My New R

octavia5

I do like the colour, blends into the background which is what I wanted.  In bright light the paint really sparkles and looks just like a bright Silver but in subdued lighting it changes to a metallic darker Gold colour, unusual.

The throttle lag is a combination of the first 1/2 to 1 inch of throttle movement not actually raising the revs at all and the standard throttle map being programmed towards economy with a slower pickup.  You can overcome some/most of the issue with driving style - i.e. flooring the throttle but for a smoother faster pickup the Pedal Box helps eliminate the initial dead spot and speeds pickup throughout the throttle range - it brings the car alive without excessive movement of the throttle pedal.

Some people appear not to notice the issue as it comes down to driving style and Sport/Race mode does improve the throttle response but the Box is even more effective.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it does what it says on the box and makes the car feel much more responsive.

I bought mine of a member of an R forum who had been given a different company car so had no more use for it, got it at a good price, not sure I would have bought one new at the full £175 offer price though.

It does work and makes the car more fun to drive, and I would say safer as it eliminates the dead spot issue when you need to merge into traffic at a roundabout or junction - which can cause a few dry mouth moments, or soggy rear end.

• Like 1

Nice car, I looked at Limestone for my estate but went for Tungsten, shame VWUK do not give us the full range of colours as per Germany/France etc, but SKUK do!!................

AArrrggghhh!!!

How are you finding the pedal box unit?

Is it working as you expected and do you genuinely beleive it is an improvement worthy of the

Cheers

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/7105-another-dtuk-pedal-box-review/

What are DTUK marketing parameters and supported by verified test data?

Edited by vrskeith

Is the hesitancy related to the function of the DSG box,as don't have such a problem with my manual.

Reason I say that is that I experienced this on my old Fabia vRS mk2 and can still experience this on my partners current Fabia vRS mk2

Edited by vrskeith

It must be a DSG thing but you stick your foot down, not to the floor but enough to say you want to go and in normal or Eco you can sometimes find yourself having a mini moment.

It does not react as I would expect a normal car in the correct gear to do but I found this very early on in my ownership and pull the stick back into sport in anticipation as I approach situations and the throttle has a more instant feel :)

Just need to keep my ears open for a cheap pedal box as I can't justify the price of a new one when pulling the stick back has a similar effect.

Edited by Defenderben

There are 3 issues:  One is the slight DSG hesitancy when it has not properly anticipated what you are about to do, typical when slowing down at a roundabout or junction when it thinks you are about to stop but you actually see a gap and want to accelerate so the box has to reselect the next up gear not the down gear it was expecting, this causes the slight hesitation before accelerating.  Putting the box into Sport mode certainly helps eliminate this as the box holds the current gear longer so it is more likely to be ready to accelerate when needed.  The box does seem to help in this situation but I am unsure why, probably related to either issue 2 or 3 below.

The second issue is the lack of response from the throttle for the first 1/2 to 1 inch of throttle travel, the box minimises this but some people do not notice this due to their driving style, or simply the fact that they have got use to it. Putting the DSG box in sport does not affect this issue but does sharpen up the response once passed this initial travel. This 'dead' spot appears to be built in to most/all Golfs probably to help achieve the 'official' mpg figures.

The third is that the box does sharpen up throttle response by increasing the throttle signal to the ECU by amplifying the throttle signal, this is noticeable even when in Sport/Race mode but effectively gives you Sport response when in normal mode and even sharper response in Sport/Race mode.  This has caused some people with DSG boxes and who have set the box to its higher settings to have problems with jerkyness as the throttle signal is to highly amplified for the ECU and DSG Box computers to handle.  There seems to be no issues with the box set to settings 1 to 1+3 and some DSG owners have found setting 2 to be fine but setting 3 has caused DSG owners issues.

I currently run setting 1 and have had no problems and love the improved response.

• Like 1

It must be a DSG thing but you stick your foot down, not to the floor but enough to say you want to go and in normal or Eco you can sometimes find yourself having a mini moment.

It does not react as I would expect a normal car in the correct gear to do but I found this very early on in my ownership and pull the stick back into sport in anticipation as I approach situations and the throttle has a more instant feel :)

Just need to keep my ears open for a cheap pedal box as I can't justify the price of a new one when pulling the stick back has a similar effect.

