Hids again... 6000k or 8000k 55w projectors

So I've got some projector xenon headlights so need a HID kit now. I'm wanting some nice white lights with a tiny hint of blue, will suit the SE I hope.

As far as I know the 6000k is a nice white light with that very tiny bit of blue because it's so clear (not yellow I mean) and 8000k is fairly blue.

Now... Looking at google images and those image charts, I'd pick 8000k every time, 8000k looks to have a slight bit of blue, but don't want to buy them and they look chav blue. I hate looking at the lights from the side and the full headlight looks sort of smurf blue but those could be 10,000k that I've seen.

Any pictures of Fabias with xenons with after market hids?

Also, are 6k and 8k both legal? (Purely the bulb colour, not the whole hids in standard lights debate)

Didn't think the difference affected light output much actually so that makes me want 6000k more.

To clarify, do you know if you have 35w or 55w hids? I've seen plenty of both but just assume 55w will be better!

After looking into it slightly, 6000k is for me, I stupidly never thought about light output once and just assumed they would be the same with a different colour. As a guide I've found this...

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm

5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300lm

8000k D2R (unbranded)= 780lm

So basically the different between 6000k and 8000k will produce 4 times more light!

Obviously it's a poor guide with different types of bulbs and hid kits but they are good for a guide, 8000k are all pretty poor backing up what Stevo suggested.

I'm sure I have read 55w might melt the lense of the headlight. Due to the heat the bulb produces.

Might be wrong though

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Didn't know this was an issue. Guess I'll get 35w then :D can't see it making that much of a difference over all.

The stock halogen lights are extremely poor anyway so hopefully 35w 6000k hids in projector lights will be a decent improvement!

Didn't know this was an issue. Guess I'll get 35w then :D can't see it making that much of a difference over all.

The stock halogen lights are extremely poor anyway so hopefully 35w 6000k hids in projector lights will be a decent improvement!

Don't hold me to it. Someone like Joe has more experience and knowledge than me.

Also just read 55w can alter the colour temp

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Edited by J306TD
  • Like 1

After looking into it slightly, 6000k is for me, I stupidly never thought about light output once and just assumed they would be the same with a different colour. As a guide I've found this...

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm

5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300lm

8000k D2R (unbranded)= 780lm

So basically the different between 6000k and 8000k will produce 4 times more light!

Obviously it's a poor guide with different types of bulbs and hid kits but they are good for a guide, 8000k are all pretty poor backing up what Stevo suggested.

That looks pretty plausible, particularly the drop-off between the 5800 and 8000k units, which is because the higher light temperature is achieved by filtering out pretty much anything except the indigo and violet, so you only get 2/7 of "white light" coming out of the unit.

I'd suggest the 4300k over the 5800 though, because it's about the colour of natural daylight, which means that you'll see better even if you're giving away 3% or so (1/33) of the nominal output.

• Like 1

It's actually not about the higher colour-temperature bulbs producing less overall 'light power', it's all about the wavelength sensitivity of the eye.  It's no use producing a lot of the light energy at the shorter wavelength (bluer) end of the spectrum, because the eye just isn't sensitive to it. As a science geek, I find it interesting that the Lumen is the only SI unit that has to be defined with reference to the human body, because it is a measure of visible light; and we are what is used as the arbiter of what's visible. If you are from another species or planet, you will likely disagree.

As Ken says, if seeing where you're going* is important to you, as opposed to 'looking cool', then something near to the colour temperature of natural daylight is the way to go, 'cos that's what your eyes have evolved to work in.

*I realise this is secondary to 'looking cool' for many people.

• Like 1

I think 6000k will do fine for me with 35w ballasts.

From what I've read standard xenon are 4300k but are yellow'ish so people upgrade to 6000k for a cleaner light. The difference between 4300 and 6000k isn't that great and since I wanted 6000 or 8000.... It seems 6000 is the better choice of the two :)

Thanks for the replies!

Again any pictures of 35w 6000 will be appreciated.

I'd go with 5000k maximum.

Anything above that, you're simply emitting less light.

Surely the whole point of a HID upgrade is more light on the road?

Do you really spend your time admiring the colour of the light, or want to simply see more down the road?

I have 4300k in my Octavia which is OEM temperature, and I wouldn't say it's yellow at all.

Edited by softscoop
  • Like 2

The 4300K factory lights in my Audi are very white, no need to go higher I don't think.

Saw a car the other day who's lights were so blue everyone was passing them on the M3 because they could hardly see a thng except a faint blue glow on the road surface directly in front of their car.

Edited by mannyo
  • Like 2

Saw a car the other day who's lights were so blue everyone was passing them on the M3 because they could hardly see a thng except a faint blue glow on the road surface directly in front of their car.

There is a Fabia vRS with silly blue HIDs that bombs around Lincoln.

He looks like a right tool. I'm sure my £5 torch emits more light that he was projecting down the road.

• Like 1

That's sort of why I think 6000k is a happy medium. 4300k is perfect for light, but on the other hand I don't particularly like the bright white so much.

8000k is as we know quite blue but not extreme but is rubbish for light output.

6000k in the middle since they are know as "ice white" and give off similar light to 4300k. The drop in lumens isn't that great from 4300 to 6000 from what I can see.

Edited by hutchysrs50

If you're set on them, fair enough. I know I don't look at my headlights, but want the most light on the road.

If you had a vRS with factory xenons at 4300k, would you be complaining it was too white?

6000k is still around 12% less light than 4300k.

We're not talking mega money, about £15 if I change my mind and want 4300k

I know people are suggesting ways to maximise light output, I simply think I'm improving it. I bought the xenons purely for looks, they look so much better beside the standard lights. The fact xenons give off a better light is just a bonus for me. :)

Check out this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313270-hid-h7-kits-for-fabia-with-projector-headlights/

It contians few pages but if you navitage to page 10 onwards you will see some pics fitted to the cars.

I also replaced my standard bulbs with the HIDs and was orginally thinking about 6000k. I bought a set and it was too blue for me so two days later I ordered 5000k kit which replaced 6000k one.

The 5000k is imo the best, it gives you very nice output and bit of blue tint.

Matty

Also bare in mind if you use 55w ballast they will drop the color output by a 1000. For example if you use 5500k bulbs in a 35w ballast you will get 5500k out put, if you use 5500k in a 55w ballast you will get closer to 4500k from a 5500k bulb.

If you don't need full beam then they're probably horribly misaligned and blinding.

Mine are set with a lightbox by the Garage that fitted them for me (Perfect alignment and no dazzle) and I don't need mainbeam either..Lower in the 5 too