Felicia valve adjustment

So last time i adjusted my valves on my 1.3lx carb model felicia to 0.20mm exhaust and 0.25mm intake. Came out pretty good when cold but when engine gets hot they get a little noisy. Is this because of the steel pushrods ? I think mine are all steel but not sure..

And this os how i adjusted them. I jacked the passenger side wheel, put the car in 5th gear and removed the engine cover obviously and started to turn the wheel thus turning the engine. Now haynes says when valve number 8 fully open which means fully down right? Adjust valve number 1. In this case i payed very close attention to valve 8 to be fully down and just as it started to go back up i backed off a little for it to be at tdc

Your engine has all steel pushrods. The valve clearance is 0.2 mm on both intake and exhaust.
As for how to do the adjustment, I wrote a guide in Classic Technical Guides section.

• Like 1

There is no "my method". There is the "rule of 9" described by Haynes and the "overlap" method described by Skoda. They are equivalent. I described perfectly clear what "valve overlap" means.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone, 

I write my question here, because i don't want to open a new topic just for that. 

I’m currently planning a 4500km road trip with the felicia. And I’m thinking if I should check the valve adjustments or just go after the moto " don't touch it if it works".

When should this job be done? 

I’m also curious about why should the air temperature be below 20 degrees, when adjusting the valves? 

Thanks. 

Edited by nimbus

@nimbus :-

1. Given your circumstances, will the engine pass the next mileage valve adjustment interval before your return? If so, then I'd certainly do the valve adjustment before leaving.
  2. You are aware that metal expands when it gets hotter? I think that the air temperature is probably "best practice" rather than a mandatory requirement, given that the engine was installed in cars sold to nations where daytime temperature would be above 20C for several months at a time.

18 hours ago, nimbus said:

I’m also curious about why should the air temperature be below 20 degrees, when adjusting the valves? 

Skoda manual says "room temperature and engine cold (about 20°C)". This is for convenience. It is a standard, fairly easy achievable air temperature, that happens to be right in the middle of our comfort zone.

• Like 1