DSG7 noise when changing gears

In this topic, I'll describe a recurring problem with my DSG7. At about 6000 km the gearbox started making a whiny noise when changing gears up from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. The noise was brief and appeared mostly in warmer weather, and when I could hear it, the upchange took a bit longer than usually. It sounded like the clutch was slipping and making the noise. Took the car to the dealer, they took the readings and sent them to the factory. The verdict was to change both of the clutches. As my girlfriend picked it up and she's not that technical, I can't be sure but they told her that both of them were already worn.

Then the car was fine until 19,000 km - in June the problem reappeared, although this time only when changing gears from 2nd to 3rd. Took it in again, they sent the data to the factory and upgraded the gearbox firmware. The problem disappeared after the update but the box started making the same noise a few days ago (so it was fine for about 2-3 weeks), this time with gear changes 1->2 and 2->3. I contacted the dealer yet again. They called me and told that this time the clutch change was not authorized since the factory was supposedly working on a fix and new clutches are only a temporary solution. They also tole me I'm not the only one with this issue, and there was at least one more Octavia with the noise even here in Estonia, and other people in other countries too. I was told not to worry as it's just a noise - a bit strange if last time this "just a noise" ended with worn clutches.

The point of this topic is to check if anybody here has the same problem. I'll upload a voice or video clip with the noise in a few days as it's not easy to describe a noise in writing.

Edited by ColinD
tags
  • Like 1

Is this just the same DQ200 DSG 7 speed Twin Dry Clutch Gearbox, 

which the Volkswagen Group did a World Wide Recall on, but which did not include Europe & some other World Regions,

They got a Service Campaign only to change the Synthetic oil to Mineral Oil & do a Software Update.

If it is, then take all you are told with a pinch of salt, and have Skoda CZ or Estonia have the matter sorted out.

If they bother talking with truth they will know that Clutch Pack & Mechatronic Control Unit Failures are not uncommon.

In New Zealand at least a Proper Service Campaign was done.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

• Like 1

That was a link to show the issues and that was New Zealand.

In the UK Skoda UK Started the Service Campaign in May 2014.

& vehicles first Registered in 2013 & 2014 in the UK have had Service Campaign Work carried out on their DQ200.

& others have been missed.

Because it was not a Recall the VWG did not get Contact Details from VOSA for Registered Keepers 

and only those Skoda UK / Dealers have contacts for were informed,

and even some of those were missed, and even cars that are 'Skoda Approved Used Cars', 

have passed through Skoda Franchised Dealers hands and were not Serviced, so have missed out 

on the Service Campaign work in some cases, then there are Dealers Employees that say,

'The Computer says no, so your DSG does not require and Field Action'.

So this is why i did not assume that the Octavia III 7 Speed DSG was the same as others in the 

Yeti, Roomster, Fabia, & Superb,

& maybe all Octavia III DQ200 DSG have Mineral Oil in, i have no idea.

VW / Skoda will be the ones that know that.

(& we know they have full traceability.....

Vorsprung Durch Technik.....)

*When Skoda or VW say there are only a few affected by the likes of their components failures,

say with Clutch Packs, Noises etc.

That can be because a 'Dealership Employee' says ' They all do that, or only some do that and the Factory 

is dealing with it and looking at a fix',  but they fail to tell the Factory,

in other words 'they lie or mislead, or they are Factory Trained Technicians or Service Desk Receptionists & they follow the VWG way,  Tell them anything, and they might just put up with it,

and sometimes Customer Service is not their concern in the slightest'.*

This Volkswagen Link is probably not relevant either to the Skoda Octavia III DQ200,

but at least VW have it on a Website, 

It is more than Skoda UK, Skoda CZ or Skoda EU bothered to put on a Website 

for Owners & Drivers of Skoda that might be affected.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/about-us/recall-info

Edited by goneoffSKi

I don't think it's the same issue. Anyway, my car was built in April 2014.

Mine was also built in April 2014 and it does not make the noise you describe.

