Advice needed please :)

Hi all,

Yes I'm an octy owner who dares trespass into superb territory lol. Basically my parents have a Passat estate and are changing cars and were so impressed with my octy they were after one too until I pointed out the boot lip on the octy isn't great for them but suggested the superb.

Have spotted a 2011 elegance estate (they want auto petrol) which they are keen on but wondering what the common pitfalls are? Also does mid 10k pricing sound right for around 40k mileage?

Cheers in advance for any advice!

We have been driving a MY 2011 Elegance Estate, automatic and petrol engine (180 TSI) for over 5 years now. Only two problems during this time - one when the car was fairly new, a production fault with the locking mechanism drivers door and the other was with the plastic cover to the tow bar. The door mechanism was due to moisture getting into the system and the tow bar problem was due to us never using the tow bar and the plastic "cap" couldn't be removed. So two fairly minor problems. We have been very pleased with the ease of handling for such a large car and also its acceleration. A very comfortable car to drive. Happy with the brand and happy with the model so we have ordered a new one.

• Like 2

Price sounds good. Note the 1.8 tsi uses the 7 speed dsg which has a chequered reputation. Make sure it all shifts as it should on a good long test drive!

Petrol models are few and far between though particularly with dsg so if they really must go petrol they may not have many to choose from!

Have spotted a 2011 elegance estate (they want auto petrol) which they are keen on but wondering what the common pitfalls are? Also does mid 10k pricing sound right for around 40k mileage?

I've been checking out pricing of used Superbs and that price looks to be in the right ballpark for an estate. There's a 2012 2.0TSI estate with lower mileage on the Skoda Approved Used website at just under £12k. The 1.8 should be cheaper and the one you have seen is a year older.

If it doesn't have to be an estate, you might be interested in my 2012 Elegance 2.0TSI DSG twindoor in the For Sale section.

The only issue with my Superb over four years and 46,000 miles was the fuel filler cap door sticking shut - fixed under warranty.

Thanks guys. Yes they must have an estate as my father is disabled and my mum puts his walker in the boot (plus they sometimes have my dogs in there also!). They do 90% of their travelling as short trips of under 10 miles so I didn't think a diesel would be a good idea with the DPFs etc plus just doesn't do any long runs to clear it out. Seems this one I found may be dodgy. It's a private sale with the guy saying he bought it was and 1owner. Had an RAC check done on it and V5C says 2 owners and is flagging up with some form of finance or PCP against it from 2013 which is when the ownership also changed so seems a bit fishy even tho seller is adamant he is the owner from new.

Not sure where abouts in the country you are but spires Skoda have a 2013 that's up for sale at £13.5k which I looked at in December. They were trying to sell it through their seat branch in watford originally for £14k so it's been around a while so may take a cheeky offer. It was great condition and had a few extras too over elegance spec. Drove nicely but we couldn't come to a good enough deal for me at the time so I didn't buy it.

Price sounds good. Note the 1.8 tsi uses the 7 speed dsg which has a chequered reputation. Make sure it all shifts as it should on a good long test drive!

Petrol models are few and far between though particularly with dsg so if they really must go petrol they may not have many to choose from!

This is what my concern would be. The DSG7 does seem a little weak compared to the DSG6 in the 2.0TSI or V6.

I've been checking out pricing of used Superbs and that price looks to be in the right ballpark for an estate. There's a 2012 2.0TSI estate with lower mileage on the Skoda Approved Used website at just under £12k. The 1.8 should be cheaper and the one you have seen is a year older.

If it doesn't have to be an estate, you might be interested in my 2012 Elegance 2.0TSI DSG twindoor in the For Sale section.

The only issue with my Superb over four years and 46,000 miles was the fuel filler cap door sticking shut - fixed under warranty.

The 2.0TSI would be a real peach and rare. I'd like to get myself in one of those. Particularly an estate!

Have you considered the V6 if they do low mileage?

• Like 1