Light Issues

I may have a couple of issues inherent to this MK II model.

The left rear tail light warning is shown intermittently as shown by the MFD.

The door opening interior roof lights when the switch is in the middle position are not coming on but they work when switched on. All the other lights work. I have read this can be a known issue with water ingress under the carpets via the pollen filter? Is this the only cause of these not working, seems strange that all the other lights are working. Out of interest how does the door interior light switching work?

Thanks @Wile7. I have my hard copy and this digital manual. I'm happy with the light switch control (well apart from the central 'door contact' is has no physical markings on the switch, just a 0 for Off and a light symbol for On). It was more to do with a physical door contact switch, like a plunger but non can be found, so what type of contact switch are the doors using to turn on the interior lights? I'm hoping to find an easy solution as to why the roof lights will not turn on when the door is opened and off when closed.

Thanks @Wile7. I have my hard copy and this digital manual. I'm happy with the light switch control (well apart from the central 'door contact' is has no physical markings on the switch, just a 0 for Off and a light symbol for On). It was more to do with a physical door contact switch, like a plunger but non can be found, so what type of contact switch are the doors using to turn on the interior lights? I'm hoping to find an easy solution as to why the roof lights will not turn on when the door is opened and off when closed.

I think the switch is located in the lock mechanics. Someone will soon confirm....

Apart from the under carpet harness water ingress major issue, has anyone had this problem where only the interior light door entry does not work?

The roof switch is in the central rocker position.

All the interior roof lights come on when the switch is moved to the bulb forward position.

My current manual method. Prior to exit if I turn the interior lights on, then exit, they turn off when I lock the doors. On opening the doors the interior lights come on, but as expected stay on, where I then move the switch to the central position.

I must admit I have not physically looked at any fuses, from what I can see from the manual there does not seem to be just a specific fuse for just the interior lights and as they actually turn on I'm assuming it's not a fuse?

Ideas welcome.

Apart from the under carpet harness water ingress major issue, has anyone had this problem where only the interior light door entry does not work?

There isn't an issue with water ingress under the carpets in the mkII, That was with the mkI. Do the lights come on when you open doors other than the drivers?

There isn't an issue with water ingress under the carpets in the mkII, That was with the mkI. Do the lights come on when you open doors other than the drivers?

No roof lights come on when opening any door but the footwell lights work and the boot works ok on opening.

Edited by CzechSkoda

I have the same problem

If I press the switch in the centre (i.e. not switch it either way, but simply apply pressure) it will work once, but then stops working again.

I assume that there is a loose connection somewhere behind the switch, and once I am sufficiently bored one weekend and can work out how to remove the panel without destroying it I will have a look and see.

"I assume that there is a loose connection somewhere behind the switch, and once I am sufficiently bored one weekend and can work out how to remove the panel without destroying it I will have a look and see."

Most certainly worth a look, I'm sure there's a guide on here on how to remove the panel, somebody will be along to help with that.

Edited by Hoverurb

I had my car briefly checked by an auto electrician and could find no electrical faults. This lead to the suggestion that the roof switch could be suspect.

Is there a guide as to how to remove the roof cluster panel to replace and check the switch?

This any help?

Thanks @Hoverurb. My assembly is this one and from what I can see from the photos, there seems to be two screw holes in the sun glasses holder, then possibly just comes out backwards looking at the front retaining lugs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252145457367?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The bad news is that the Jetta is completely different, and craning up and fiddling around inside the glasses holder failed to reveal any obvious screw fittings.

The good news is that in desperation I gave all accessible gaps and grills a blast with a can of clean air (airbrush propellant) I had handy, and all seems to be working properly now. 

Perhaps it was just some dust causing the switch to close properly, or perhaps just coincidence.