Spare Wheel Options in December Brochure

New Brochure has two entries for spare wheel.....

Temporary spare wheel  Not available on 2.0 Tsi 280PS or in combination with variable boot floor.

Temporary space-saver spare wheel - Only available on 2.0 Tsi 280PS or in combination with variable boot floor.

So is the former full size - if so why not fit a 'normal' spare wheel. Car Configurator still only has the space-saver as an option.

I think it's something to do with the thickness, that is when it's lying on its side, cannot have a flat boot floor.

There was a move away from full size spares few years ago for two reasons, cost, and the extra weight affected the fuel consumption. Is the normal spare more expensive ?

New Brochure has two entries for spare wheel.....

Temporary spare wheel  Not available on 2.0 Tsi 280PS or in combination with variable boot floor.

Temporary space-saver spare wheel - Only available on 2.0 Tsi 280PS or in combination with variable boot floor.

So is the former full size - if so why not fit a 'normal' spare wheel. Car Configurator still only has the space-saver as an option.

The 280 is AWD, maybe the boot floor recess won't accept the usual 205 / 16 spare tyre?  

First time I ever will have had to rely on the repair kits. Has anyone experience of using them before, and if so what are they like to use? I have heard that a new tyre has to be bought after it is used...

Have a read of this, and then decide. Granted it's just one side of the argument and there will be many stories the other way.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313826-if-youre-thinking-of-not-ordering-a-spare-wheel-think-again

• Like 1

I have variable boot floor on a combi. Car delivered with skinny space saver spare. Replaced with full size spare...fits fine.

When you say "full size" - do you mean same size rim & tyre as fitted on the car ? Or the slightly-larger-but-not-as-big-as-whats-on-the-car size ?

Ours has the skinny one too, under the VBF.

I mean full size wheel (on steel though not alloy) and I also have 4x4 combi, variable floor etc. It fits...but if anyone wants a skinny spacesaver, I've one to sell. My issue is that I work abroad. Had a puncture on my Mk II combi teo years ago in Poland. Polish garage said they couldn't source the low profile tyre for L&K as its not supplied there because of bumpy roads. Eventually sourced in Cz, took three days to arrive (which was fine as it was a long job). But don't want to think about a 300 mile drive on speed restricted space saver (35mph...all the way back to Germany?) again!

Have a read of this, and then decide. Granted it's just one side of the argument and there will be many stories the other way.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313826-if-youre-thinking-of-not-ordering-a-spare-wheel-think-again

Thanks for that - confirms what I was thinking! My car is a company car so maybe the weight savings might affect the tax banding, but I would have thought that leasing companies would have made a spare wheel compulsory rather than potentially having to replace tyres, but I suppose it all depends on the tyre package.

was about to start a spare wheel topic

I have the 17" Helios wheels -  can anybody give me the precise specs of either a space saver or full size wheel i need to get?

Edit - would a "r17 5 stud  sport alloy wheel with a 205/50/r17 tyre" suffice as something that i could stick on and crawl home or to the nearest garage?

Edited by peld