white smoke coming from exhaust.

Hi guys, just picked up my 2011 superb 1.6 tdi from a full vale today, on the way home it started smoking badly(white) some smell to it.

Im not sure what it might be the car was running fine in the morning.

DPF regeneration perhaps? That can chuck the odd puff of smoke out the back, maybe not as much smoke as you are suggesting.

Have you got any maps or tuning boxes on it? 

Did you notice any other symptoms apart from the smoke? 

That's a typical sign of the cylinder head gasket on its way. When the engine is cool remove the oil filler cap and look for white/grey paste around the seal on the cap. Also check your water level in the radiator too. Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If it has just had a full valet, could it be water in the exhaust as that would be white?

Especially if it was running fine this morning.

DPF regeneration is loosely based on mileage. Lower if lots of traffic jams involved. 

Did it produce it all the way home? how long for? is it under acceleration, overrun, idling or all of the above? 

Check oil and water levels to see if they've dropped. 

Was it definitely smoke and not steam? I like the idea of water in the exhaust pipe after the valet. I would expect it to stop fairly quickly though, once everything is up to temperature.

If it was a boost leak, there would be a fault light on the dash and there would be a drop in performance. EGR cooler leaking coolant will usually show with a coolant leak/low level alarm. 

If the turbo is letting oil through to the exhaust, you should see a drop in oil level over time. Also, there would most likely be more smoke under acceleration.

Well I leave not to far from the valet place 5min drive, but I took it for a drive and the smoking did not stoped.

So I will have a look att all you tips and advice 1st think in the morning

We took the car for a spin last night, we have checked coolent/oil level before taking off.  There was diesel+water in the exhaust system. Once started it smoked for a wee bit again and then stoped all the water and diesel was burned from the pipe. And its fine since. My brother in law says that the valet place left the car idling for propabbly over 1h to try and dry out the inside which force the DPF to regen it self again that did not helped.

The car is running fine, thanks guys.

• Like 2

Its nasty enough knowing that some of that diesel the car has been injecting to get the DPF temp up is now in the sump with the oil

It's an unavoidable consequence of post injection. Most - if not all - manufacturers deal with it quite well these days.