Arrived - MY16 Skoda Rapid Spaceback - Corrida Red - Photos / Ownership Thread

True but most salesmen don't tell customers the real world figures. Even the media (AutoExpress in particular) stress the test figures way more than the real world.

But it's the only way to quote, controlled conditions. Media using the figures, again only way to compare - test drive one in summer one in winter, different reporters etc. So many variables that the information would be worthless.

Fine, the test could be more 'real world' - but it is currently made up of a series of acceleration and breaking with min/max speeds.

As others have said, non-standard tests would result in probably higher figures.

True but most salesmen don't tell customers the real world figures. Even the media (AutoExpress in particular) stress the test figures way more than the real world.

In the USA Skoda would get sued out of existence for even suggesting the car would do 65-85 mpg when it clearly wont.

I am living over here again and the Mustang I had last month did 16mpg in town and 25mpg on the long commute - The EPA published figures for the car are 16 and 25.

The US is even more complicated in terms of stated fuel economy than that. As well as measures from federal bodies such as the EPA, different states have different rules on things like emmessions, fuel economy etc. California is by far the most stringent, sill owed by New York (the latter had a clampdown under Bloomberg, which led to Nissan getting the gig for the new approved NY Yellow Cab with a modified NV200).

It's impressive that the EPA figures for that mustang were spot-on. The EPA figures for the Nissan I had last time I was over were about 30% over-optimistic, so some dodgy numbers can still slip through, even with the current greater scrutiny.

As an aside, filled up the Rapid earlier today, got 44mpg tank to tank from it. I can live with that, but still way off advertised.

Edited by chrisgreen
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Time for a short update -

4200 miles in... Car is now 8 months old.

Car is just been used locally put pulling back a decent enough MPG for its use.

20160927_202853_zpss9kazopg.jpg

MPG continues to remain low due to the nature its been used... howerver 70mpg on a motorway run is easy to pull.

9 months to go before it cant order its replacement!! (thakes taking into account a 6 month lead time)  Not sure what to go for, but will decide nearer the time !

Edited by RickTT

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to take the Spaceback out today for some miles to let it do a DPF regen if it needed, plus as it has a full glass roof it would be better for the kids where we were going.

So I stuck some fuel in it before setting off to Blackpool to see the lights.......

20161027_220124_zps99eu8y8f.jpg

Not a bad MPG run overall on the basis the slow stop start traffic through the lights, as reflected in the AVG speed,  however the MPG took a right battering compared to when we just arrived..  It was up at around 70mpg.

Therefore on the return leg i decided to reset the "Since start" menu to see what MPG it would return on the drive home (not hanging around)

On arrival to home, just before it was 70.2mpg before i turned a rounded, revered onto drive etc.

IMG-20161027-WA0015_zpsnkqnb1yr.jpg

I reckon this car would not easily return high 70mpg if driven a lot softer ! 

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

I reckon this car would not easily return high 70mpg if driven a lot softer !

Have you tried calculating the mpg based on the distance travelled and amount of fuel added? I would suggest looking at using fuelly.com or something similar.

I wouldn't believe the made up figures it gives on a tdi. I had to adjust mine to -13% to get the on board computer telling the truth.

Have you tried calculating the mpg based on the distance travelled and amount of fuel added? I would suggest looking at using fuelly.com or something similar.

I wouldn't believe the made up figures it gives on a tdi. I had to adjust mine to -13% to get the on board computer telling the truth.

Done it a couple of times and it was pretty much close to the onboard computer.

Therefore, as the wife puts the fuel in, going off this as a base line.

I have a fuelly account but miss too many fill ups to make it worth while on either car

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered my MY17 Rapid Monte Carlo (Australia) in June and just received it in late November. Have to say enjoy it so far, it has the Tech Pack for us here, just need to tint the windows all round.

Definitely gets the looks!

Skoda Rapid MY17 Monte Carlo

• Like 1

I ordered my MY17 Rapid Monte Carlo (Australia) in June and just received it in late November. Have to say enjoy it so far, it has the Tech Pack for us here, just need to tint the windows all round.

Definitely gets the looks!

Nice colours. Check Rapid Projects on here for a similar one in Ireland with OZ wheels and other subtle mods.

Shame all round tints are not legal here or I'd do that too.

• 3 weeks later...

Car is now a few days from 12 months old.

Nothing to report in terms of errors or faults.  Total mileage will be an expected 5700 miles on the 12 month of ownership.

MPG return is still really good to say the car is ONLY doing short runs per day, 5 mile routes a time and then the odd longer trip now and again.  Even at such low mileage, the MPG return is still better than expected.

Screenshot_2017-01-09-18-09-57_zpsdkkfhn

Screenshot_2017-01-09-18-10-15_zps9rv40b

Your MPG is slightly better than what I get now from my 1.2 TSI. The vast majority of my journeys are short local runs, now that I am back using the Tube to get to work. On that basis, I'm happy with the 40-45mpg that I manage to get out of mine (which could be improved further with a more delicate foot and better gear changing).

Your MPG is slightly better than what I get now from my 1.2 TSI. The vast majority of my journeys are short local runs, now that I am back using the Tube to get to work. On that basis, I'm happy with the 40-45mpg that I manage to get out of mine (which could be improved further with a more delicate foot and better gear changing).

Agree  - if the car was doing 15k a year on motorways the MPG im sure will be well up there.

Agree - if the car was doing 15k a year on motorways the MPG im sure will be well up there.

Definitely. When I was still doing my 70 miles a day return trip between home and work down the M3 I was getting mid 50s to the gallon, mostly by cruising at 65mph at 2100rpm in 6th. Seems to be the sweet spot for 6th gear effeciency. Mpg drops a lot at 70 and above.

• 4 weeks later...

12 months now in ownership with the SB SE Sport...

Got nothing to report, no issues, no nothings.. still as good as it left the factory if not better.

20170203_222353_zpsy5ukqvmn.jpg

20170203_222406_zpspkgnkvtw.jpg

20170203_222414_zps3x4jn0vy.jpg

• 1 month later...

6500 miles on the car now....

Avg MPG is still fine, car as new, I detailed it at the weekend and got it looking as new..

This week an oil service warning has flagged up on start up with a countdown from 31 days for an oil service.. (or in the settings menu, 4900 miles or 31 days.)

I have just booked the car in this evening and arranged for the local dealer to collect the car before 10am from home address and drop off before 17:00 on the same day.  I was going to arrange to drop it off or arrange a hire car but seems a lot of hassle really when they will just collect and return !

20170309_213120_zpso2xeev9a.jpg

20170309_213545_zpsjkq9ozso.jpg

20170309_213153_zpsub2bw3uo.jpg

Screenshot_2017-01-09-18-10-15_zps9rv40b

20170309_213348_zpsewenh5ov.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Car is going in this morning for a Oil Change Service...

Its a shame they dont offer a while you wait service or at least give you a time to drop off....

Should I expect the car back fully vac'ed and washed ???

Edited by RickTT

Wasted trip to the dealer.  Advised the car is on long life service plan and therefore does not require a service. 

Therefore the dealer reset the service counter.