looking at it and they will let me know for defo in a couple of days what is the problem, they said injectors and all electrics are fine and working well. He said the problem is cylinder No3 has the problem.

Has anyone else come across this and what was it. I can't believe this problem has come about with such low mileage. Skoda UK said it's out of warranty and are not prepared to help me with the cost of repair.

With what i am learning i am losing faith in the VW group. 

The low mileage might just be where the Spark Plugs need changed.

So after they check the codes to see if there were misfires, which probably showed on Cylinder 3 and lead the technician to remove that spark plug and check it.

Then remove the other 3,  and then replaced all 4, with the correct new plugs & with the correct gap.

That would lead to considering the Ignition Coil might have gone or be if the spark plug was overheating.

So you will have to wait and see what they find is the problem.

Skoda UK can not say anything until they know what the issue is, out of warranty or not.

Hopefully the 4 spark plugs are there for you to see.

Is this the 3 cyl or 4 cyl engine?  We had the individual coils fail several times on our 07 reg 3 cyl engine, so much so we carried a couple of spares.  It was easy to tell which one had gone, it smelled different to the other two - an RAC man pointed that out! 

The last time, before we got fed up and replaced the car with a diesel version, we were advised to also replace the plugs, they had only done 10000 miles (but over 2 years!)

Edited by Baxlin

• 3 weeks later...

Got my car back on Friday after investigating what was wrong. It was the exhaust valve in cylinder No3 which buggered up. Go no help from Skoda/VW group about contributing to the repair which i was surprised and relieved that i was only charged £780 when i thought it would be a lot more.

If the Manufacturer addresses all Snagging Faults and Poor Component Choice or Supplier of Components and Quality Control 

within the Manufacturers Warranty, and treat owners in all World Regions equally by Recalling and doing proper Service Campaigns 

then they can may absolve them selves of responsibility in Failures other than Safety Critical Faults.

As to the Engine issues like in this post,

the Designers & Manufacturer of the Engines which was the Volkswagen Group knew early on in their Production that the issues were likely,

and more than that probable in some vehicles, and should have been address in the first 2 or even 3 years.

The Reason VW need to pay up often is because they played the numbers game, '3 Monkeys', 

and now they are well and truly caught out.

The new open honest and to be trusted Volkswagen Group can now look back at some Lemons they built and sold and ended up 

costing the people buing them more than was fair in Natural Justice.

PS

vxh26/vxh28,

No Morals i think you called it when talking about me.

Well your favourite Manufacturer had no Morals for a long time now.

Got my car back on Friday after investigating what was wrong. It was the exhaust valve in cylinder No3 which buggered up. Go no help from Skoda/VW group about contributing to the repair which i was surprised and relieved that i was only charged £780 when i thought it would be a lot more.

What do you mean excatly that the exhaust valve was "buggered up"?

The cam chain hadn't slipped by any chance had it?