Gearbox noise 1.6TDI

Hello all.

I have a 2014 Octavia 1.6 TDI - 5spd manual. It has covered only 12,000 miles, but in recent days I have started to notice a faint gearbox noise at low speeds. This is noticable in 1st and 2nd at low speed - especially in traffic. It is a grinding type noise.

The noise is only apparent when moving. There is no noise when stationary, with clutch in or out.

I have booked it into the dealer to have a look under warranty, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this? I am a bit fussy and it may be 'a characteristic' but I don't recall my old 1.9 TDI having the same noise.

Any ideas?

I had something similar when I pushed my car very hard in mountains.

It turned out that I had too little gearbox oil in.

If someone changed a gearbox oil in your car and he is not aware of new Skoda top-up procedure...that might be the same problem.

Once, I flushed oil and filled right amount...no problems anymore.

Furthermore, oil lab results were alarming...overheated burnt gearbox oil with lots of metallic particles in oil. Few more kilometres and you need a new gearbox.

I would start with gear box oil but I guess your car is still in warranty.

Thanks for your advice gents. I have booked the car in on Monday at the dealership and I will request that the oil level is checked as a minimum (I may even request that it is changed, although if it is warranty work they may not fund this) It does sound like that kind of noise, especially when cold. It has only done 12,000 miles, but they may have been hard ones as I know the car was rental (like many of the Skoda approved used cars around)

Otherwise all going well with the car.

I will update on if the oil change makes any difference or my wife is correct in telling me I am just a fuss pot!

Thanks for your advice gents. I have booked the car in on Monday at the dealership and I will request that the oil level is checked as a minimum (I may even request that it is changed, although if it is warranty work they may not fund this) It does sound like that kind of noise, especially when cold. It has only done 12,000 miles, but they may have been hard ones as I know the car was rental (like many of the Skoda approved used cars around)

Otherwise all going well with the car.

I will update on if the oil change makes any difference or my wife is correct in telling me I am just a fuss pot!

Did you buy it from motorpoint, as there mostly ex rental and a few are from Malta and not uk spec. I don't think it's abuse though, however I doubt the likes of euro car have ever serviced the car before its past on to the likes of motorpoint or whoever else you bought it from. So it may be just a duff box that may or may not been spotted, but as previous posts say the oil is a good place to start. Edited by Alpha2110

My 1.6 has been similar since I had it.  Mine whines at certain speeds, and grinds in 5th gear.  It's got over 50k on the clock now and hasn't got any worse so have left it.  I did get it into the dealers around 20k miles ago, but they just fitted a new clutch which made no difference.

Hi gents. The car I purchased from a Skoda main dealer. They have taken it in today and given me a nice new Fabia loan car.

I expressed that I wanted to get the oil changed as a matter of course, however they confirmed (as expected) that the oil is 'lifetime oil' and should be fine. I came away thinking that they are not going to find anything wrong and just state it is a 'characteristic' to which my wife would say 'I told you so'.

However.. just had a call to inform me that they have road tested the car and agree with me that the box is noisier than expected. The box is coming out tomorrow for investigation.

I will keep you posted. Glad I took it in though.

Had a call from the dealer today.

They are still awaiting all the parts to carry out the repair to the gearbox on my car. Although the service reception lady wasn't particularly 'techy' she did state that they were awaiting a replacement input shaft and bearings.

Clearly quite a big strip down for the box after 12,000 miles. God only knows who was driving this car before I purchased it.. possibly Nora Batty!

I'm really hoping the repair is successful. I have never had a car with box issues and am very disappointed that it has happened to this one, so soon. Knocks your confidence.

I am also surprised that they haven't fitted a replacement box altogether? Seems like hard work for a warranty job..

Still waiting for my car to be repaired. Called the dealer today, who is still awaiting parts to arrive, hopefully the car will be repaired by the end of the week.

A replacement gearbox would have been easier - and I would have been happier with this, but Skoda have only authorised the replacement parts to be fitted (bearings, input shaft to my knowledge) this seems a bit silly.

They have no idea why this has happened, possibly a manufacture fault or bad use in previous use.. it doesn't seem to be a weak point on these cars judging by this forum.

It will take me a while to get my trust back in this car, fingers crossed for a decent repair, otherwise it will be traded in for something else.

Got the car back today from the main dealer who I have been very impressed with. Car spotless when I picked it up etc..

The noise that I was complaining about is still there though! The gear change is more 'taught' than before which is nice, but the low speed harshness remains. I am sure they would have picked up on anything else while working on the car, so think I will just live with it.. at least until service time when I may take it to another dealer to assess.

If I can try another car out sometime, I would then be able to see if this is just a characteristic rather than mechanical issue.

Nice to have the car back though after a 2 week break!

Got the car back today from the main dealer who I have been very impressed with. Car spotless when I picked it up etc..

The noise that I was complaining about is still there though! The gear change is more 'taught' than before which is nice, but the low speed harshness remains. I am sure they would have picked up on anything else while working on the car, so think I will just live with it.. at least until service time when I may take it to another dealer to assess.

If I can try another car out sometime, I would then be able to see if this is just a characteristic rather than mechanical issue.

Nice to have the car back though after a 2 week break!

Correct me if I am wrong but your car was at the main dealer for two weeks? In that time they did not really solve the problem?

The car was cleaned though.

I would have been more impressed if they acknowledged and fixed the fault. Did they offer you a like for like comparison in another car? Gearbox issue are hardly trivial.

What dealer is this? So I can get mine washed too ;-)

• Like 1

Good point!

There clearly was a fault with the box, as they have replaced multiple parts and the delay was largely due to getting hold of the parts. I am surprised that the noise is still evident, but wonder if it is/was actually the box, however they should know!

A drive in another car would help granted so I will try and arrange this. The garage is Ridgeway in Oxford.

• 1 month later...

After a week of driving the car, I was sure the noise I had reported was still evident, infact just as it was before it was investigated.

I took the 'Master Tech' out for a ride and I replicated the noise at low speed that I was concerned about. He confirmed the noise wasn't right and then compared it with another 1.6 TDI in stock which didn't have the noise my car had.

So.. back in a loan car for another 3 weeks! (parts on back order). I have had the loan of a Citigo, which has been an absolute joy to use and am most impressed by the little car.

My car has now had a new differential along with the numerous parts fitted on the 1st attempt at sorting. I hope to get it back in the next few days, which I am looking forward to and hopeful that the noise has gone. I have been in loan cars longer than I have actually used my own car!

If not, then it may be PX'd against something else..

Are you enjoying paying for the citigo? I would tolerate running about in one of them for the duration.

Maybe you should be given an octavia as that is what you are paying for?

• Like 1

Finally the saga has been sorted out!

Even after fitting the new differential, the noise was apparently still there. In the end Skoda agreed to fitting a new gearbox to the car, which I wanted all along, so I am happy. It has amazed me the lengths the dealer had to go to before they would authorise this, in terms of labour time alone.

The noise has gone, so I can now get back on with enjoying the car again. Hopefully no more issues!

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have the same 1.6tdi 2014, manual model experiencing similar issue. I have a noise releasing the clutch especially when cold. the noise is something like deep brrr with wail.

The noise/sound is manifesting when the car starts to move on the 1st gear or R, but i think i feel it there when shifting 1-st->2-nd gear.

I have one month guarantee left and the dealer confirmed the noise after inspection, the working diagnose is gear box, upcoming week the car will be there. Indications is for about 3-4 weeks delivery of the gear box if confirmed.