DVI or HDMI KVM 1440p advice please

octavia5

I want to upgrade my monitor to a good 1440p one to go with my new PC replacing one of my two systems, but I also need to keep my second system but only have space for one Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse (K & M standard not gaming). New system will be Win 10 and my second system currently dual boots Win 7 & 10.

Can anyone recommend a good quality KVM switch that will work with a 1440p monitor, either HDMI or DVI connection as my existing KVM is VGA.

Idealy the switch would switch PS2 K&M but if not I will buy new ones with USB connections

Edited by octavia5

I want to upgrade my monitor to a good 1440p one to go with my new PC replacing one of my two systems, but I also need to keep my second system but only have space for one Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse (K & M standard not gaming). New system will be Win 10 and my second system currently dual boots Win 7 & 10.

Can anyone recommend a good quality KVM switch that will work with a 1440p monitor, either HDMI or DVI connection as my existing KVM is VGA.

Does anyone use KVM switches anymore? can't you just remote desktop? A few years back I threw out a load of KVM switches but they were also VGA.

Remote Desktop only works if the OS can boot as well ;). I used to use KVMs but have moved almost exclusively to machines with ILO/ipmi.

How about using the kvm for keyboard and mouse but use use dual input on the monitor. Or a USB switcher instead of the kvm.

Or some monitors have the USB switcher built in. I'm eyeing up the Dell u3415w at the moment and I think it will switch your USB based on what input you choose.

You can still get KVM gear, but  DVI it is rarer and very expensive.

The other issues are quality at the desired screen rez and input ports, loads of legacy port KVM's , but no many decent looking ones with USB (TONNES of cheap Chinese KVMs with USB).

The only decent one I had was DVI, and legacy ports for mouse & keyboard that cost me £80 about 7-8 years ago - it was running 1440p if I remember correctly.

Sorry I cant give you a model number or brand; what I CAN do is warn you to check it comes with cables (a lot dont),  and that they are long enough for you.

There's probably a buzzword that covers it but I don't know it yet: Having searched the internet for 5 minutes for KVMs, I stumbled over certain monitors that switch HDMI and USB hubs when switching source.... There's a very nice 34" Dell curved 1440P monitor that would do the job!

I would use the multiple inputs on the Monitor - I have server/firewall into the VGA, Old PC HDMI and new PC into DVI.    I have, however, two keyboards and mice - it would be nice to have a more elegant solution.

I'm still positive that software switching is preferential to hardware KVM. Is there a reason you have to shut one down and fire the other one up physically? Some PC's can wake on Lan. So as long as there is power and the two PC's are connected by a lan you can wake the unit up as and when required. Then you just plug your monitor and keyboard into the better Hardware and switch when you need to.

Edited by Scribbler

I'm still positive that software switching is preferential to hardware KVM. Is there a reason you have to shut one down and fire the other one up physically? Some PC's can wake on Lan. So as long as there is power and the two PC's are connected by a lan you can wake the unit up as and when required. Then you just plug your monitor and keyboard into the better Hardware and switch when you need to.

I would agree with you if you wanted both pcs on.

Anyway this thread prompted me to go and have a look what was available:

1. USB 2.0 SHARING SWITCH from Amazon (comes with cables)

2. Lindy PS2 to USB cable

Plug each PC in the Switch - Switch connected  to USB hub - Wireless mouse in Hub and lindy cable to PS2  in Hub with HP PS2 keyboard.

Seems to work fine.