Fabia vrs rear brake disc and pad change.

Carl1990

Hi all,

I was just wondering when changing the rear discs and pads does the car have to be park or neutral with the handbrake on or off? Bit of a new one on me. Used to doing manual cars. First time with an auto.

Cheers

It's worth a mention just incase you didn't know but the calipers don't push back, you need the special tool for it. I made that mistake when doing mine, luckily I had a friendly garage nearby who borrowed me their tool.

Edited by LGM

Yeah. Had two new tyres fitted a month ago, the guy checked the pads and said they were registering red on his gauge. Also the discs are heavily corroded. And for £50 it's cheap enough to do.

My dealer wanted 250 for rear discs and pads - aye, right!
  • Like 1

some places are mad for prices! .... when I change the fronts, I use expensive pads (may go for the stupidly expensive but massively track worthy tarox corsa's next year!) but the discs are like £20 lol .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TO-CLEAR-NEW-COMLINE-FRONT-BRAKE-DISCS-X2-ADC1407V-/351421842373?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Model%3AFabia|Cars+Year%3A2013&hash=item51d25fc3c5:g:tHkAAOSwBahVdpkf

Skoda National Pricing offers are rather expensive.

Near £500 for front and rear Discs and Pads done by them.

£100 Parts including VAT,  

so you are paying near £100 including VAT per corner for their Labour.

Never a 4 hour or even a 2 hour job.  But that is business, and skills, & profits and overheads, 

if you can DIY then sorted.  Or someone more realistic in pricing.

http://skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

It's worth a mention just incase you didn't know but the calipers don't push back, you need the special tool for it. I made that mistake when doing mine, luckily I had a friendly garage nearby who borrowed me their tool.

sorry, is this just for the rears or is this the case for the front too? I've done 52k on my front brake pads so far and even though they should last until it's next service in 4-5000miles, I'd ideally like to replace them myself soon. On other cars I've had it's been an easy job, but i'd buy the tool to do it if this is the case.

• Like 1

The front Pistons just push back into the housing as the handbrake mechanism doesn't act on them. the front Pistons just move in and out. Where the rear Pistons basically ratchet out.

Great, thanks very much! I've ordered some standard ferodo pads from 'mister-auto'. Apparently parts come from Belgium but they were only £21 odd and £30 on Amazon. So I'm hoping they're the real things and will be good. Thought I'd give them a go as they were no more than other brands on ECP.

Edited by MillsyVRS