Real economy?

Cricster

Just out of interest I checked maxidot today - average over the last few months 62.1.

Probably helped by las tweekend in which I did nearly 500 miles.

There's my proof.

Thought I'd see the best I could squeeze out of my remapped CR170 4x4 on the daily commute this morning...

61.6mpg over 41 miles of mixed rural A roads, bit of dual carriageway, and some urban driving. Never dropping below speed limit (except for traffic & junctions etc of course).

Not bad for a 200+bhp 4x4 :)

There's no way I could do that every day though. It'll be back to low 40s from now on.

Edited by muddyboots

• 3 weeks later...

My 2010 140 has averaged the high 40's over the time I have had the car (5 years/100k miles). Now I've stopped going to work it has dropped slightly, probably because we are doing more shorter trips.

I have found that anything over 60 knocks the consumption down, but luckily I don't have to use roads that allow that speed very often. I have also found that doing a journey at 60 doesn't actually take any longer than doing it more quickly, and is less stressful.

Anything over 60mph, which was why the USA limit is 55mph.

I can remember driving backwards and forwards to Abingdon

(the brewery) and as we had to use a hire car my boss instructed

me to stick to 50mph. The car a Toyota turned in some very nice

mpg figures at 50mph (although I nearly died of boredom)

Just to be bloody minded I stuck to 50mph for the next couple of weeks

with our 2L VW transporter the mpg was fabulous!

• 2 weeks later...

I very rarely, see the MPG drop below 53mpg, My daily 80 mile motorway commute see's mid to high 50's and in some cases 60+ just look at my fuelly results below.

I drive a 110 bhp 2014 2.0 diesel 2WD, now showing 12,500 miles.

My drive to work is in light urban traffic in the morning and heavier back late afternoon. It is 5 miles each way. Maxidot am  is usually low 50's, pm is mid 40's.

For the last 2,500 miles it is reading just over 52 which includes a long run every month or so. Cold morning starts have hit this overall total. Over the warmer months this would be mid 50's

On a long run 1 or 2 up with light luggage, to generalise, a sat-nav 70mph sees 50mpg, 60mph sees 60mpg and 50mph [boring] sees 70+mpg.

Brimming the tank after the latter saw very high 60's true mpg.

As others have found, when you go over mid 60mph you get a significant hit. If peak torque revs equates this speed this would make sense, as driving around these revs is when the engine is at its most efficient [i have been told]

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters

I've just gotten a '12 dsg 4x4 140bhp. First tank driving like a nanny got me 41mpg (calculated via miles travelled and litres put in, not the maxidot), that's cruising at 50-60 mph (according to gps). I seriously hope it isn't going to be as poor as this as I was hoping for 45-48 going slow.

One thing I've noticed doing my 20 mile trip to work is the maxidot averages as high as 49mpg one day and as low as 41 the next for no apparent reason (same weather, same traffic, same speeds, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Just come back from Scotland where I filled up on the north side of Glasgow, made a trip through town to the Auchentoshan Distillery and then onto a long motorway drive sat at an indicated 67/68 mph (actual about 65 mph) with just a few sections of motorway reduced to 60 or 50 for roadworks.

My wife drive the car to work yesterday (33 miles each way and she is not the most economical driver of a diesel) and I've also driven into and around Hereford today.

Filled the car up again and a calculation from this gives me 57.76 mpg!

430.1 miles from 33.85 litres (7.4459591 UK gallons).

OK, not the most accurate answer as it is based upon about 2/3 rds of a tank fill up, but does fit with a displayed 57.1 mpg. It was also displaying 670 miles left in the tank with 79 miles already driven - a total of 749 from one tankful!

post-59543-0-38556200-1457706272_thumb.jpg

So, treat it right and it will return very good consumption figures is my opinion.

Edited by KBPhoto
  • Like 1

Maybe I should have driven faster.......mine were only ever calculated fill>fill though.

I still think mine had a mechanical drag (friction) issue.......I could never crack 50.

Is that a manual two-wheel drive? I've averaged 41mpg on two tanks, 40 on another and a 43.6 by never exceeding 90kph and drafting trucks.

No. CR170 4x4.

Goodyear Efficient Grip.

Front tyres were slightly higher than the recommended pressure (I've found the official pressure too low on the front and OK and the rear).

I did have the three rear seats removed which did make a little difference, but only about 2-3 mpg in my estimates over the same journey.