VRS TSI CCZA Engine

Just like to ask some advice i bought my 09 plate octavia vrs fl in july 15 from a seat dealer with a full skoda service history.

The timing tensioner has failed and now i need new engine it only has 55k on clock and skoda uk are unwilling to help out any advise would be great guys thanks.

GAZ

I'm surprised Skoda UK aren't willing to help, especially if it has a full Skoda main dealer service history.

The timing chain failure is a well known and well documented issue which makes their refusal to help even more unusual.

• Like 1

Me neither. The TPI (Technical Product information) in the link below was issued in 2011 concerning the timing chain but this was not a recall or campaign, but rather information on how dealers should investiagte specific problems.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/?p=3455430

Edited by DGW

Unless the OP purchased a warranty and/or purchased the car new I doubt Skoda would be interested, why should they? Better of pursing the dealer as its them you purchased the car from and have statutory rights.

if thats the case we are saying don't bother paying extra for a full ssh because its not worth paper its written on im a mechanic i can do the work myself if i have to.

I saw a post on here a while back concerning the 15d7 campaign but can't find it now

The FMDSH is not a ticket for a free unlimited warranty, they take the whole ownership into account otherwise people like me would'nt be paying £400 on warranties. A FMDSH helps (mostly) when it comes to selling the car and some warranty companies look at it more favorably when assessing claims. If you did not purchase the car new, or have it on finance then the supplying dealer is your only hope.

I believe the campaign referred to was only in place to save VAG from excessive warranty claims. All affected engines are already outside warranty so Skoda/VAG etc couldn't give a stuff to be honest and when they did care it was only about their own liability. The idea was that if a customer booked a car in with a known defective engine then the campaign would allow the dealer to claim the parts and labour back from VAG (Skoda). To ensure a measured stream of output not all cars were flagged on the system at the same time even if they shared the same engine. Customers were not told but might find an unexpected line-item on their service worksheet if the modification had been applied.

It wasn't a recall and it wasn't made public but VAG were explicitly stating that they knew of the engine issue. If you want your money back you have to prove in court that what caused the timing chain to fail was the timing chain issue - that, surprisingly, is not straightforward. First your dealer and then Skoda will allege all sorts of wierd and wonderful possible stories about how the car was used, abused etc all to cast doubt on the obvious explanation i.e. that the engine was simply flawed when it left the factory.

Happened to me. Still ****ed about it. Probably shows.

• Like 1

The dealer is under the impression that i should of got it and looking through the history of the problem a lot of people have. This is a clear problem they have recognized a long time ago and should of sorted affected engines.

No timing chain should be failing at 55k thats the point in having the chain if they haven't built a engine with properly tested parts i believe this to be there problem they know there is a problem with the tensioner on ccza engines as is well documented on here and other forums.

You say the Skoda has a full service history right? Can you list on here when, where and at what mileage the Skoda main delaer services were carried out (should be detailed in the service book).

If it does have full service history then I'd be on the phone asking why the service campaign wasn't carried out on your car.

Warranty or not, Skoda UK are well aware of this issue and have paid out to repair cars in the past. Read this thread which details the service campaign...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/205264-service-recall-15d7-camshaft/