Yeti tyres

cookeworld

Hi there,

Wonder if you can help. I've got a 4x4 Yeti 140.

Thinking about getting a set of winter tyres .....

Tyre spec is 225x50x17 on my current tyres.

Can I increase the profile from 50 to 55?

225x55x17 should fit my rims, right?

Will it make any difference to ride, handling?

Thanks

Tim

You will find a very useful guide here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/148948-yeti-tyre-and-rim-guide/

I would ensure that the size you mention is one that is approved by Skoda for fitment, other wise you may run into insurance complications.

All Insurers that are members of the ABI have stated that you do not need to ask their permission in fitting winter tyres if you only fit manufacturers approved sizes.

225/55r17 are NOT approved!

Edited by Llanigraham

You will find a very useful guide here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/148948-yeti-tyre-and-rim-guide/

I would ensure that the size you mention is one that is approved by Skoda for fitment, other wise you may run into insurance complications.

All Insurers that are members of the ABI have stated that you do not need to ask their permission in fitting winter tyres if you only fit manufacturers approved sizes.

225/55r17 are NOT approved!

Probably won't cost much to add as a modification though. I just declared the non-standard wheels/tyres I fitted to our new Superb and it added £7 to the annual premium.

Increased circumference is less than 5% for the 225/55R17, so there should not be any problems.

I've used a couple of size calculators on tyre dealer websites, and they both recommend not exceeding a change of 2.5%.

But then, as per the other thread - Skoda appear to allow the use of 205/55/16 tyres instead of 215/60/16, which is a diameter reduction of 4.8%....

My Yeti is a MY 13, when choosing to put winter wheels and tyres on I chose the 205/55 ones as according to the hand book ( I think - my memory of it is now hazy!) they are the only ones that can be fitted with chains.

Steve

My Yeti is a MY 13, when choosing to put winter wheels and tyres on I chose the 205/55 ones as according to the hand book ( I think - my memory of it is now hazy!) they are the only ones that can be fitted with chains.

Steve

That is correct. worth baring in mind for skiing trips :-)

I have just purchased a set of 16's for winter ( as per the link ), not put on yet as recommendations are not to put on till average temp gets to 7 C, here in the S.East we have got nowhere near that yet :)