Best engine?

Looking to get an octavia 1.4 tsi, is this a reliable engine or not? (lot of misinformation about the other twin turbo one, obviously this isnt that one)

I've read the following though on forums and elsewhere, are they reliable enough?

1. 1.8 tsi, 2.0 tsi - turbos blowing?

2. vrs unreliable turbos?

3. usual DPF problems on vrs

4. Early 1.4 tsi going

5. 1.6 mpi = too slow, seems only one that doesn't have issues?

Id ideally like to get a petrol Vrs, but Id rather have a reliable car than a possible engine blow, is it that common?

Think chain tensioners are the main weakness on petrol tsi engines, although I'm sure 1000s of owners don't have any issues as people tend to post when things go wrong.

Only problem diesel engine to avoid is the pd170 on the vrs as they slapped a dpf on it which is not really compatible + there are issues of injector recall going pear shaped. pd140 and pd105 are last of the old school non cr engines and are very reliable but a bit noisy.

Cr diesel engines have awkward mounted egr system at the rear of the engine so any egr issues will mean expensive labour charges.

• Like 1

Chains and tensioners even on non twin charged like Golf 122bhp can also cause problems from what I have read. Not had any myself, but the startup rattle does scare me when it happens.

But did they change from chain to belt on the 1.2tsi at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gav_is_con

If your annual mileage isn't high then you might stick to 1,6 MPI. It's reliable (at least so says my experience and my observations) but it likes petrol and it ain't a race horse.

I own a 1.4 tsi Octavia which I bought in September from looker's dealership. It had only covered 27 k I noticed a rattle on start up and took it back. They replaced the chain and tensioner under warranty. Gave me 2 years parts warranty on the chain and tensioner. It's a good little engine good on fuel and fast enough. My advice would be if your going to buy one get it from a Skoda dealer you get one year warranty and break down cover. Then look into a aftermarket warranty. Still a lot cheaper than buying a brand new car. Ask if the chain as ever been replaced etc.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I own a 1.4 tsi Octavia which I bought in September from looker's dealership. It had only covered 27 k I noticed a rattle on start up and took it back. They replaced the chain and tensioner under warranty. Gave me 2 years parts warranty on the chain and tensioner. It's a good little engine good on fuel and fast enough. My advice would be if your going to buy one get it from a Skoda dealer you get one year warranty and break down cover. Then look into a aftermarket warranty. Still a lot cheaper than buying a brand new car. Ask if the chain as ever been replaced etc.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I bought approved used from a dealer, partly for this 1 year warranty which can be trusted and had no issues with a clutch replacement recently. Does anyone know if this can be extended as it comes towards the end, rather than having to go no warranty, or aftermarket warranty?