Performance Air Filters Query

Dome

Have any of you guys fitted performance air filters to your Skoda's?

A mate of mine has one and is tempted to a K+N or Pipercross he wants to know if it is worthwile on it's own? He may add a chip at a later date.

I take it you mean a replacement performance air filter for the standard airbox as opposed to a CAI kit?

Regardless, becareful of K&N as these tend to be heavily oiled and can cause MAF problems.

I have a Green Filters Dynatwist CAI on my RS and other here have the ABD CAI. Both give gains of around 8bhp

Green filterd also do replacement panel filters; these are lightly oiled.

Shall I give you the same reply as I did on Scoobynet, or a different one?

:D

Yes, there can be risk to the maf, and the gains are not huge, personal opinion is that the standard one is fine, just change it more often than skoda say (40k) - I swap mine every 20k.

I have fitted the K&N filter. Much better response at low revs (in combination with the forge dv)

All these filters (high flow cotton gauze ) are oiled, there are no heavily or lightly oiled filters, they are just oiled. You just have to be careful when you are going to wash it and re-oil it, not to spray too much oil on it.

On the other hand I have not heard good things about the "free flowing foam media" used in many filters.

Dome

A Pipercross replacement filter (very possibly) cost me my MAF on my year old Audi A4, but I never had a problem with K&N panel filters.

HOWEVER!, as Ian mentioned, I no longer bother with the risk as the gains are very small on a car that has been remapped anyway.

Rob

Too late I'm afraid, he's just ordered a filter(not sure what make...) and a custom made exhaust...

So much for asking for advice, the chip would probably be the same price.

Don't worry, I'll beat him round the head repeatedly with my keyboard when I see him next, then nick the keys :evil:

Several people on here have changed their induction. Common ones are:

ABD

Neuspeed

Green Cotton (Twister I think is the name).

Admittedly mine's only been on for about 12,000 miles so possibly to early to tell on the maf front.

No reported problems with any of the above to date.

I had an ITG panel filter in my Impreza. I convinced myself it resulted in better low down response. However, I took it out after I learned about the MAF issues and felt no difference with the standard paper filter.

Steve

Hello!

I have Octavia TDI 110 (remapped). I've made more than 40.000 miles with K&N filter and there is no problems with MAF.

Actually I checked it last Friday with Vag-com and everything is perfect with it. :)

Greetings from Poland! :)

Originally posted by DGW in this post

Hi, MiKruS! Who remapped your car and do you have any other mods apart from the K&N? :D

Hi!

It was remapped here: http://www.tdi-tuning.pl (web is only in Polish :( )

It is probably one of the best in Poland, I think. ;)

I will have custom exhaust installed next Wednesday. I belive I will be able to show you some pics and dyno results (before and after).

I also plan to install bigger intercooler (like in VAG's 150PD) this Winter.