What tyres for VRS

Hi

I know there is a tyre forum but I was looking for specific opinion to O3 VRS tyres (Mods please move if you think it best).

Mine is a diesel estate DSG with std 18in wheels and both the front Continental SC2s need replacing at 13K. I don't like the SC2s for road noise.

Car is mainly used for longer motorway trips and I'm looking for a quiet tyre. Top of my list is the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. Has good low noise rating and wet braking performance. Anybody have these? Do they live up to the claims and also offer good rim protection?

In the past on my O2 FL VRS I had GoodYear Efficient Grip tyres but these only come in W speed ratings and the O3 has Y-rated tyres.

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2s seem to be a favourite for the Octavia vRS. I have them as my summer tyres - quieter than the original Conti 2s and better wet grip, but I can't comment on tyre life as mine have only been on for a few thousand miles.

• Like 1

Had Hankook Ventus V12 Evo on my MK2 FL, S2000 and Civic Type R. For the money they can't be beaten in my opinion - great tyre.

Used to use the old Goodyear Eagle F1, and while they offer great grip, if you drive spiritedly you'll cut through them in no time! Not sure if the Asymetrics are any different, but the old F1s were far too soft!

Had Hankook Ventus V12 Evo on my MK2 FL, S2000 and Civic Type R. For the money they can't be beaten in my opinion - great tyre.

Used to use the old Goodyear Eagle F1, and while they offer great grip, if you drive spiritedly you'll cut through them in no time! Not sure if the Asymetrics are any different, but the old F1s were far too soft!

+1 have these on my Octavia Elegance now...fabulous tyre for what they cost and beat the ass out of some supposed premium brand tyres.

I love Goodyear F1's....had these on the front of my first GTD and it was well and truely unflappable...suspect they's have worn out quite quickly though....didnt have it long enough to tell. Michelin PS3's take some beating too.

I dont mind Potenza's but they've never blown me away with their grip levels...seem to wear pretty well though and have good rim protection.

Thanks guys, found a good price on Good Year Assymetric 2. The 3 is only a few quid more. Seems like a no brainer to go for the updated tyre as it has a quieter rating too.

(Had a bad experience with Hankook which put me off them.)

Don't get the Dunlop Sport Maxx...its an awful tyre.  Yes, on paper its brilliant, but out on the road its very poor.  Very bad grip in the wet especially and lets the car slide sideways in sharper corners.  I have had Michelin for about a year and the difference is huge.  I would say give Michelin a go.

I'm a Michelin man as well. I swear by the PS3's, especially in the wet. Will replace my standard vRS tyres with these when the time comes.

I'll second the above comment on the Dunlop Sport Maxx. Put two of them on the wife's Mini just over a year ago and they were terrible in the wet. I thought they were noisy too. Hateful tyres in my opinion.

Don't get the Dunlop Sport Maxx...its an awful tyre. Yes, on paper its brilliant, but out on the road its very poor. Very bad grip in the wet especially and lets the car slide sideways in sharper corners. I have had Michelin for about a year and the difference is huge. I would say give Michelin a go.

Agreed the Dunlops are sh1te!

I've put Continental Sport Contact 5's in the front of my Diesel vRS hatch and they are a big improvement over the original SC2's the car came with.

Quieter and offer a lot more grip, especially in the damp. I hope they last longer than the 14k I got out of the last set

If you are looking to getting Michelin ps3s Costco are doing their tyre cashback thing starting from Monday. Buy 4 tyres, around £95 a corner for 18s and get £50 Costco vouchers back. Won't get much cheaper than that!

I've put Continental Sport Contact 5's in the front of my Diesel vRS hatch and they are a big improvement over the original SC2's the car came with.

Quieter and offer a lot more grip, especially in the damp. I hope they last longer than the 14k I got out of the last set

Ditto here, about 14k on mine as which is rubbish. New SC5's do seem a bit quieter but it's only the fronts so far.

Thanks guys, found a good price on Good Year Assymetric 2. The 3 is only a few quid more. Seems like a no brainer to go for the updated tyre as it has a quieter rating too.

(Had a bad experience with Hankook which put me off them.)

Remember that the noise rating for a tyre refers to the noise level measured at a set distance from the car as it drives by at a defined speed on a reference service. It does NOT refer to road noise heard inside the car.

• Like 1

I had intended to try Rainsport 3's but as I only needed two tires to start with and continental were doing a promotion for a free night in a hotel with every pair of tyres bought the little bit extra for the SC5's seemed logical.

I reckon I'll try Rainsports next time as I'll likely need four

• Like 1

Apart from the road noise, I think the Conti SC2's are great on the VRS. I don't often do a lot of motorway driving but I concur they are noisy when I'm on a longer trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3s fitted to the front for now, may move to rear and wear out the other 2 Continental SC2s.

Got the GYs for £90 a corner at F1 Autocentre in town fitted which seemed good value. Booked online for wednesday and got call yesterday to say they were in and I went and got them fitted.

Had to go for a 50-mile round trip last night and they feel much better, but of course the SC2s were worn. Definitely quieter too.

Thanks for all the feedback.