donnylad

I decided to run down a winter set of star performers tyres with about 4mm left one spring. They lasted all summer and felt fine. If I was planning to do this is get all seasons however

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I've run my Yeti with winter tyres for the last three years**. They were Nokian WR A3s. This year I've switched to all seasons, but have stuck with Nokian, getting their new Weatherproof tyres. These are winter tyres adapted to all year use. In the two comparative reviews I've seen (Auto Express and Auto Bild) snow performance has been extremely good. I just passed the 2000 mile mark on them tonight, and so far I'm very happy with them.

** in winter, that is. Dunlop SP01s were on for the rest of the time.

Edited by dbg400

I bought these last year:-

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wr-d3/205-55-r16-91h-51738

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/steel-wheels/skoda/yeti/#2613  [not sure which of the two]

I only drove them in snow for one morning, but lots of rain. They felt very sticky as the temperatures dropped and I am glad I bought them and now understand why members advised winter tyres.

Colin

Carefull with you insurance, amazingly some state you can only run winter tyres from autumn till spring, worth checking to be sure

Can you name an example? They are still completely legal as long as they meet the specifications for the vehicle. How would they define a 'winter tyre'? Three peaks symbol? Its on all-season tyres too. M+S comes on anything that the manufacturer wants to put it on, my current summer tyres are stamped with M+S on the sidewall.

I know a few people who run winter tyres year around without issue. They're absolutely fine if you don't drive hard in hot weather.

If any UK based insurance Broker or Undewriter was to state Spring to Autumn it would be interesting which Date of Spring and Autumn they went by.

They could maybe go by when 'Winter Spec Fuel' was Distributed in Scotland, 15th October - 28th March,

but then considering that there are years (eg this year 2015) where there are temps in parts of the UK at around freezing and Black Ice is a possibility, even snow on highways in April, and August / September, (even in June, July & August is not unknown.)

It would be a case of the Insurers showing where the tyres on the car were not EU Approved and correct for the vehicles use all year around.

(Unless they are marked 'For offroad use only' 'Or Motorsport use only', you will find it hard to buy tyres in the UK from a retailer not suitable (legal) for all year use in the UK on the Public Highway.)

A recent comparison test in Auto Express of all season tyres showed them to be almost as good as full winters on snow and ice (indeed the best were better than the worst winters)! The main compromise came on dry roads at higher temperatures. So, if you want to keep them on all year, certainly go for a decent all season tyre over keeping winters on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A recent comparison test in Auto Express of all season tyres showed them to be almost as good as full winters on snow and ice (indeed the best were better than the worst winters)! The main compromise came on dry roads at higher temperatures.

It was in drier/warmer conditions that the Michelin CrossClimate excelled I think, compared to other all-season tyres. It's more of a summer tyre adapted to provide some reasonable winter performance, rather than the other way round like most other all-season tyres. Its dry performance was virtually as good as summer tyres.