ease of exhaust change diy

looking to upgrade my exhaust soon (tfsi vrs) dont a search but cant find anything so im presuming it should be fairly simple.

fairly straight forward? dont have to cut the old one off or anything silly like that do i? im thinking ill just bung the back up on ramps.

getting the jetex one all being well.

Ben

I have recently replaced the clamps on the joining pipe as they rotted off on my tfsi vrs,there is a sleeve pipe that connects the front pipe to the rest of the exhaust & im sure on mine that the rest of the exhaust is all one piece so you will have to cut it off where it goes over the rear suspension to get it off the car.

• Like 1

It depends on how easy the previous bolts and fixing come off. Have an angle grinder and goggles at hand before you start. Have a spare rubber exhaust hanger just in case. 

When you come to fit the new one, line it all up before tightening it up the clamps. Whilst your under there but some grease on the heat shield mounts and brake lines as a preventive measure against corrosion.

As CWARD says: Wear goggles or safety glasses. Ask me how I know.

Lying on the ground struggling with filthy rusty exhaust bits is little fun to start with, but once you get a few flakes of rust in one/both eye(s), you'll really stop enjoying it. 

Ouch. Sounds lush. Ha! Thanks for all the input tho. I may decide to get it done at a garage or maybe even take it to the local longlife exhaust branch who I have been told are very good locally (bridport).

Edited by tequilan

As CWARD says: Wear goggles or safety glasses. Ask me how I know.

Lying on the ground struggling with filthy rusty exhaust bits is little fun to start with, but once you get a few flakes of rust in one/both eye(s), you'll really stop enjoying it.

Found out the hard way too. Very painful having hot metal splinters penetrate your eye. Not nearly as painful as going to the hospital to have the metal dragged back out of your eyeball with a magnet the same route it went in.