New camera, help needed

I currently have a Nikon D40X which was given to me and I like using it and learning how to use a DSLR.

I want to get a newer camera, quite tempted to get a Nikon D5500 as I already have 35mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens which would fit the new camera. I am also tempted to get a 55-300mm lens for longer shots.

I am far from professional but do enjoy hobbyist photography.

Thoughts?

• Administrators

I sold my dSLR kit.

It' is great to have it and it is powerful stuff. 

What I opted for was almost a fuji x series setup (lots of very good prime lenses on ebay for 20 quid if you like 40 yr old russian glass. I ended up going for the Olympus 2/3rds, which has less glass range. But actually with just two lenses and a bit of thought I'm taking as many as I did before carrying a qtr of the weight.

I do still think I'd of gone with the fuji path, but I doubted I'd actually buy the old primes to make the overall cost eql.

Here's one view http://petapixel.com/2014/11/13/went-mirrorless-switched-canon-fuji-detailed-exploration/

I use my oly in full auto or full manual, both are a joy and if anything it's nicer slowing down and thinking. 

Spec/Tech wise I've not looked in the last 18months to see what's changing. *everything* no doubt.  I try not to go back and look with tech, otherwise I find myself wanting and that's naughty.

So that's another path. The other is to stick to 2nd hand or old kit that's good quality, try more, sell more, rinse repeat. Dropping a 200 body versus a 900... there is a difference and you'll walk easier in... certain places.

HTH.

• Like 1

Why do you want a newer camera?

What will the new one do that the old one can't?

Do you know how to use your old one properly?

I suspect that buying a new camera won't make you a better photographer (I'm still using a 1st generation Canon 5D for weddings and portraits) but going on a training course will. Spend the money on a weekend course and you'll be surprised how quickly you improve.

The general advice when spending money is: training first, lenses second and camera third. But I'd add lights (flash, torches, etc.) in there (unless you are a landscape or architectural photographer) above camera and probably above lenses.

• Like 1

Mmm, good words KB. I am toying with the idea of a course, there is a guy locally who does some cool special effect stuff as well as normal photography.

I will put my hands up that I need to do more off the auto setting (red face). I was thinking of getting a cheap shoe mounted flash to experiment with.

OK, back to the thinking board.

Thanks.

I've run one day training courses for people getting to grips with a DSLR. We cover all the main functions in a practical and theoretical way that allows time for 1:1 interaction as well as group tasks.

No idea if I'll be running anymore soon, but if you've got a few people that are interested in your area, I'm only the other side of Hereford and could drive over your way with a computer and deliver it for you.

I work with a couple of guys that are wedding photographers (one of whom is superb, even by pro standards) and they both frequently say "you can't go wrong investing in glass". I have to agree from my 'lesser talent' point of view, I have never regretted buying better glass before a better camera. once you get a faster lens eg f4 or preferable f2.8 or faster, the whole world of photography really starts to open up. I like faster glass as I mainly shoot things that move, but the creative things people can do with fast glass is sensational :)

I usually base out of a place in Craven Arms, Shropshire and could get a course set up there quite easily if we can get a minimum of 7 people together. It'd be £35 a head for the day if we go there.

I'm no expert, but have had training from some of the best in the UK: Damian McGillicuddy, Damien Lovegrove, etc. and am a teacher by qualification, lecturer by current job; so am confident I can set people on the right path and inspire them to get off 'Auto' and on to 'A' or 'S' if not 'M' (if you don't understand, then don't buy a new camera!)

Maybe I'll start a thread to see if there is enough interest...

I work with a couple of guys that are wedding photographers (one of whom is superb, even by pro standards) and they both frequently say "you can't go wrong investing in glass". I have to agree from my 'lesser talent' point of view, I have never regretted buying better glass before a better camera. once you get a faster lens eg f4 or preferable f2.8 or faster, the whole world of photography really starts to open up. I like faster glass as I mainly shoot things that move, but the creative things people can do with fast glass is sensational :)

No going to disagree with anything there. And I know you know what you are talking about. The only thing I'd say is that seeing potential and seing 'light' and 'dark' is even more important that decent glass.

A great portrait can be shot at f8 or f11 - well within the capabilities of even a stock lens. A masterpiece of landscape photography can be shot at f16. It all boils down to the light.

Yes, shallow depth of field at f4 or even f2.8 opens more possibilities, but if you don't have the light right, it will still be an average photograph. If you don't understand the trade off necessary to shoot at f2.8 then you maybes up with an out of focus, blurred, camera shake picture that attracts the 'delete' button straight away.

• Like 1

What I was meaning is that if you have faster glass you have all the options available, such as from wide open, to f11 and beyond. I don't have much use for that end of the aperture as I am always craving 'faster' and can't afford to keep my addiction to cars and fund expensive big fast primes going at the same time :( I've tried being arty and using the golden hours, but I really have no talent for it and so leave that to people with more skill and patience than myself :D I also find that I much prefer natural light as I think it looks better and also I am poor at using a flash. I've definitely improved after scouring You Tube, the Interweb and magazines etc, but I think my lack of patience and natural ability limit me in this field.

I'm sure you can teach beginners and novices a lot though, as for me, I think I am a dog too old to learn new tricks (well...almost;) )

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I usually base out of a place in Craven Arms, Shropshire and could get a course set up there quite easily if we can get a minimum of 7 people together. It'd be £35 a head for the day if we go there.

I'm no expert, but have had training from some of the best in the UK: Damian McGillicuddy, Damien Lovegrove, etc. and am a teacher by qualification, lecturer by current job; so am confident I can set people on the right path and inspire them to get off 'Auto' and on to 'A' or 'S' if not 'M' (if you don't understand, then don't buy a new camera!)

Maybe I'll start a thread to see if there is enough interest...

Almost on my back door...I would be certainly interested.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ditched all my big stuff, got fed up with carrying it when mountaineering etc. I recently got an Olympus TG-4 (Tough version 4).

F2.0 lens

Raw & full HD

close focus down to 1cm in microscope mode.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/digital_cameras/tough/tg_4/index.html

I also like the fact I have the adaptor & it takes a 40mm? filter thread so have a UV on all the time, also have a circ polarizer also.

Downsides long end is rubbish, have to get the teleconverter, but not a problem for me as mainly landscape I do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have you considered 2nd hand?

Price of a new D5500 might be £500?

2nd hand might get you a D7100 or D700

http://www.wexphotographic.com/used-nikon-dslr-cameras/b3242?sortby=1&price_en_gb=400.0%26lt%3bprice_en_gb%26lt%3b500.0

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/

I've a D40 (6MP) and am considering a D7000.... and a Sigma 10-20 HSM. Get shot of my 18-55. Keep my 35mm & swop 55-200 for 55-300 or 70-300....