VWR Panel Filter - Cupra

Purch123

Hi guys, I own a 13 plate Ibiza cupra (wrong forum I know but I find this forum more active than the seatcupra forum) and recently fitted a new VWR panel filter which replaced a dirty OEM paper filter that's been fitted for nearly 30k miles.

I wasn't expecting much/any gain to be honest but my car actually feels like it has less power lol. Don't know if it's just me....but I've checked the fitting (hard to fit incorrectly, eh?) and all seems fine. With the paper element I had a lovely kick in third gear from 5k rpm up to the red line, but don't get this as much now. Unless the power delivery is even more linear than previously? Anyone had this or have any ideas?

Sorry for posting about a cupra, but it's generally the same as a vrs, right?

Cheers.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Was it a brand new filter, and clean?

Not really the same unless like this one.   (IMO they are pants.)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/202991-changing-air-filter-mk2-fabia-vrs-tsi-guide

Do you have a decent set of spark plugs in the car?

Yes brand new filter bought from AwesomeGTI (pre-oiled). The filter is very similar to the one in the link you've provided, but VWR's brand. As far as I know the spark plugs are the original ones and probably won't be changed until roughly 40k miles unless i get the dealer to change them at my next service (due soon). Car's been running flawlessly though, touch wood, just strange how it seems a bit down on power!

I have used a pipercross replacement filter before, and found it good, seemed a little better at high revs... I also got the "kick" at 5k too....

Yeah, it's a bit strange really. It could just be me, but it seems to certainly be lacking the 'kick' it had before. Might go back to a fresh oem filter instead and sell VWR one!

• Like 1

Best get the spark plugs changed, they might all be fine, or 1 plug might be on its way out.

30,000 miles can be pushing it, 

& 40,000 miles a real gamble.

Just out of Interest, has your Cupra had a Software Update at any Dealership Service, 

and also the Service Campaign done in your DSG, or was this not required on your car?

Changing the Synthetic Oil for Mineral & a Software Update.

(Service campaign began early 2014 in the UK with SEAT.)

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Best get the spark plugs changed, they might all be fine, or 1 plug might be on its way out.

30,000 miles can be pushing it, 

& 40,000 miles a real gamble.

Just out of Interest, has your Cupra had a Software Update at any Dealership Service, 

and also the Service Campaign done in your DSG, or was this not required on your car?

Changing the Synthetic Oil for Mineral & a Software Update.

(Service campaign began early 2014 in the UK with SEAT.)

I'll ask the dealer if they can change at the next service when I hit 30k (currently on 28.5k to be exact). My car was registered in November 2013, and I bought it as an ex-demo in April 2014. I'm assuming it's already had the DSG work carried out but not entirely sure. As for software updates it's been in for two services with the dealers. Would they carry out any software updates as part of the service? I can ask when I next take it in.

Edited by Purch123

Best call Seat UK and ask if it was done or needs done,

i do not have a link to a VIN checker like the one Skoda has.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

http://news.sky.com/story/1168639/vw-recalls-2-6m-cars-worldwide-over-faults

Cool, thanks for your help - I'll have a check. If any of you kind guys have any other ideas about the panel filter, please share them. Cheers.

Do you not think it is a good idea to spend £16 and buy a new OEM filter and see how your car goes.

Keep the VWR one for putting in to try in the summer months or someone might buy it off you.

I'll probably leave it on until it goes in for its next service then i'll get a new oem filter :)

Hi guys, I own a 13 plate Ibiza cupra (wrong forum I know but I find this forum more active than the seatcupra forum) and recently fitted a new VWR panel filter which replaced a dirty OEM paper filter that's been fitted for nearly 30k miles.

I wasn't expecting much/any gain to be honest but my car actually feels like it has less power lol. Don't know if it's just me....but I've checked the fitting (hard to fit incorrectly, eh?) and all seems fine. With the paper element I had a lovely kick in third gear from 5k rpm up to the red line, but don't get this as much now. Unless the power delivery is even more linear than previously? Anyone had this or have any ideas?

Sorry for posting about a cupra, but it's generally the same as a vrs, right?

Cheers.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

No need to apologise for posting - this is the place to come ;) .

I've never really seen the benefits in replacement panel filters, I've read to many stories like this one. Your best bet is to just replace the paper filter more regularly.

If you want to make a difference, get yourself an ITG Maxogen CAI. I had one on my old VRS and it made a real difference to the drivability of the engine and induction noises.