Changing specs: missing sat nav

It's was a condition of sale that was agreed at the time the op agreed to purchase the car regardless of price. It therefore becomes part of the contract. That analogy is isn't close to what this is about. This is about a chargeable element of the whole sale, not giving the whole car away.

Edited by Mallettsmallett

It was part of the car when he paid for it. In the same way the wheels were. You can't then change the rules after someone has agreed to purchase the car based on that list of agreed components.

The fact that it was free of charge is irrelevant. As with any agreed sale, you can argue that that component was a deal breaker, and the main reason they bought the car (but this could apply to any sale that's covered under English law)

I'm not sure that's a valid argument. The car still comes with wheels, but perhaps not the 18" upgrades because the offer finished before the order was placed. The dealer might be expected to go some way towards a goodwill gesture, and it would appear to be so. I think that's about as much as I would expect really.

Whichever way you wash it, if you don't get something you didn't pay for, I'm not sure you really have much to complain about.

Unless you're from the States where no doubt some smart arse lawyer would jump on this and make a living out of it.

Sure it does. So back to your analogy about a football. Say the person was selling a football for a tenner, and it was white. You didnt want a white ball, you wanted one with black patches, so he said he could sell you a white ball with free black patches for £10 and you agreed to buy that.

When it arrives, it's a white ball and he's still expecting you to buy if for £10. That, is breach of contract, regardless of free of charge patches. The patches were the thing that swayed you to buy it. One might say, he never intended to supply the black and white ball and that's false advertising.

If a dealer was allowed to do this, they could sell you a car that cost 10k, and you want 5k worth of extras. He could say he's selling you the base car for 15k, and will give you then options for free, and then not provide them as they were 'free'. (Mind you, most people would probably think this is a bit suspect)

The Sale of Goods act requires the goods to be 'as described'. This is not the case and therefore in breach.

I'm not entirely clear on this 'when the offer ended bit though'. The above is only working on the assumption that the OP has proof somewhere that when he agreed the sale and paid a deposit for the new car, he has a list of the agreed options. Thats the only point in time thats important. If this offer then expires after the sale was agreed then that's irrelevant too. Unless the dealer said 'it's free, and you might get lucky, but I have to warn you that there is a possibility it wont get installed as it will miss this 'window' we've created'  or somesuch. Basically, either the dealer said he'd get it and put it in the options list, or he didn't. Sounds like he did as he's making amends.

I ordered my MY16 Vrs, again specced with the Sat Nav as standard. When It arrived without, basically I said fix it or order me another.

As stated by some of the posts above, if it's not there then it's not the car you ordered.

Trading standards says : 

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations have replaced most of the Trade Descriptions Act. These rules make it an offence to mislead consumers about goods and services. Misleading practices could include:

• untruthful advertising
  • leaving out important information
  • deceptive after-sales information

An advert is misleading if it deceives or is likely to deceive its audience and affect their decision on whether or not to buy. This also applies if it unfairly harms - or is likely to harm - a competitor of the organisation placing the advertisement.

In my mind, saying you have this extra, worth circa £800 fitted standard then that is a reason to sway your decision. So if its not there and you have it in writing then thats a breach of contract, surely. 

In any effect, my dealer ordered what they called an upgrade kit to enable the sat nav which (I'm told) contains the new media unit, modules and wiring.

However it didn't fit as there is some differences behind the glove compartment some the modules don't fit where kenwood have told them it should.

So the saga continues. They are going to try to extend the wires and re-locate the modules next, hopefully when they have it all installed, it will actually work........

How can he be out of pocket for not getting something which was free? :no:

I've got through to a seance quicker than I am you! ;)

You seriously cannot comprehend why someone is out of pocket when a £755 'optional extra' is fitted as standard due to a limited promotional offer, and the vehicle arrives without that £755 'optional extra' fitted to the vehicle?

That's only applicable for retailers who actually stock the item for you to buy and take away, so they can advertise a product at a certain price and when they run out of stock, they're not obliged to source stock to fulfill any obligation at that price. This doesn't apply here as the seller is agreeing to supply a product not now, but in the future, at a price you agree in the present, otherwise you're asking the customer to take a lucky dip on whether they'll get it or not. If you'd be happy with that, then that's fine, but most people, I suspect, wouldn't. :)

I was bitten by this as well. I have a post related to it called "Deflated".

