Wrong rear foglight working (Offside not working) - NEED MOT ASAP!

Hi all I was hoping that someone may be able to help me.

My 2011 UK Octavia VRS has just failed its MOT as the Offside rear foglight does not work but the nearside does work. I have checked the owners manual and only the Offside should be working! How can this be the case? The registration document shows that it was registered in the UK.

Is there a cheap and quick way to fix this? I can get it to work by running a cable from the nearside light which works when the engine is off but with the engine on it throws a light warning on the dash and they both go out.

Could I maybe cut the cable to the nearside foglight and run a cable to the offside ?

Could it be fixed with a laptop and connection cable if I can find someone close?

Any suggestions greatly received. I am stuck and really don't know what to do :( I need an MOT in the next couple of days!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any ides!

Thanks

Dan

If it is like the pre facelift then only one will work.  If this is the problem then VCDS will be able to turn the second one on for you. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/262215-list-of-vcds-owners-previously-known-as-vag-com/ <---- see this thread on people who could help you. 

If this is not the case I am sure someone will help you out ASAP on this for you.

Tom.

It seems that nobody has considered that the car could have had both lights (VCDS) enabled but maybe the offside bulb has actually blown?

The op says in his opening post that if he runs a wire to the offside it works so sounds like the bulb is ok to me.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

If the bulb had blown the tail (night) light wouldn't work ether.

The only way to activate both rear fog lights on the facelift (FL) is using VCP, VCDS won't do it.

A lot of UK registered Octavia's spent time overseas in Germany with the armed services, dealers over there are much better at swapping over the rear foglights.

As a last ditch attempt if you can't find anyone with VCP is to plead with your local Skoda dealer.

The VCDS owners map is a very useful tool, I'm surprised there isn't now one for VCP?

Try posting here, this is where most of the VCP owners hang out...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/23-diagnostics-vcds/

Try sending Mike a PM if you are in the North, there aren't many members more helpful...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/360757-vag-can-pro-vcp-in-north-yorksteesside/?hl=%2Bvcp#entry4291661

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

To get MOT quickly within the retest period, run a temporary wire from the working one to the other side and remove the lamp from the nearside....get your MOT then get someone with VCDS to take a look.

Technically you cannot drive the car after an MOT failure irrespective of its original renewal date as it has been inspected and failed :(

• Like 1

To get MOT quickly within the retest period, run a temporary wire from the working one to the other side and remove the lamp from the nearside....get your MOT then get someone with VCDS to take a look.

Technically you cannot drive the car after an MOT failure irrespective of its original renewal date as it has been inspected and failed :(

If it's an estate that may not work as a single filament bulb acts as both the rear light and fog light, the BCM varies the power.  If it's a hatch then it will be a dual filament bulb.

• Like 2

It seems that nobody has considered that the car could have had both lights (VCDS) enabled but maybe the offside bulb has actually blown?

Bulbs have been swapped sadly.. The voltage to the offside is significantly lower!

Ninja78 whereabouts are you? a member on here called mikeholroyd has the correct equipment & knowledge to activate both rear fogs on a facelift model so he may be able to sort this for you. 

Thanks Mikey. I am in Reading RG5. Anyone near ? Can pay in beer or similar lol ;)

Hadnt thought of that. Excellent suggestion. So taking the left side bulb out but leaving the offside in will stop the warning light and loss of both lights?

Will be trying this first thing tomorrow! Thanks so much!

I will get it looked at properly in the new year but cant afford massive expenses just before Xmas!!

If it's an estate that may not work as a single filament bulb acts as both the rear light and fog light, the BCM varies the power.  If it's a hatch then it will be a dual filament bulb.

Its a hatch and yes its a dual filament bulb! Just need to get through the MOT so I can get to work over Xmas. Happy to get it sorted properly in the new year..

Oh and my car was purchased by someone in the armed forces so may well have been abroad!

Its a hatch and yes its a dual filament bulb! Just need to get through the MOT so I can get to work over Xmas. Happy to get it sorted properly in the new year..

Oh and my car was purchased by someone in the armed forces so may well have been abroad!

Do you have a dealer near you?  Chances are it's just feeling european.

• Like 2

I'm over near Cambridge with the right kit, probably a little bit too far for you. Not sure if anyone closer has it.

Another plan is a local dealer that has access to ODIS-e, I posted some rough instructions a while back here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/359510-enabling-both-rear-fogs-on-o2-fl-yeti-success/?p=4326732

Assuming you can find such a dealer and they need help as it's not really a standard procedure, drop me a PM.

• Like 1

Hadnt thought of that. Excellent suggestion. So taking the left side bulb out but leaving the offside in will stop the warning light and loss of both lights?

Will be trying this first thing tomorrow! Thanks so much!

I will get it looked at properly in the new year but cant afford massive expenses just before Xmas!!

You won't be able to remove the bulb as it doubles up as a tail light, so the car will still fail on a defective tail light.

Although the hatch has twin filament bulbs I believe that only one filament is actually used (strange anomaly on the Octavia), the CANBUS alters the voltage to the 21W filament depending on the tail or fog function, like it does on the estate, but the estate only has single filament bulbs.

I think it sounds like the car has spent time over in Germany with the Armed Forces.

Can't remember what they call it but there is a test to ensure the headlights and fog lights are set-up correctly for use when residing over there, this is why I understand that the German Skoda dealers close to the bases are all pretty clued up when it comes to lighting.

Shame they didn't simply activate both sides, then the car would be set-up for the UK and Germany, unless there are specific rules in Germany for only one side working.