Brake wear

26DIPP

Measure the thickness of the disk too. It looks like there's a decent ridge on each side of the braking surface, so they're probably pretty close to their wear limit too. The minimum allowable thickness of the disk is often stamped on the outer rim of the disk.

• Like 1

Happy to say I had to change rear and front pads on my previous car Superb II 09 after 170000 miles. Service wanted to change them at 140000 but I refused. So you must be heavy braking fella @26DIPP

I have just had my 170 4x4 serviced at 3yrs and 25000 miles. I was told the front pads are 20%worn, the rears 10%.

Strangely enough, even though I had been told a year earlier by another dealer that the discs needed replacing at 17000 miles 'because they are so badly corroded' the car sailed through the MOT ( no advisories) and when I asked about the discs they were said to be in good condition.....

Edited by Bristolf2b

Happy to say I had to change rear and front pads on my previous car Superb II 09 after 170000 miles. Service wanted to change them at 140000 but I refused. So you must be heavy braking fella @26DIPP

Was that the first set?  That's some mileage regardless of driving style

@Superb170 Yes, that was first from new. I bought my Superb with 18000 miles on the clock. My tyres lasted 65000 at the back and 30000 at the front. This car was amazing and hope I will be doing as well with the new one

@Superb170 Yes, that was first from new. I bought my Superb with 18000 miles on the clock. My tyres lasted 65000 at the back and 30000 at the front. This car was amazing and hope I will be doing as well with the new one

Thats really impressive. 65k on any set of tyres is exceptional. You're obviously quite a conscientious driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't tell if it's (1) the backing plate reflecting in the disc or (2) the pad thickness is about 3/4 of the backing plate thickness.

If it's #1 then they need changing.

If #2 then (back when discs weren't considered sacrificial) I would change then soonish.  These days, as the discs are also throw-away - I'd leave it until they are almost metal-on-metal

Measure the thickness of the disk too. It looks like there's a decent ridge on each side of the braking surface, so they're probably pretty close to their wear limit too. The minimum allowable thickness of the disk is often stamped on the outer rim of the disk.

Thanks guys. The front pads were down to 3.5 and 5mm remaining, and the discs at 23.6mm and 23.5mm (min 22mm). I think the front discs are original (have done 79,000 miles).

Rear pads are good but discs down to 11mm (min 10mm) so I'll order new discs all round and front pads (best to replace the full pad and discs eh?).

Questions.... given parts are expensive in NZ, I'll order ex UK (depending on postage). Can anyone recommend a good online supplier (GSF)? I presume Jurid is an OK disc brand (probably get Brembos which are only a fiver more) and Vetch and Jurid are OK for pads? Any other options recommendations appreciated. 

thanks

Matt

Based on your description I assume you mean new PADS all round, and new DISCS on the rear.

From experience, front discs need replacing at half the mileage of rear discs.

If you do change all of the discs, also change all of the pads.

Never put part worn pads onto new discs.

I don't know about shipping costs from UK to NZ, but I do know that a full set of discs and pads are bl00dy heavy. I did parts delivery driving part time for 6 months and hand balling half a dozen sets to the local emergency services workshop's parts dept. each week used to knacker me for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Just do the lot.  Your rotors are beyond machining.  It's bad practice to run used pads with new rotors as a lot of the brakes rely on material transfer to work at optimum friction. 

As I said - run them down until they hit metal (or near to it).  Monitor the wear and buy the parts a month before you think you'll need them.

There's a NZ based guy on the AusSkoda facebook page that does Skoda parts.  You might also look at the AUS based supplier Brakes Direct. They have some great options and you'd get change from AUD550 plus postage. Be 100% sure about the rotor sizes and brake pad profile as they do vary (measure & take some photos).

My best mate runs a tyre & brake place in Tauranga (we worked together in brakes & suspension in Sydney).  If you are hitting brick walls he can probably hook you up.  If nothing else, he does great wheel alignments.  It's a nice 2.5hr drive over to BoP.

I'd do the brake fluid as well - unless it's been done in the last 12m.  Get the to hook a computer onto it and cycle the ABS pump first - it's unbelievable the amount of black crap that comes out of that unit.

• Like 1

Thats really impressive. 65k on any set of tyres is exceptional. You're obviously quite a conscientious driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not really. I use however brakes only when needed and try to accelerate and slow down by looking far ahead and if possible, let the car slow down naturally from wheel rolling resistance, the wind etc. 

Based on your description I assume you mean new PADS all round, and new DISCS on the rear.

From experience, front discs need replacing at half the mileage of rear discs.

If you do change all of the discs, also change all of the pads.

Never put part worn pads onto new discs.

I don't know about shipping costs from UK to NZ, but I do know that a full set of discs and pads are bl00dy heavy. I did parts delivery driving part time for 6 months and hand balling half a dozen sets to the local emergency services workshop's parts dept. each week used to knacker me for the rest of the day.

I just had a look on the Brembo website and found the following:

front discs when new 25mm, min 22mm (mine at 23.5mm, half worn?)

front pads when new 20mm (mine at 3.5mm need replacing)

rear discs when new 12mm thick, min 10mm (mine at 11mm, half worn?)

rear pads when new 17-18mm (mine at 8mm OK?)

So, I guess the news isn't as grim as I thought. Will get new front pads and keep a good eye on wear from now on.

I just had a look on the Brembo website and found the following:

front discs when new 25mm, min 22mm (mine at 23.5mm, half worn?)

front pads when new 20mm (mine at 3.5mm need replacing)

rear discs when new 12mm thick, min 10mm (mine at 11mm, half worn?)

rear pads when new 17-18mm (mine at 8mm OK?)

So, I guess the news isn't as grim as I thought. Will get new front pads and keep a good eye on wear from now on.

I don't think you understand - you can't just change the pads (successfuly) on these (most Euro) vehicles.  The rotors are a sacrificial part and wear at pretty much the same rate as the pads.

You shouldn't fit new pads to un-machined rotors - the trouble is that most rotors need at least 1 mm taken off each side to come true.  But if you pull metal out of the rotor it reduces the heat carrying capacity (they are just a big heat sink) and they warp.

Try Brakes Direct or shop around for somewhere in NZ (there must be some discount Euro spares suppliers) or ebay.  

Front plain face Fremax (AUD63 each) or DBA (AUD89) rotors are both better quality than VW Genuine parts.  A set of Remsa OEM spec pads will be AUD90 and pump out a lot less dust.

Rears will be AUD60-80 each.  Pads about $90

• Like 1

I don't think you understand - you can't just change the pads (successfuly) on these (most Euro) vehicles.  The rotors are a sacrificial part and wear at pretty much the same rate as the pads.

You shouldn't fit new pads to un-machined rotors - the trouble is that most rotors need at least 1 mm taken off each side to come true.  But if you pull metal out of the rotor it reduces the heat carrying capacity (they are just a big heat sink) and they warp.

Try Brakes Direct or shop around for somewhere in NZ (there must be some discount Euro spares suppliers) or ebay.  

Front plain face Fremax (AUD63 each) or DBA (AUD89) rotors are both better quality than VW Genuine parts.  A set of Remsa OEM spec pads will be AUD90 and pump out a lot less dust.

Rears will be AUD60-80 each.  Pads about $90

Ah, that makes sense. So its not like the old days where you'd get 2-3 sets of pads per disc, understood. I have sent a quote request to some local suppliers. Thanks very much for your help!