Real world diesel mpg figures

have a look at fuelly.com, see my signature

you can look at fuel figures for models, down to engines,

one thing to bear in mind is modern diesels need regular long (>10-15 miles) runs to keep the DPF clear, so not suitable for all drivers

These figures are based on trip computer, real world is a couple mpg lower.

I get about 40-45 in town, 54-56 on motorway. Best - on A roads or at 50mph on motorway, I can get 65+mpg, and once I managed 68 average.

But who wants to go that slowly all the time

I have a 1.4tdi.  Actual fuel consumption over 100,000 miles is just over 52mpg.  Bearing in mind where I live, this involves a lot of rural lane and hill work.  I reckon that if you live somewhere flat 60mpg should be acheivable.

I tend to cruise at around 60 on a run, if you go much over this the consumption goes up quite quickly.

Hi Pristine, 

Also 1.9tdiPD, no DPF.

Using Millers Oil and also their EcoPwerPlus or whatever they now call their additive, best summer average has been 68and a bit mpg, dropping through 65 and 62 to 61and a bit today (that's calculated on tankfull to tankfull; the onboard computer is very helpful too). A few local shopping runs, a weekly 12 miles each way up to north Leeds, and fortnightly motorway and rural A-road runs over to south Cheshire to visit Mum.

That's with a Darkside remap biased towards economy, and trying to drive smoothly at all times, eg doing the trans-Pennine trip after the morning rush and attempting to return before M62/M60 goes into gridlock mode!!!

Today a nasty pileup on the eastbound at Simister and a jobs fair at Manchester Airport turned the 2hrs return into 4hrs!!   And clobbered the return journey MPG.

Have you driven either the 1.4 or 1.9? Think you'll find the noise and vibration a shock after a 1.2tsi.

I imagine a 1.6tdi CR would be pleasant to drive, and would suit the car well.

My 1.9tdi has the variable-vane turbo, which gives far more flexibility than did the Fixed Vane (ie wastegated) Turbo in my previous (and first) Skoda, a Mk1 Fabia 1.4tdiPD Comfort hatch. Which I got mapped at a firm in Leeds. Don't know what turbo is fitted to the 1.4tdi's in Roomsters.

A good service history (oil and filters changes, cambelt, pulleys, tensioners, waterpump changed) essential, and do the front console bushes fail more readily under the higher torque of the diesels?

Mine have done both on the Fabia and now Roomster, have had stiffer Mehle replacements fitted, makes steering tidier and car less prone to crosswinds.

HTH

Richard.

Edited by RichardatWakefield

• 4 months later...

Loaded to the gunwales with camping gear, 155 swift miles across country (no motorways) gave 57mpg on the outward journey, 54mpg on the return journey which was 30 minutes faster. 

I'm happy with that, 1.9tdi 

Edited by b1ackb1rd