Alternative to main dealer for service

I just had what the dealer called a "small service" on my superb estate auto @ 40 k miles

This involved oil change, pollen filter top up screen was Eric

Cost £149

This was the first service I've paid for as the previous ones were under a warranty plan I paid for in advance when I bought the car second hand from a main dealer.

Question... Do I need to go to main dealer next small service. Now I've retired I will only be doing about 6k miles a year so is the next service time related

I just thought I could get it done cheaper by a mobile mechanic I know

I just had what the dealer called a "small service" on my superb estate auto @ 40 k miles

This involved oil change, pollen filter top up screen was Eric

Cost £149

This was the first service I've paid for as the previous ones were under a warranty plan I paid for in advance when I bought the car second hand from a main dealer.

Question... Do I need to go to main dealer next small service. Now I've retired I will only be doing about 6k miles a year so is the next service time related

I just thought I could get it done cheaper by a mobile mechanic I know

Savilles of Mustow Green, near Kidderminster were Skoda franchise dealers until last year. They have an excellent reputation and will service your car at sensible independent rates.

You shouldn't pay more than £139 for a minor service from a franchised main dealer so £149 wasn't far off...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

Your annual mileage means the car computer should be set to fixed service intervals (12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever is reached first). This guarantees a service / fresh oil at least one a year.

Over and above the oil, oil filter and pollen filter the only other service items are the air and fuel filters (brake fluid too, at 3 years old then every 2 years).

These can be added to the price of a minor service for between £50 and £80 depending on the dealer. I would add these every other service. The official service regime recommends longer intervals for the fuel and air filter but due to your mileage and their price you may as well swap them out more regularly.

Find a good independent garage and insist that they use genuine parts and your warranty will remain unaffected. You will probably miss out on any potential out-of-warranty goodwill gestures from Skoda UK but this is the chance you take, they aren't guaranteed anyway.

Just be aware though that good independents aren't always cheaper than a main dealer, especially when you factor in Skoda's fixed price policy linked above. Not many of them can beat £139 for an oil, oil filter, pollen filter, safety check and wash and vac, with the added bonus of a main dealer service stamp (sometimes useful when selling the car in the future, unlikely to add value but might make a car easier to sell).

Edited by silver1011

I'd pay money for a dealership not to wash my car...!

Buy an oil extractor (~£50 for a good one).

Pollen filter, air filter and oil filter and oil is about £40-50 worth of parts.  I always took my car to the dealership, got extremely upset the day they quoted me close to £300 for a service including fuel filter, so decided to learn to do it.  I do the filter and fluid changes myself now.

Stand around feeling extremely smug every time you pay yourself £100 / hr for the service.

Thanks

I know Mustow Green, but it's a bit too far to make two journeys unless they could do it while you wait

Speak to Richard or Mark. They will arrange for it to be done while you wait. I have my Superb serviced there instead of franchise dealer. They also do Fabias belonging to my sons. Trustworthy. Efficient and sensible pricing. Edited by kevberlin

I asked Autosales (Burntwood) for a price

To Supply and fit:-

Oil

Oil Filter

Air Fiter

Fuel Filter

Pollen Filter

it was oil/filter changed at 15,000, its on 31,000 now..............

Then it started....."well it isnt due all the filters, its due - blah - blah - blah"

I reminded her i had asked for a price an her suggested 40,000 for an air filter didnt fit easy with me....(my car, my rules)

"Good Afternoon,

As requested, please find the below a quote for a service – this includes an oil and oil filter change, pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter change and a full inspection of the vehicle.

This price is also inclusive of Vat - £295.60.

If you would like to book in for a service please feel free to contact us on 01543 450000.

Kind Regards

Kelly Mapp

Aftersales Advisor"