DRL's and SIDELIGHTS

I have a vrs that has the LED DRL's  fitted as standard what i would like to know is how i can get the sidelight bulbs wired up to be on like DRL'S. 

I know they are not supposed to work like this but if they are there in the headlight cluster i am thinking they may as well get used,another option i was thinking was having them wired up but putting indicator  bulbs in that would be on all the time.

The wiring loom on the vRS is different to that on the standard Octavia, hence the feed for the redundant W5W bulb is missing on the vRS.

You will need to find the feed to the headlight aim adjustment motor and tap into that.

Everything you need to know is here, good luck!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/290556-wiring-in-the-side-light-bulbs-on-a-post-fl-vrs/

Edited by silver1011

thanks dose not look like to bad of a job even for a novice looks like i will have to put led bulbs in correct?  if to may change some of other bulbs for led bulbs in front and back if they dont send up faults.

It will probably depend exactly how you want them to function to what the best plan is.

I've not had hands on experience of the LED DRL module fitted to the VRS, it has three connections which I believe work as follows:

- one pin is ground

- one pin is power when either DRL or sidelights are on

- one pin is PWMed at either 100%, 15% or 0% for DRL, sidelights and off

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is turning the power on/off very quickly to give a lower brightness.

DRL (method 1)

As Silver suggested a feed from the headlight adjustment motor could work, they should be on whenever the ignition is on.

Pros:

Easy to wire as it's all inside the headlight.

Cons:

Potential error codes/bulb warnings

No control, they will always be on when the ignition is

DRL (method 2)

You might be able to take a feed from the power to the LED DRL module. You would need to check before going this route.

Pros:

Might only be on with DRL

Might be turned on/off via normal methods (maxidot/stalk)

Cons:

Harder wiring

Sidelights

I don't think this would be possible using the above method and taking power from the other LED DRL module connection. Depending exactly how the LED DRL modules are powered you could end up with some interesting results.

Indicators

This should be super simple again, just taking a feed from the existing indicator within the headlight should be enough as well as changing for an orange bulb.

Pros:

Easiest to wire as it's all inside the headlight.

Cons:

Alternative solution

Rather than piggybacking off an existing light, it might be better to take a new feed from the BCM. I believe that pins A7/A8 are unused so these could be connected to the existing headlight connectors. Using VCP or ODIS-e you would then be able to correctly code the lights to do any of the above with either halogen or LED bulbs (depending on your BCM rev).

This would avoid any potential error codes/bulb warnings, only require adding wires rather than cutting existing ones and also give you bulb monitoring for the new bulbs!

It's a little more work than any of the above methods but will give you a far better result.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I know this threat is old but i checked my sidelights and i have 2 brown wires going into the bulb, and one of them looks like it s going to the blinker, i want to install some leds with a switch inside the car and im afraid that if i cut the wires to wire it myself i will break something. any help?

16 hours ago, whoislupu said:

I know this threat is old but i checked my sidelights and i have 2 brown wires going into the bulb, and one of them looks like it s going to the blinker, i want to install some leds with a switch inside the car and im afraid that if i cut the wires to wire it myself i will break something. any help?

I think it's pretty well answered in the post above in terms of wiring and connections.

If you wanted to add new wires then it appears to mention the BCM ports.

I would suggest if you're not comfortable doing the wiring from the information on the thread, then a dealer/independant garage might be a good call as it will be cheaper than making something go pop.

3 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

I think it's pretty well answered in the post above in terms of wiring and connections.

If you wanted to add new wires then it appears to mention the BCM ports.

I would suggest if you're not comfortable doing the wiring from the information on the thread, then a dealer/independant garage might be a good call as it will be cheaper than making something go pop.

Actually in did not know why i have 2 brown wires but i managed to do it!

28 minutes ago, whoislupu said:

Actually in did not know why i have 2 brown wires but i managed to do it!

This seemed the most appropriate thread to leave open and reply to as it had most information in it. I’m glad you managed to sort your wiring out.

Just as a polite request, the exact same question was posted in four old threads and whilst I appreciate your use of the search function I think one would have been enough 👍