Update Of Bluetooth Connectivity To Modern Mobiles

I have looked at the guide posted here that you recomend looking at

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Telephone_Retrofitting

It seems the 3C8-035-730-E and D 

These support everything and can be had cheaply...... what am I missing?

I have a RNS510D in a mk6 R and want Bluetooth (dont think I would need Wifi? Why would anyone?) and I dont need to stream music, but txt on the screen would be great.

Any advice?

It mostly depends on the instrument cluster as a lot of older cars are fitted with a version that isn't compatible with premium bluetooth (3C8 units)

Assuming you're asking about a MK6 Golf R then I'm pretty sure you will already have an appropriate cluster, it should show a picture of the car with the appropriate door open as you get in.

Depending on the age of the cluster, you may also have some missing icons. It doesn't affect the functionally but doesn't look a pretty as it's just a square. I don't know enough about the Golf clusters to advise you further on this point. Some can be updated but most can't...

As for WiFi, it's down to how rSAP works. To get SMS readout, the BT module effective takes the SIM card out of the phone meaning the phone no longer has any mobile signal or data. If you rely on your phone for navigation or other data functions, these will not work while it's connected to the car. Since the 3C8 D and E units came out, the BT module will connect to 3G and then turn on a WiFi hotspot. This will allow your phone to connect to the WiFi and use data services again.

You will also be able to use HFP which means the phone will still have mobile signal/data and just uses the car for the microphone and speaker.

One final note, rSAP needs support from your phone to work. If you have an iPhone or windows phone then I think you'll only get HFP without SMS readout etc.

Yes its a 2011 R so has the White Cluster with Car icon etc.. with many functions on it.

I need to connect the latest android phone. Galaxy S6 and a Galaxy Alpha. My work phone is an Iphone 6 but if that doesnt connect not end of the world.

Yes its a 2011 R so has the White Cluster with Car icon etc.. with many functions on it.

I need to connect the latest android phone. Galaxy S6 and a Galaxy Alpha. My work phone is an Iphone 6 but if that doesnt connect not end of the world.

Looks like you should be fine with a 3C8 D/E unit then. On a MY11 the cluster software might even be new enough for all the icons to work.

The iPhone will still connect but only in HFP mode - you'll be able to make/receive calls without problems but won't get SMS readout etc.

Perfect thanks guys! 

Any advice or wiring part number I need?I presume its going under passenger seat?

Do I need 2 mic or does it work with my current mic (I have working voice control already)

Perfect thanks guys! 

Any advice or wiring part number I need?I presume its going under passenger seat?

Do I need 2 mic or does it work with my current mic (I have working voice control already)

You don't need a second microphone.

The microphone will connect to the RNS510 (as it is now), the RNS510 will then pass the audio to the BT module. Most SDS wiring kits have a couple of connectors on them so you can either have the microphone connected to the RNS510 or directly to the BT module (if an RNS510 isn't installed).

I'm not sure which wiring kits are best for preinstalled microphones.

Well the exchange of views and information has been interesting and instructive but I couldn't make my old Nokia phone work with the car's hands-free set up.

So I bit the bullet and bought a new Android phone (Motorola Moto G).  It connects instantly and works perfectly to send and receive in-car calls.

I don't know why I listened to the garage - they seem to know so little about the system that their advice is less than worthless.  In fact it was misleading and led me on a wild goose chase. 

Thank you to everyone who offered help and advice on Briskoda.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I also have a 09 Skoda Superb, which is equipped with Bolero radio, multifunction steering wheel, multifunction display (white) and a BT module (5N0035730A). 

As mentioned in the previous posts, i can't connect my smartphones on the BT. From my understanding, this is due to the BT protocol which is rSAp.

So i need to upgrade to a newer module that has HFP. My research showed that modules 3C8035730 C/D/E/F have HFP, so my smartphones will connect to the BT.

I also found that not all the key functions will work. e.g. voice control, play button, song name etc..

Has someone with Bolero radio upgraded to one of the above mentioned BT modules? I would like to know more details about the functionality, the performance, the operation of the features, if programming was needed and if the sms can be read on the MFA.

I would also like to know the price and where i can buy the BT module from.

Best regards

Marios