Maf

I always leave the TB plugged in with the ignition on & something wedging the gas pedal down to fully open the TB flap, which makes it much easier for cleaning.

You don't actually need to reset/adapt the TB with VCDS/Vagcom if you unplug it as it will self align over a few driving cycles, but if you do unplug it's important not to start the engine untill the TB stops whistling { approx 30 secs) when reconnected & ignition on.

N.B. If you do unplug the TB don't force the flap open or you'll be buying a new unit £££££'s.

BTW Isopropal is fine for cleaning the MAF. If you do have to get a new MAF buy genuine only or you'll be buying twice.

Edited by pauldazzle

I always leave the TB plugged in with the ignition on & something wedging the gas pedal down to fully open the TB flap, which makes it much easier for cleaning.

You don't actually need to reset/adapt the TB with VCDS/Vagcom if you unplug it as it will self align over a few driving cycles, but if you do unplug it's important not to start the engine untill the TB stops whistling { approx 30 secs) when reconnected & ignition on.

N.B. If you do unplug the TB don't force the flap open or you'll be buying a new unit £££££'s.

BTW Isopropal is fine for cleaning the MAF. If you do have to get a new MAF buy genuine only or you'll be buying twice.

Great stuff.cheers mate

• 3 months later...

I am having the same code, P0172. Did you finally sort it out?

I have already cleaned the TB and I removed the MAF today but I found a crack to what seems to be an insulating glue. Any ideas?

post-12537-0-78232000-1462546774_thumb.jpg

Edited by OCTAVIA_4X4_ABT

Good advice - I ended up buying twice.

I don't know how these sellers get away with bad MAFs on the market. So strict with MOT's but there is no regulation selling parts that don't work.

• Like 1