Often come up for sale on these forums when people move up from DTUK FSR+ and Pedal Boxes to a full remap

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=117.0

• Like 2

Often come up for sale on these forums when people move up from DTUK FSR+ and Pedal Boxes to a full remap

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=117.0

Thanks for the info and the heads up, much appreciated :)

Hope you are enjoying the new "R"

Edited by Defenderben

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

octavia5,

So 2 months on since you picked up your R.

How is it going for you?

Have you added any further mods/updates?

Cheers.

Keith

Octavia5 gone missing ?

What's the latest on Project Golf R mk7

• 2 weeks later...

Not gone away but nothing really to report at the moment waiting for the weather to warn up.  Did give the car a proper wash today to get the winter grime off - looks like new again.

Also just booking a place on the Briskoda Track Day at Bedford on the 16th May to give then car a decent thrash.

• Like 2

Such a lovely day,just had to get some miles in on mine.

Funny how we start to get use to the power and start thinking I need more, had a fair few overtakes on some nice twisty A roads up around North Devon but always felt I needed more umph.

I think DSG certainly takes away a lot of the usual input and lulls you into a false sense of actual speed. Came up on a few bends a lot quicker than it felt :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Decided that I do not need any performance mods - getting old and the R is plenty fast enough - but

Added paddle extensions and now I use Sport Manual Mode most of the time, with the soundacator disabled the and a few more miles on the clock the exhaust now has a nice bark and deep warbles when changing gear, no pops and crackles as others have reported.

DSCN0553%20copy_zpsm3knjibr.jpg

In real life they are a perfect gloss Black match for the interior but the camera seem to pick up an off Black sheen. Attached by 3 small grub screws which are not visible from the driving position but I may try and apply some black permanent marker  to better camouflage them.

Also fitted a matching left footrest - why VW does not fit them as standard who knows, so we have to buy them from the enterprising Chinese

Before

DSCN0550%20copy_zpspdojbebk.jpg

After

DSCN0560%20copy_zpsuiec7z2l.jpg

DSCN0559%20copy_zpstvqrpwm6.jpg

10 mins to fit with the help of a rubber mallet to tap it down onto the retainers - one screw fitment to hold in place. Makes the interior look so much better

Edited by octavia5
  • Like 3

Significantly cheaper to buy direct from Aliexpress - good reviewws and I have used them for many items with no problems -

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-RHD-VW-Golf-7-MK7-Seat-mk3-footrest-pedals-Car-pedal-Cover/32218031571.html

This is the one I have fitted and its great quality, but I can not guaranty that it will fit anything but a MK7 Golf and price equates to 34.78, click on the USD at the top right of the screen and you can change to pricing to ££s and pay in ££s

To get an idea if it will fit the Yety I suggest you remove the current footrest and look underneath at the fittings, the Golf one slides up for off and down for fitting.  There are 2 holes in the Golf floor and 2 slots in 2 projections underneath the footrest which slide down into the holes in the floor.  if you have the same sort of thing then it might fit - this is not a guarantee just some info to help you decide whether to risk it and order one, you could become a Yety hero if it fits or waste £34 or try and resell it to a UK Golf owner.

Edited by octavia5
  • Like 2

If anyone is interested in trying to fit the Golf footrest to their Skoda then hopefully this pic of the underside of the standard Golf footrest will help. If yours looks the same then it is probable that the Golf replacement will fit OK - your risk though, no guarantees from me.

It is easy to remove the standard footrest, a single T20 screw to remove and then push the standard footrest upward and it comes off, refitting is just the reverse and is easy for the standard cover.

DSCN0572_zpsvtwbkrpc.jpg

Edited by octavia5
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Like them or Loath them, I now have some protection - a DIY solution as VW do not OEM Mud Flaps for the R, total cost £10 plus bits I had already.

DSCN0639%20copy_zpsl7db4xpy.jpg

DSCN0623%20copy_zpsbewcyuwu.jpg

Edited by octavia5
  • Like 1

Did you cut up some old rubber floor mats? :)

That's what they suggested on the R forum, but no. I bought a set of 'Universal Maud Flaps' of Ebay for a £10er - they are actually quite good quality for so little cash and with a little trimming they fit quite easily and anything that helps protect the rather soft VW paintwork is fine by me.

• Like 1