Replacement MOT Certificate - What do I do ...

GhillieUp

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes ...

So i'm trying to get a replacement MOT certificate done for my Octavia.  I pop in to the garage local to me and ask ... He replies with a "Sure, that'll be £10, let's just check the V5 and the VIN on your car ... "  The mechanic checks my details and says everything checks out.  After logging in to the GOV site that I assume MOT garages login to to print and provide MOT certs he says he can not find my car based off my Registration number and my Chassis number.  I took a photo and the site says "0 vehicles found with registration XXX and VIN matching YYY".  He mentions to phone the DVSA and get them to update their records...  O.K.  

Now my mind's ticking, have i just purchased a stolen car?  Then i remembered the car was on a private plate when it was sold to the garage I purchased it from, so the MOT certificate must be on that private plate still even though the DLVA have "updated" their records. 

So now starts my agonising circle of disbelief.  After ping-ponging between the DLVA and the DVSA for over an hour I finally get someone at the DVSA so says they need to send the DVLA some sort of email confirming the plate change - O.K cool.  So here I start to think my luck is changing. The DVSA woman says, this email goes to a team at the DVLA to update their records and should take up to 3 days.  So ... Here we are 2 weeks later I pop to the garage with a smile in my face that I can finally get this DAMN thing sorted and low and behold the Mech at the garage still can't pull the details of my car with the Reg and VIN...  After a mental Rage quit, i pulled myself together and phoned the DVSA again and mellowly ask what is going on as I need this proof of MOT for next week.  She advises that the team defiantly sent the email to DVLA to update and suggest I call them for the 1000th time in 2 weeks.  She kindly passes me through to the DVLA and after explaining the above for about 10 minutes she puts me on hold... Right now i'm 50p, 20p-ing and she comes back with the most insanely long apology for putting me on hold.  (Brace for bitter disappointment) she claims that there is no such team, she is unaware of said process and that I need to speak to the DVSA ... After muting the call and falling in to a boneless mess on the floor I hang up and am now ranting on this forum...

I apologies for the ridiculousness of this post ... But can someone please HELP ME HERE!!  What do I do???  : _ ( 

Thanks.

Just visit the government website and print a new one.

There is no MOT certificate any more

Perhaps the OP is just unlucky, in that he's the first employee who is running a 3+ year old car with an MoT that has come up for renewal?  

Just being nosey, 

but why do they need to know your car is Currently MOT'd for paying your Car Allowance.?

Is it your car and you paying the VED and Insurance, or is it in their name.

Do they mistrust employees and think they might drive non legal vehicles?

Whoever is in the Office or Human Resources must rather be out of touch with how the DVLA and DVSA 

now operate.

Just being nosey, 

but why do they need to know your car is Currently MOT'd for paying your Car Allowance.?

Is it your car and you paying the VED and Insurance, or is it in their name.

Do they mistrust employees and think they might drive non legal vehicles?

Whoever is in the Office or Human Resources must rather be out of touch with how the DVLA and DVSA 

now operate.

Normal practice for most companies George.  If they're paying you a car allowance in lieu of a company car, they need to ensure it complies with their company car policy as they could end up in a lot of trouble even though it's the employees responsibility. 

What happens if you can give the garage the original test number ? If you go on MOT SITE https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history with VRN vehicle was MOT'd under, it might give you the cert no . ( or give you an idea if DVLA etc have got the paperwork right) .

Of course this might not get anywhere . But with anything connected ( or in this case dis connected ) from a Gov't body , anything might work.

Edited by VWD