How easy would an engine swap be?

Camlep

Non-mechanic question.

How easy would it be to get say a ford Eco-Boost 1.0 in a Citigo, without changing much else? How much else would need changed?

Not planning on doing it, but I just thought it's an interesting though if it was possible to get 130+bhp out of a Citigo, there'd be no problem fitting the tiny ford engine in the bay....!

Non-mechanic question.

How easy would it be to get say a ford Eco-Boost 1.0 in a Citigo, without changing much else? How much else would need changed?

Not planning on doing it, but I just thought it's an interesting though if it was possible to get 130+bhp out of a Citigo, there'd be no problem fitting the tiny ford engine in the bay....!

I see you've also spotted the Eco boost turbo is a straight bolt on ;) the Gearbox would need changing amongst other things, I'll wait to Updown gets here to have his say, he's pretty nerdy at these sorts of things :nerd:

But it would be considerably cheaper and easier just to buy something with the engine already in.

Now where's the fun in that? ;)

I'm just gonna wait till the engine goes bang and then shove a new engine in

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Yeah, been following BossFox's thread of the citigogogogo. But I'm talking about no swapping of drivetrain etc. 130bhp in a sub 1000kg car, with the tuning potential of the Eco boost, and in theory fairly inexpensive changes... Could be interesting. Especially as the engine is so easily swappable to an EcoBoost 3-pot, in that way it simply isn't for the 2.0tsi! Just think you could get a whole lot of fun pushing 140-150bhp out of a 800kg car!

• Like 1

Yeah, been following BossFox's thread of the citigogogogo. But I'm talking about no swapping of drivetrain etc. 130bhp in a sub 1000kg car, with the tuning potential of the Eco boost, and in theory fairly inexpensive changes... Could be interesting. Especially as the engine is so easily swappable to an EcoBoost 3-pot, in that way it simply isn't for the 2.0tsi! Just think you could get a whole lot of fun pushing 140-150bhp out of a 800kg car!

Yeah but your street cred would drop pretty low, what using Ford parts in a VAG model ;)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

No fun i suppose in just buying a used Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost with 140ps as standard, taking it to 160ps, 

and lightening a bit to bring it under 1,000 kg.

Having a car that handles and stops better than the 800 kg Citigo and costs no more really than sourcing and fitting the 130ps Ecoboost Ford engine and improving the Citigos brakes.

I'm sure it would not be long before someone sticks a 1.4TSi DSG7 in it IMHO it would make it quite a good motor, lots of grunt, bit of a wolf in sheeps but actually quite sensible!

As much as i quite like the 3-pot ecoboost to drive iI think the 1.4TSi would be a better match and as long as you did not go for the older twincharger the engine bay looks big enough without any major surgery

Oh this takes me back to fitting V8's in Morris minors (they were designed for modern (then) flat 4 engines but were given (just post war) inline engines - hence loads of room in engine bay

You would probably need the later 1.4 tsi EA211 to match orientation of gearbox/exhaust - should go like stink though

Give it time I reckon we'll see a 1.0 TSI variant of this platform. Its available in Brazil now in the Up so it could come here.

Something with 100ish hp and the associated levels of torque will be loads of fun.

Give it time I reckon we'll see a 1.0 TSI variant of this platform. Its available in Brazil now in the Up so it could come here.

Something with 100ish hp and the associated levels of torque will be loads of fun.

Depends on size, I've noticed the Up! is wider and longer (to accompany a middle seat) than the EU equivalent and also has a higher ride level due to the poor roads