Creaking clutch pedal

Bigac

yeah,  im 4 weeks in  1200 miles and mine sounds like a garden gate 

also -  anyone feel the brake is a touch cushiony in travel,  and travels  a fair bit    , pretty ballon like  or cushion like under the foot

and not as hard or quick as youd expect to clamp down ? 

ive mailed the  dealer in any case 

Edited by dadumtish

Some of the pedal on wife's new Polo make or made a noise, but I put it down to the "modern" usual use of "badly spec'd" plastics used on the pedal shaft bushes. The fix, if that is the reason, will be a quick squirt of something to lubricate it for a while.

• Like 1

i had a look and it seems to be either the push rod into the cylinder or the spring  sitting above the cylinder    (  seems to be the push rod though  ) 

i sprayed a shed load of silicon lube  on them both and it seems to have sorted it so far.

just wish the brake pedal felt a tad firmer ,  its stops lovely ,  but i prefer a bit more of a solid pedal .

Edited by dadumtish

i had a look and it seems to be either the push rod into the cylinder or the spring  sitting above the cylinder    (  seems to be the push rod though  ) 

i sprayed a shed load of silicon lube  on them both and it seems to have sorted it so far.

just wish the brake pedal felt a tad firmer ,  its stops lovely ,  but i prefer a bit more of a solid pedal .

Ah, yes, now that you have said that, I remember being a bit concerned when I reported a creaking clutch pedal on my Audi S4 when it was in for a service at 2 years old, my worry was that if there was creaking, there would now be the probability that there would be a flat worn on either the push rod if it was plastic, or the cup that presses against it, so lubing it at that age would not last too long - 19 months on , so far so good. Which should translate into, if any of the pedals on wife's new Polo creak, now is the time to get some lovely superlube on the bearing surfaces.

Edit:- I seem to remember that there is an over centre spring arrangement on one of the pedals on my Audi S4 - maybe a common design across the VAG marques. As well as switches that might also be part of the problem.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

The creaking is really anoying. Although build quality is properly fine, the sound makes the pedal sound cheap and does not exactly inspire confidence... Is there any sound way to make it go away? Silicon spray or preferable to visit the skoda mechanic?

i tried ,  i think the only fix is grease on the push road , and the spring assembly that sits at the pedal joint .

pedals are made of plastic as well, which seems pretty cheap .

Think you'll find the brake pedal is metal though.   I was concerned about that too - can't remember why I was looking - just like to know where everything is !!! 

Accelerator pedal is plastic too.

So, guess they deem the "non-critical" pedals OK to make from recycled Lego.

Thankfully, my pedals are nice and quiet !

Did I see a Spirit reg-plate surround on your photo ??  I got mine in Sandyford too. Had the car back with a tiny niggle - and they were extremely helpful.

The mech who took my car out to check, gave me a full tech explanation of what was happening.

Just in case you consider popping in there - which I did - on spec  !!  No appointment !

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Does anyone know how much the above repairs (replacement. Master cylinder and clutch pedal) would cost and should it definitely fix the problem or would the replacement parts have to be just as cheaply built? I've just bought a nice enough MkIII TSI 95bhp, but on my first two journeys, after 20 miles the clutch pedal gets super squeaky every time it is pushed and released.

I have a 7 day moneyback option and a 3 month warranty but I'm interested to know the possible cost of repairs incase I end up down the line having to get this repaired at an independent garage (as the company I bought the car from are not inspiring confidence).

On 13/12/2015 at 11:49, Bigac said:

Update

Had my dealer look at it on Saturday, they have ordered a new master cylinder and clutch pedel,tried applying spray lub did not stop it though.

Edited by Brucemagoose511

On 28/02/2021 at 14:01, Brucemagoose511 said:

Does anyone know how much the above repairs (replacement. Master cylinder and clutch pedal) would cost and should it definitely fix the problem or would the replacement parts have to be just as cheaply built? I've just bought a nice enough MkIII TSI 95bhp, but on my first two journeys, after 20 miles the clutch pedal gets super squeaky every time it is pushed and released.

I have a 7 day moneyback option and a 3 month warranty but I'm interested to know the possible cost of repairs incase I end up down the line having to get this repaired at an independent garage (as the company I bought the car from are not inspiring confidence).

I had this done under a month ago and it was the fix.

I got this done at a local garage (not a stealership) with the newer revised OEM part, £183 for parts and labour.

Skoda themselves was going to take 2 weeks just to supply the part for a premium, trade supplier had one in stock and was cheaper.

• Like 1

Top info, thanks.  Was this just the clutch pedal you got changed and not the master cylinder? Was the replacement pedal also plastic?

Just trying to make sure I can get the right parts ordered by my local garage if, as I suspect, the company that sold me it mess me about with the warranty. If my worst case scenario is a couple of hundred quid I'll be keeping the car.

31 minutes ago, Brucemagoose511 said:

Top info, thanks.  Was this just the clutch pedal you got changed and not the master cylinder? Was the replacement pedal also plastic?

Just trying to make sure I can get the right parts ordered by my local garage if, as I suspect, the company that sold me it mess me about with the warranty. If my worst case scenario is a couple of hundred quid I'll be keeping the car.

The clutch pedal didn't get replaced as it ended up not being the problem, the master cylinder was.

Unfortunately, the master cylinder is still plastic but it seems like preventative maintenance will stop it making noise if it is kept lubricated with grease that won't dry (that's how mine went bad, thanks Skoda!)

• Like 1