Wheels on a Scout

in2k

I want to change the summer wheels on my 08 Scout for something else than the std 17's, as their look just dont do anything for me.

By the looks of the Scout register, there should be loads of Scouts here, but,

I just cant seem to find many pictures of cars with rims other than the std ones. Not here or the interweb,

So my question is, does anyone have pictures of their or others with some decent 17" or 18" wheels mounted?

There are many pictures of nice lowered cars, but the same wheels on a raised car might not look as good. :p

Tip about width and ET is also appreciated, as it seem the front wheels on a Scout tend to poke out, compared to lowered cars who benefit from a more narrow track.

Cheers

Kristian

Edited by in2k

The Scout runs 225/50 R17.

There are lots of used Scouts running around in the UK with the wrong size tyres on, usually a 45 profile, mainly because the 50 profile in a 225 is quite a rare tyre.

The issue is you can spot them a mile away, they just look wrong, very 'under-wheeled'.

I actually like the factory standard Proteus alloys fitted to the Scout, I had mine refurbished recently...

IMG_6033_zps6efb198c.jpg

CastleHoward_zps13b3bf90.jpg

Try this thread for images of Scouts sitting on different wheels. There are quite a few Scout's running with a seperate set of alloys fitted with winter tyres...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/215362-show-us-your-winter-wheels/

IMG_0945.jpg

i-q6dQ759-M.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

bh1.jpg

jan17h2012001.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

Scoutside.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

P1130305_zps4a3e2bbe.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Hi Silver,

Out of interest, where did you get your wheels refurbished and what was the cost?  My Proteus wheels are doing the normal delamination thing and I'm planning to get them refurbished or possibly powder coated once the winter's done.  I knew in advance that they'd likely delaminate like all the Scout wheels seem to, but to be fair they do a lot of this .....it's already winter here.

PB300081_zps4asvsxod.jpg

Kind Regards

Ian

Edited by mountainandsea

Great picture Ian, it's nice to see a Scout in it's natural territory, rather than mine which is often clogging up the roads outside our local primary school!

I live in York but work around Durham. I did quite a bit of research on the pro's and cons of paint vs. powder coating and also mobile repairs vs. workshop.

I settled for paint and a workshop. After visiting several motoring forums a company called SEM in Sunderland kept getting very good reviews, which luckily for me was 30 minutes up the road from work.

I popped in one dinnertime and they are properly old school, blokes in dirty overalls working out of an old industrial unit. Using their hands and years of experience to create a great finish. I've had two sets refurbed now (both 17") and they charged me £246 inc. VAT.

The ones on the Scout have been on for a year or two now and still look like new.

This is their website...

http://semalloys.co.uk/

Edited by silver1011

Hi Silver,

Out of interest, where did you get your wheels refurbished and what was the cost?  My Proteus wheels are doing the normal delamination thing and I'm planning to get them refurbished or possibly powder coated once the winter's done.  I knew in advance that they'd likely delaminate like all the Scout wheels seem to, but to be fair they do a lot of this .....it's already winter here.

PB300081_zps4asvsxod.jpg

Kind Regards

Ian

There's a powder coating company in Inverurie that has a good name. Plenty of people from Elgin direction used them.

Thanks for the replies!

The 18's really fill the arches well, looks great!

The Scout runs 225/50 R17.

There are lots of used Scouts running around in the UK with the wrong size tyres on, usually a 45 profile, mainly because the 50 profile in a 225 is quite a rare tyre.

The issue is you can spot them a mile away, they just look wrong, very 'under-wheeled'.

Not sure if the 225/50-17 such is a rare tire, a quick search on sites like mytire.co.uk gave many hits.

I have to agree with you about those on the 45 profile tho, it dont look right.

This is also the case with the winter wheels. 205/55-16, its even smaller than the 225/45-17.  :giggle:

Smaller diameter wheels during the winter just dont make sense.

Smaller diameter wheels during the winter just dont make sense.

It does when there is heavy snow around. It's an absolute pig to clear out the wheel arches of compacted snow when your average temperature is -5°C, with 17 inch rims fitted. The alternative is to suffer Squeaky Bum Syndrome every time you hit a bump or pothole.

We've only had a few days of light snow in the last month, but the temperature over the last fortnight has barely risen above 4°C. The highest we got was yesterday at 6°C.

It does when there is heavy snow around. It's an absolute pig to clear out the wheel arches of compacted snow when your average temperature is -5°C, with 17 inch rims fitted. The alternative is to suffer Squeaky Bum Syndrome every time you hit a bump or pothole.

We've only had a few days of light snow in the last month, but the temperature over the last fortnight has barely risen above 4°C. The highest we got was yesterday at 6°C.

Yes, but then the Scout do have more than enough room to clear it out when fitted with 205's.

I had that in the back of my head when I ditched the 205/55-16's that came with the car for some 205/60-16's.

c81f6322-778b-4e70-8be2-ad1d151127dc_zps

The difference isnt huge, but it helps!  :)

Thanks Silver, Goneoffski and Meta55b - very helpful replies.  I'll look into getting them done in the Spring; the delamination just looks bad!

Kind Regards

Ian

• Like 1