Long story short, I got £800 off the car, and they are giving me a complimentary SmartLink activation when the codes arrive.

On the plus side, I don't think I miss it, even though I spec'd the colour maxidot to compliment it. I understand your frustration though!

Kind of puts the "we'll activate the Smartlink for you in lieu of the sat nav." Goodwill gesture into perspective.

Might be worth the OP showing the 'Deflated' thread to his dealer; "Match it!"

It does actually say in the brochures and plenty on line I am sure that the spec is correct at the time of writing but is subject to change and cannot be guaranteed. That is their get out.

I remember when I ordered my Mk3 Elegance it was just at the time where Skoda pulled the front assist from the standard kit; due to a general parts shortage across VAG. I ordered on the premise it would have front assist, I wasnt going to pay for it though and rather knew at the time it'd probably turn up without.

Annoyed me a bit at the time but wasnt an essential part of the car for me and I didnt miss something I never had...just felt a little shortchanged in that I still paid the same amount for the car.

It is a bit like model year spec changes though....the only way you can guarantee getting those is holding out on your order until you know the car can only be factory build and only built in a correct build week to receive the changes.

I just took delivery of an MY16 Mk7 GTD that now comes with MIB2 Nav, Winter Pack and Keyless as standard...ordering it knowing id get that kit. A guy I work with ordered a DSG one months previous, took several months to arrive and was built just before the changes so no extra kit for him. That would have annoyed me!

In the Spring this year SE models were falsely advertised as including the auto-dipping mirror, as part of the same offer as the satnav on the Vrs. Mine came without and I got £100 "goodwill" out of it.

This is all good stuff - thanks all. I've thought long and hard and I'm going to accept the smart link offer and not push any further.

I'll get the functionality I need and I always have a high end phone available thanks to work so I don't feel I'm losing out.

Would be great to get £800 back too but seeing as I got a 21% discount I don't think there's much room left for them to give more.

Good luck then, I've had some really mixed results, Google Maps works perfectly as does Apple Maps with Smartlink.

Edited by fluffmeister

To use Sygic, you have to use MirrorLink for the connection, and your phone needs to support it natively. Android Auto is more "universal" but at the moment restricts you to google maps.

http://www.mirrorlink.com/

Apple is CarPlay only, no MirrorLink, so you are restricted to Apple maps.

I'm on Android so Google maps is perfectly fine, sure I seen somewhere on here that if you purchase the full sygic app it works, will find all this out later in the week ;)

Edited by MRJSVRS

Full Sygic only with MirrorLink mate, not android auto, you can use MirrorLink as smart link acts over android auto, MirrorLink and CarPlay, but your phone has to support it. I have full Sygic premium, world maps, but my "daily" use phone, a Moto x style, does not support MirrorLink, but I've had no real issues with google maps, and I work in the highlands of Scotland a lot, it's got me where I needed to go.

I've got an iPhone 6plus to, but the interface is poo compared to android auto, and Apple maps sometimes gets really "creative" on routes :)

Sorry for the thread hijack OP, but get smart link activated, it's brill.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from my Missing sat Nav Problem

My Skoda dealer had just fitted a Kenwood MIB Nav Interface (skoda part number: ZGB 5E0 051 259) which has now given me Sat Nav (via the Media button) on my Balero head unit.

I believe the upgrade is compatible with Octavia 2013> (but my my2016 needed Kenwood to sort a new lead out) and the Fabia 2014>

Happy camper! :D

Good to hear you found an acceptable resolution.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the head unit once you become acquainted.

I was offered this as an option to my missing sat nav as well, but declined.

Well first impressions are OK. TMC doesn't seem to work yet so it'll go back in for that. My only other real gripe is that the directions are on the nav unit only and don't appear in the colour Maxidot.

The display is different to the OE one i'd used,its much more like a seperate sat nav would be (a Garmin one to be precise). Colours are a bit bright on the screen but it's easy to see and use.

Still happy they got it added in for me (for free), but would have still preferred the OE one that it should have come with.

Skoda video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV7BJXxOOME&annotation_id=563d4419-0000-2f8a-843d-94eb2c062efc&feature=iv&src_vid=iZum-oyjNwc