Yeti no4 ordered

wakev

On my 4th also  2 x 1.2s then a  140 and the present 170 , have been well pleased with all of them, no problems other than a loose roll bar on the 1st 1.2 which was quickly rectified .

1 cracked windscreen and 2 unrepairable tyres in 5 ish years

The 1st was in "Steel Grey"  then "Cappuccino"  followed by "Petrol Blue" and the present " Muscovado" .

The  4 x 4 obviously give me reassurance when venturing down the muddy tracks on my way to fishing venues and also a bit more poke when overtaking.

The MPG on all the engines has been reasonable , but I will be interested to see what sort of returns owners of the new 150 4 x 4 petrol get when their cars have a few miles on them.

Enjoy your 4th wakev

• Like 1

Wow Wakev. Almost on your 4th Yeti!

I am still on my original from 2009.

Time for a new one then  :happy:

The Yeti is one car we've never felt the need to change regularly.

We do tend to change cars quite often, yet we've both had our 12 plate Yetis for almost three years.

Partly because they seem pretty reliable.

Partly because the wife and myself just don't find the new face Skodas appealing.

But the latter is obviously a personal thing.

Agree with the above, particularly the view that the current Skoda line-up has lost some of its appeal over previous models.

Will not be rushing to replace the Spaceback and I could be tempted to try other brand when it does come time to move it on, as we did with the V40, which to date has proved to be an excellent motor.

TP

Problem I have got is what make/model do I get after the Yeti? The Yeti is the right size and appeal but I suspect the new 2016/7 Yeti will be "corporatised" and lose the appeal of the current model - and that, in my opinion, lost much of it's individuality when Skoda updated it.

I've looked at many of it's natural competitors in the same price bracket but they tend to be more stylised with smaller windows and less room inside. Guess I will keep my 2012 Yeti and hope that someone launches something competitive in the next 2 years. Fall back position is to buy one of the run-out versions of the current Yeti before it's replaced with the new model.

• Like 2

We do tend to change cars quite often, yet we've both had our 12 plate Yetis for almost four years.

Partly because the wife and myself just don't find the new face Skodas appealing.

Fixed that for you - time flies when you're having fun!

I've had my '12 plate three & a half years now, and have no plans to change it. I'm not sure if I'll hold onto it as long as I had the Octavia (nine years) but we'll see...

• Like 1

And the 16" Moons would still fit... ;)

Yes, that's one advantage. However, things that need addressing include:

1. Road Noise

2. More economic engines

3. Ride Comfort (but 16" wheels help with that).

None of these items are are deal breakers but neither would they be that difficult for Skoda to improve on the existing Yeti. However, with VAG's current problems I doubt whether much spare investment is left to work on existing models.

Yes, that's one advantage. However, things that need addressing include:

1. Road Noise

2. More economic engines

3. Ride Comfort (but 16" wheels help with that).

None of these items are are deal breakers but neither would they be that difficult for Skoda to improve on the existing Yeti. However, with VAG's current problems I doubt whether much spare investment is left to work on existing models.

VW Australia now indicate the maintenance their CO2 emissions and economy 'post fix' are not yet guaranteed to remain the same.......(increase/decrease)

And Yeti's aero efficiency and surface area, effectively guarantee at best no improvement without fundamental change of design.

SUVs simply can't be slippery.

Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 1

VW Australia now indicate the maintenance their CO2 emissions and economy 'post fix' are not yet guaranteed to remain the same.......(increase/decrease)

And Yeti's aero efficiency and surface area, effectively guarantee at best no improvement without fundamental change of design.

SUVs simply can't be slippery.

You are right SUV's by their nature are not as aerodynamic as many conventional cars. However, Skoda could still fit the most efficient VAG engines - 1.4 ACT for example. As I said I guess they have bigger problems at the moment particularly as VW sales dropped by over 20% last month in the UK (year on year comparison).

You are right SUV's by their nature are not as aerodynamic as many conventional cars. However, Skoda could still fit the most efficient VAG engines - 1.4 ACT for example. As I said I guess they have bigger problems at the moment particularly as VW sales dropped by over 20% last month in the UK (year on year comparison).

I'm finding my new 150 tdi DSG is about 3mpg down on my previous 170 tdi (same basic engine as with the Yeti) Seat Exeo for my daily 13 mile commute - 50/50 town and 70mph dual-carriageway. Getting around 38mpg from cold, however it does seem to stay in the mid/high 30's around town where the Seat would drop. Then again it's also only done 200 miles on the clock so that may improve, I hope so! :D

Edited by Jimrod

I'm finding my new 150 tdi DSG is about 3mpg down on my previous 170 tdi (same basic engine as with the Yeti) Seat Exeo for my daily 13 mile commute - 50/50 town and 70mph dual-carriageway. Getting around 38mpg from cold, however it does seem to stay in the mid/high 30's around town where the Seat would drop. Then again it's also only done 200 miles on the clock so that may improve, I hope so! :D

Interesting ,could that be because you have the DSG?

My 150 tdi manual is around 3-5 mpg better than my previous 170 tdi.

Interesting ,could that be because you have the DSG?

My 150 tdi manual is around 3-5 mpg better than my previous 170 tdi.

It's possible, it looks to be a few mpg difference from the manual though the DSG has things like the coast function when you lift off which in theory should balance things a bit. On paper (or rather "official figures") the Yeti should be about 3mpg up on the Exeo - due to aerodynamics the Exeo does better at speed and the Yeti better for urban driving though, this seems to pan out so far.

I'd be interested to know how people's mpg has changed with mileage, if at all. With only 200 miles on the clock I'd expect mine to get better as I get that up to a couple of thousand but that could be an old wive's tale, based on older engine tolerances etc...