The OPs did not make the noise until 6,000 km.  

then it has had poor repairs carried out, and the noise returned at 19,000 km

That is why you have a Manufacturers Warranty, and the Warranty Work is Guaranteed.

The Noise is not a characteristic, or as designed by the Volkswagen Engineers,. it is Component Failures.

Simply have Skoda Customer Services arrange to have the vehicle correctly repaired, 

and not the cheapest option since you have already been inconvenienced and they need to do the correct repair while the vehicle is in Warranty,

so maybe a 'New Gearbox', 

or if you accept more attempts at repairs, then you need to have them extend the Warranty, which they often do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to break out from lurking-mode and say that I've had exactly the same problem as you with a MY15 1.4TSI DSG7 (Built May/June 2014 and run 19000KM). Whining noises when changing gears from neutral to 1st, 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. The problem was pretty sporadic, but it seems like it happened more often when the engine/gearbox was under heavy load (steep hills, load on the towbar or a bit heavy on the throttle) and the car has run for quite some time. It was very noticeable this weekend when I was driving up and down several mountain-roads here in Norway, and the car reeked of burnt clutch when stopping to admire the views and nature..

I had it checked at my dealer last week and they upgraded the gearbox software right away. I was also told that they needed to change the clutch(es), and this was done today. Haven't really driven it much since I fetched it, but I think the gearbox felt a bit smoother than before.

Fingers crossed that this isn't something that needs to be done more than one time!

My car did this a couple of times. It happened when the car was stuck in stop and go traffic for a while in warm weather. Dealer was not able to find any problems in the transmission. I've done 10000 kms after that. The sound hasn't returned yet. 

• 1 month later...

I bought my 1.2 DSG Yeti, delivered on the 8th of June 2104 and it certainly hasn't had any service campaign work carried out on it unless they did it during the PDI.

Has anyone any official notification of such work?

If so I would be very glad to have sight of it.

This is the email I sent my Skoda Dealer. I have yet to get a reply.

Please discuss with your service department.

As per our recent conversation/emails.

Gear box ‘grunting' when starting off 1>2>3

Please see this article. it describes my problem exactly.  And the noise on the video is the same a s mine, but it does not happen all the time although it is getting more frequent.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/363360-dsg7-noise-when-changing-gears/ 

Reading Briskoda, there seems to be a lot of unhappiness with the DSG box , have you had any problems reported?

If you listen to the video (you will need full volume and note the instructions as to when the sound occurs) clip it is exactly the noise my box is making. It does not bode well, judging by some of the comments on Briskoda. I did check at the time regarding the oil problem/recall, but was informed my box was not affected. I presume my Yeti box is a DQ200?

I will contact the service department on Monday.

By the way, further to our telecom this afternoon, the answer to the non functioning window is on page 44 of the Yeti handbook. I have done as it suggests and it seems to be working fine.Why it stared misbehaving is a mystery.

(just in case anyone else asks you the same question).

best wishes.

Colin L

• 3 months later...

Keeping the thread alive. Had my 30 000 km service a few days ago but still nothing (although the dealer was supposed to get a fix from the factory by Nov/Dec - they didn't).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little update from me as well. As I mentioned in my post last July, I had the DSG sw updated and the clutch replaced. The problem seemed to be fixed for quite a while, but I think it returned around new year. At first it was just once in a while, but the last month it's been been more frequent.

I had my Octavia at the dealers for the 30000km service yesterday and I told them that the problem with the whining noise had appeared again. But seems like the technician wasn't able to reproduce the issue and tried to blame the noises on the turbo (which it is clearly not). Noise still seems to appear when the car has been driven for a while and/or is under heavy load (using tow bar, steep hill or heavy right foot) and is mostly noticeable on gears 0->1, 1->2 and 2->3.

The car is going in again in two weeks to replace the front door seals, so I guess I just have to hope that the issue is present when I deliver it. Hopefully VAG can find a permanent fix, as I don't really want to replace the clutch every 6-12 months..

• 3 weeks later...

Clutches replaced once again yesterday. This time it's supposed to be an updated clutch pack.

Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

Edited by Mardu