The Wife reversed into my car, now the sensors don't work.

I know it sounds like one of those "my friend has a problem" stories but it was actually the Wife's fault not mine!  First frost of the year and she decides to not defrost the rear window or wipe the mist off the rear view mirror, ignore the fact she has seen my car behind her and then ignore the reverse sensor beeps before reversing into my run around at speed.  Apparently it's sort of my fault because my car wasn't there the day before, work that one out!

Anyway, long story off my chest, there is some cosmetic damage to the bumper and reflector strips but also physical damage to the reversing sensor system.  I have looked up into the bumper and the sensor is still in place but I can't tell if the connection to the main loom is in tact.  Certainly a small piece of broken off red opaque plastic fell down with a broken tie wrap.  There is also a loose "clip?" can' really tell what it is but may just be to hold the loom to the bumper.  When putting the car into reverse, it beeps for a couple of seconds then stops; and that is it.  Out of reverse and back into reverse it does nothing and the sensors do not register anything.  If you stop the car and start it again you get the same 2 second beep then nothing when selecting reverse.  Also the car settings has "function not available" for parking aids.

As we have just bought a house we have no money for expensive repairs, does anyone have any knowledge of this problem, is it a simple sensor failure (one of them was directly impacted) and if so how easy is it to replace myself.  I can live with the cosmetic (minor) damage but without the sensors, the likelihood of her in doors doing more damage in a reversing situation has now exponentially increase hugely.

Any help and advice welcome.

Quick easy test to check the sensors. Put it in reverse, then go and put your ear on each sensor. You should hear a ticking sound. All sensors should be the same ticking speed and volume. In ones not ticking or is erratic or quiet or slow it's faulty... Or as yours had been hit the wiring to it may be damaged

Quick easy test to check the sensors. Put it in reverse, then go and put your ear on each sensor. You should hear a ticking sound. All sensors should be the same ticking speed and volume. In ones not ticking or is erratic or quiet or slow it's faulty... Or as yours had been hit the wiring to it may be damaged

How can you do this on your own? Or are you suggesting he asks "the wife" to put the car in reverse while he checks? Seems a bit risky to me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Googled the following for your missus:

Let's look at the steps a lesson has to go through before it can be considered to be "Learned".

1. Reflect on Experience. Think back (and discuss as a team)what happened.
2. Identify learning points. Where was there a difference between what was planned, and what actually happened? Either a positive or a negative difference.
3. Analyse. Why was there a difference? What were the root causes?
4. Generalise. What is the learning point? What should be done in future activity to avoid the pitfall, or repeat the success? At this stage we have a Lesson Identified. It will be a useful lesson, if others can learn from it, and for others to learn from it, it needs to be instructional.

• Like 1

How can you do this on your own? Or are you suggesting he asks "the wife" to put the car in reverse while he checks? Seems a bit risky to me!!

I read that on another thread, I think you can do it with the engine off (after the grief I have been giving my better half she would probably "accidentally" take her foot off the clutch while I was listening!).  Had a quick go earlier but couldn't hear anything from any of them.

Googled the following for your missus:

Let's look at the steps a lesson has to go through before it can be considered to be "Learned".

1. Reflect on Experience. Think back (and discuss as a team)what happened.

2. Identify learning points. Where was there a difference between what was planned, and what actually happened? Either a positive or a negative difference.

3. Analyse. Why was there a difference? What were the root causes?

4. Generalise. What is the learning point? What should be done in future activity to avoid the pitfall, or repeat the success? At this stage we have a Lesson Identified. It will be a useful lesson, if others can learn from it, and for others to learn from it, it needs to be instructional.

1.  Did this, and ended up arguing.

Calmed down and moved on to step 2.

2.  Plan was to reverse off drive, in reality reversed into car.  Definitely a negative difference.

3.  The reason for the difference was, previous year was largely frost free, warm (therefore no steaming up mirror) and the 2 days before there was no car behind. Looking at a simple equation taking the probabilities of each occurrence happening, factoring in a risk percentage against this, offsetting this against the frequency rate of the same occurrence over the last year for the same situation and the root cause comes out as......... my wife.

4.  The learning point is clear.  cost whether it would be cheaper to hire a professional driver for the occasions my wife does drive against the expected cost of repairs from her driving misadventures.

Anyone know a reasonably priced per job driver in the South West?  

• Like 1

My Mrs did this with my car when pregnant.....reversed so fast she didn't give the sensors time to work before the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep coincided with the kissing of the two day old garage - the front concrete section and door stoved in!

In answer to your problem, these sensors can be as sensitive as the wife, often just needing a jolly good clean (like the wife) but I suspect the wiring may be damaged on that sensor - if one is buggered they all are! (Not true for ALL women).

Edited by Chubbs
  • Like 1

Do I really have to say that you only have the ignition on....not the engine! Doh (slams head on table) Edited by MrAdamwood
  • Like 1

Do I really have to say that you only have the ignition on....not the engine! Doh (slams head on table)

No mate, you don't. Not sure if it's the lateness of the hour, but this was more of a humorous comment regarding the circumstances of the original post. Really no need for you to abuse yourself.

• Like 1