Bulb upgrade

Hi all

I'm looking for some clean white h7 bulbs for my octavia 2, not really a fan of the ice blue.

Iv done a search but most are from a year ago so looking for some up to date help.

I'm also looking for a pair of white 501 sidelight bulbs and some white number plate bulbs.

Any help or advise would be appreciated

• Like 1

I would get some Philips xtreme Bulbs and LED bulbs...but your numberplate ones will probably need a resister to fool the canbus

On later Mk2's it can be coded out

In my experience..the whiter you go with bulbs, the dimmer they get...Xtremes are very bright and almost white

• Like 2

Mine is a 2006 Octavia. Will the LEDs listed as can bus friendly work OK with my car?

Any recommendations for which type of sidelight bulbs to go for?

I just worry about over heating, don't fancy a fire with the kids in the car

Hi all

I'm looking for some clean white h7 bulbs for my octavia 2, not really a fan of the ice blue.

Iv done a search but most are from a year ago so looking for some up to date help.

I'm also looking for a pair of white 501 sidelight bulbs and some white number plate bulbs.

Any help or advise would be appreciated

On my current and past VAG cars - I've found Philips Crystal vision to be a good 4300K Xenon match on the H7.

LED wise.... I current use these in my .:R36 sidelights and they have been very reliable so far:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-T10-501-194-W5W-5630-LED-10-SMD-SIDE-WEDGE-LIGHT-LAMP-BULBS-/361336072183?hash=item54214ee7f7:g:EokAAOSwgkRVUyjt

A newer version is this... which I might try next....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-New-Cree-15W-T10-W5W-White-CANBUS-Error-Free-interior-Light-Car-LED-Lamp-/251963081589?hash=item3aaa2b8375:g:G1gAAOSwBLlVErhm

I put Osram LED Warm white ones in my Yeti and am very pleased.

The 'white' ones were too cold and blue to me. These Osrams are a little on the warm side, but not too much and still very bright.

Not cheap, but slightly cheaper than Philips I think.

Not sure if they are CANBUS friendly though for exterior use.

Edited by KBPhoto

Just an update guys.

I went for the Philips extreme white xenon effect h7's.

Before

sketch-1447308145450_zpsazbn0ywz.jpg

After

sketch-1447308287886_zpsogxggm9j.jpg

I also got some can bus friendly 501's from euro car parts for £6

sketch-1447308259567_zpskutmjmqf.jpg

I also changed the number plate bulbs to led

sketch-1447308195675_zps76mwilqa.jpg

• Like 1

Mike, I just fitted Philips Xtreme Vision 360 LED T10's.

I went for them because a couple of LED I'd tried looked rubbish in the FL as it really needs the LED's to be well diffused to fill the sidelight positions without causing glare. They are only about 50lm so comparable to a standard halogen W5W but with a much whiter colour. Philips at least claim a 12 year lifespan whatever that actually means but I did need to recode the car to avoid bulb warnings so as yours are both pre-FL I'm not sure how you go about that.

I used ODIS-e to change the eeprom in much the same way as VCP does through it's one click function. Flipped the bits for hot/cold diagnostics and what is believed to be lamp type for the sidelight channel and the bulb warnings went away.

I'm not aware of a similar method for the pre-FL unfortunately.