Opinion on camshaft kit

So I'll be replacing the turbo next year and wanting to do a top eng rebuild before bolting on a big turbo and pushing power.

Was just browsing eBay pricing things up for now and seen this kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/381330798060

(Bearings) Now I know and trust Glyco, used them for years and used those bearings when I rebuild my other Fabia last year.

(Camshaft) I have used FAI plenty in the past also for various different parts so trust them apart from this one quote! "THIS IS A CHILLED CAST CAMSHAFT."

(Tappets) These are advertised as camtec, I've never heard of them but searching seems they have links with FAI also.

I thought I was best off buying a "forged steel" camshaft but searching and a lot of big companies including performance manufacturers prefer chilled cast claiming its stronger...

No, chill cast steel blanks are cheaper but more than adequate for performance road applications, particularly turbo applications which don't have wild profiles anyway, no need for a billet cam.

No-one I know of would even bother to forge a cam since core strength isn't an issue like it is with conrods or cranks, cams don't break, they wear.

I will want to do something similar, but trying to find a concise approach of replacing parts while im in there. eg valve stem seals. I wont be doing this until summer.

I won't be doing the valve stem oil seals this time as I have no issues with burning oil or smoke, to change them a lot extra work is involved with removal of the exhaust, turbo, manifold, cylinder head then striping it down removing valves to access the stem seals.

No, chill cast steel blanks are cheaper but more than adequate for performance road applications, particularly turbo applications which don't have wild profiles anyway, no need for a billet cam.

No-one I know of would even bother to forge a cam since core strength isn't an issue like it is with conrods or cranks, cams don't break, they wear.

This is the one I have actually bought and used previously, was perfectly fine but as you can see costs a lot more. http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/150912327519

This is the one I have actually bought and used previously, was perfectly fine but as you can see costs a lot more. http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/150912327519

That's a billet cam made from a forged billet which is then ground, as you can see there isn't a single surface left on the billet which hasn't been machined, they're better quality but as I said it's a moot point since turbo profiles aren't wild and diesels don't rev so there's simply no need for the additional core strength a forging provides.

Well you've helped put my mind at rest then, i trust FAI so the quality should be decent from the full kit, again hoping the "camtec" tappets are ok. I've checked the paperwork and I previously used INA tappets on two occasions but cost £40 each time so again are a lot more expensive.

i bought a newmans cam from crest motorsport 10k later it was like this

cam%202_zpsxhfekhbz.jpg

and he wouldn't even honor the yrs warranty have since bought 1 from nps heads much better quality 

Edited by steveopc

Newman cams is the first link if you search chilled cast camshaft on google so that's not good!

I've seen that happen on a camshaft before due to a faulty fuel pump on the side of the head though.

I guess your running higher spec than I plan to and have had a million other problems with yours so hopefully mine will be ok... At £125 for a full kit it isn't going to break the bank if I do need to replace it again!

Well you've helped put my mind at rest then, i trust FAI so the quality should be decent from the full kit, again hoping the "camtec" tappets are ok. I've checked the paperwork and I previously used INA tappets on two occasions but cost £40 each time so again are a lot more expensive.

I wouldn't skimp on the tappets myself.

• Like 1

I thought I was best off buying a "forged steel" camshaft but searching and a lot of big companies including performance manufacturers prefer chilled cast claiming its stronger...

The correct answer to the highlit statement is "define stronger".

A machined billet forging will have higher stress and strain limits before plastic deformation sets in (but as otherwise commented these are pretty irrelevant to a diesel engine that doesn't rev to 5_000), but chill cast and tuftrided will have better in-service wear characteristics than hot forged and tuftrided.

• Like 1

OEM cam will be chill cast because it's cheaper to make, a chill cast blank looks a bit like the end product so there is far less material wastage and the profile can also be machined much more quickly, the difference is because it looks like the finished cam such a blank is only suitable for that one engine whereas a billet can be made into a cam for any engine.

Cast blanks are made in batches due to cost of tooling up, such castings are sometimes called 'investment cast' due to this cost. Chill simply refers to the method used during the casting process which allows the casting to cool much more quickly to a higher density.

It doesn't matter which one you buy, they'll both do exactly the same job.

• Like 1

Thanks again, everyday's a school day!

I've emailed them asking to confirm brands for each product to see what they say regarding the tappets.

I know what your saying regarding skimping on them but hopefully if they are FAI they won't be cheap rubbish none brand items.

• 2 months later...

Thanks again, everyday's a school day!

I've emailed them asking to confirm brands for each product to see what they say regarding the tappets.

I know what your saying regarding skimping on them but hopefully if they are FAI they won't be cheap rubbish none brand items.

Toying with this kit myself for my PD130.  It seems a bargain but isn't 'unbranded' like i've been offered elsewhere for similar money.  Did you go for it in the end and have you had any problems with the tappets?

• Like 2

I havnt purchased it yet, keeping it for a summer job.

They never replied when i asked to confirm brands as the small part says "or similar products" so just took it as bad news and never bought it.