Help vrs tdi

Hi could do with some help,

First my dpf light came on

Then my glow plug light is flashing then engine manage ment light has come on so now it's in limp mode

And to top it of my cruise control has stopped working

I can't really help you other than advising that you'll likely be asked to get it scanned with VCDS or some other method (such as Carista) to get any codes that have been logged. There is a map of VCDS owners on this forum, a search should find it. They'll get the codes for you for beer tokens, a darn sight cheaper than a dealer.

Yep, my money is on the pressure sensor.

How quickly did the EML and glowplug light come on after the DPF light? If it was quick this would support a sensor issue.

If you have continued to drive the car for a few days with the DPF light on then basically the car is telling you to get into the garage ASAP.

Cruise control is automatically disabled when the car is in limp-home mode.

A VCDS scan will reveal all!

Hi I used the car on saterday to clear the dpf

Then Monday morning it came back on

Drove 30 miles and then the elm light then the engine light and limp mode and loss off power

And now using loads of diesel

I'm assuming your vRS is the pre-facelift (2007 - 2009) so it will likely have the older PD170 engine.

The DPF's were retrofitted to this engine (rather than designing the engine to work properly with the DPF like the later CR170 engine) so now the earlier vRS's are getting older and are covering more miles we are seeing more and more threads about failing DPF's.

It may still be a sensor, although I doubt it now you mentioned that you were able to clear the DPF light on Saturday. Normally when a sensor goes down it won't allow a regeneration of the DPF thus preventing the light from going out.

Once the DPF fills up it puts you in limp-home and gives the EML and glowplug light. This is effectively the car saying that it can't clear the DPF. Following the guide in the manual now also won't work. You need to get it looked at before completely killing the DPF, although I suspect it may well be already dead.

I've been where you are and in the end sold the car. Had I kept it I would have been down the road to Shark to have the DPF professionally gutted and mapped out. Loads of threads on here from people who have done it, transformed the car apparently.

Edited by silver1011

Cheers for that mate

I've been told I need a new dpf it's full??????

I've also been told if I delete dpf it I'm opening a can of worms as it will fail the mot and I can get done etc etc

How much should I be paying for a dpf

Cheers firthy

Well, a DPF is a very expensive thing :)

Many people get rid of their DPFs and somehow manage to pass the MOT. yeah, it's cheaper.

Basically normal car should be able to pass MOT even without DPF.

A long as you have the DPF properly sorted (open it up, remove the insides, weld it back up and map out the sensors) then you will pass an MOT without issue.

Even if, and only if, stricter legislation comes in then you can buy an aftermarket DPF for only a few hundred quid. Until then get the stupid thing taken off and enjoy the car.

Things may well have improved but DPF cleaning was often deemed a short term fix.

I guess it depends on the cleaning process but the baffles / mesh inside the DPF has a coating on it that helps to catch the soot. Washing the DPF damages it and makes it less efficient.

As a result you soon find yourself with issues again.

Edited by silver1011

Cheers for that,

What's the cost ish for delete dpf????? Oppose to buying a dpf. Falling well out of love with this car now,after wanting one for a couple of yrs

Many thanks for the replys firthy

A good quality DPF removal and stage 0 map (codes out the sensors, no performance gain) can be had for about £450. Check Shark out (forum sponsor)...

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/

Alternatively aftermarket DPF's can be bought for around £300 plus fitting...

http://www.vegeuk.com/uk_en/diesel_partical_filter.html

Edited by silver1011

I generally get out of work around 17:45, so could meet up somewhere, just let me know.

Hi mate I've had to bite the bullet and stick the car in the garage as of Monday I'm moving jobs Sod's law been really local for the past 7 mths and need it back sharpish,

Thanks for the kind offer though cheers firthy

Hi mate I've had to bite the bullet and stick the car in the garage as of Monday I'm moving jobs Sod's law been really local for the past 7 mths and need it back sharpish,

Thanks for the kind offer though cheers firthy

No probs, hope you get it sorted for a reasonable price.