Edited by Jimrod

We do tend to change cars quite often, yet we've both had our 12 plate Yetis for almost three years.

As regards the Yeti I was originally looking for second-hand and preferred the front of the original. Liked the big round lights and as has been said gave it some character.

But the deal on new with 0% etc. was too good to miss and having owned a FL for a few months I now prefer the look of it and think the designers have got it right - modernised it a bit without going too far. The rest of the vehicle is virtually the same anyway so overall it can't be said that it's lost it's individuality.

As others say it may well do so when it is extensively updated.

I'd be interested to know how people's mpg has changed with mileage, if at all. With only 200 miles on the clock I'd expect mine to get better as I get that up to a couple of thousand but that could be an old wive's tale, based on older engine tolerances etc...

My 170 averaged 39 mpg over the first 1000 miles from new, 40 mpg for the next 1000. A year on the average was around 41.5. The long term average over the time I've had it is 41.75. So there was a slight increase, but not much.

Having said that I did drive according to the book for the first 1000 miles, and now it gets driven quite a bit harder (a remap encouraged this) but still returns the same figures as early on. 

My previous Octavia was similar, with only around  1 mpg difference between the first 1000 miles and the last 1000, nine years later. 

My 170 averaged 39 mpg over the first 1000 miles from new, 40 mpg for the next 1000. A year on the average was around 41.5. The long term average over the time I've had it is 41.75. So there was a slight increase, but not much.

Having said that I did drive according to the book for the first 1000 miles, and now it gets driven quite a bit harder (a remap encouraged this) but still returns the same figures as early on. 

My previous Octavia was similar, with only around  1 mpg difference between the first 1000 miles and the last 1000, nine years later. 

Cheers for the info!

I'm still a bit annoyed that I didn't get to drive mine for the first 100 miles and the delivery driver wouldn't listen when I asked him to drive it harder for the first 20 or so to really bed the piston rings in. Economy at 70 definitely seems low - high 30's average so far where my friend gets low 40's at 80mph with 500 miles on the clock (same spec car). I've been driving carefully too, perhaps it'll settle down a little over the next few hundred... It's always hard to tell exactly as we move into winter and the temperature drops, fuel mixes change etc.

From all the owner's info I can see on the 2.0tdi in the Yeti, the average should work out at mid to low 40's in the real world - with the newer 150 I'd expect that to be improved upon a bit. I'll update when I've cleared the 1,000 mark and see how it's going! :)

Edited by Jimrod

I think you are worrying  too much. I've never over taken a delivery driver on the motorway!  And I can't see 100 miles making any difference. Any way would you be able to tell unless it was delivered complete with speeding ticket?

Fred

• Like 2

I think you are worrying too much. I've never over taken a delivery driver on the motorway! And I can't see 100 miles making any difference. Any way would you be able to tell unless it was delivered complete with speeding ticket?

Fred

This was the theory I was referring to, based on motorcycle engines but principle is the same for all combustion engines, I have two friends who work as engineers for F1 teams and they agree it's the best way to run an engine in, there's a limited window of opportunity though;

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Unless my MPG rises soon the theory would seem to have some ring of truth as my friend is averaging 3-4 mpg more than me and we ran hers in the way stated above. She has been driving at higher speeds than me too and accelerating harder in general! They are the same spec cars just three weeks apart in delivery.

*Edit: not meaning to sound like an "I know people" type, just that people with vastly more knowledge on engines than me have explained the theory to me and say it works, they spend half their lives building and dismantling engines! :D

Edited by Jimrod

"building and dismantling" This theory has been around for years. How many years of service do your mates expect to get from the engines they build? I have no reason to doubt that this approach may work for the short term, engineers who build for road use have a long term view and I suspect they know what they are doing. 

This was the theory I was referring to, based on motorcycle engines but principle is the same for all combustion engines, I have two friends who work as engineers for F1 teams and they agree it's the best way to run an engine in, there's a limited window of opportunity though;

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Unless my MPG rises soon the theory would seem to have some ring of truth as my friend is averaging 3-4 mpg more than me and we ran hers in the way stated above. She has been driving at higher speeds than me too and accelerating harder in general! They are the same spec cars just three weeks apart in delivery.

*Edit: not meaning to sound like an "I know people" type, just that people with vastly more knowledge on engines than me have explained the theory to me and say it works, they spend half their lives building and dismantling engines! :D

Having motorbikes I've read that running-in procedure before.

Whilst it sounds good, as I've stated in another thread (and mentioned in the link), it won't work for us new car owners because of the synthetic oil that's in our cars from day one. It's too good and doesn't allow the rings to bed in however hard you drive it, so in my book I don't think it makes much difference how we run our cars in, especially as the writer says it is the first 20 miles that is the most important - some of that will be done as part of the PDI over which we have no control.  

What was interesting was reading the recommendation that the oil should be changed after 20 miles! Never mind what was the usual 500/1000 miles first service, I've never been happy with the now common long-life servicing where the first oil change could be 20k. miles or 2 years.

I had the oil and filter changed on the TT at 12 months/3000 miles (despite the service woman almost arguing with me saying it wasn't needed!) and wished I'd had it done sooner really.

Edited by VAGCF

I've NEVER 'bedded the rings in' and never had an oil consumption issue with any (all) the cars I've owned.

They've been pampered from day one.....I just can't bring myself to do anything I feel is in any way obusive.

Same here, I always baby my cars and bikes and have never had oil usage problems.

Can't argue with the logic, it's just not applicable to the cars we buy. Rebuilt and racing engines yes.