L&K Hatchback TSI 220PS DSG

fj604

Anyone with SIII L&K Hatchback TSI 220PS DSG? What are your experiences / impressions? Do you regret not going all the way up to 280PS?

Edited by fj604

Have not driven the 220PS in a Superb, the dealer did let me drive the 230PS in an Octavia VRS before I placed the order as that was the closest engine to the 220PS he had.  All I can say is it was smooth, very smooth and felt that it had a lot of power (however this currently I have a Mondeo that has the power of a snail - well 100+Hp less).  Additionally it was quiet and very responsive.  Going through the DSG box there was no feeling in the gear changes the only evidence was the maxidot display changing.

Looking forward to mine arriving, just been told that it is now confirmed as BW9 so expecting it late March.

• Like 1

Mine still has less than 700 miles on it so I'd hesitate to say anything until it's run in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Same here - only 300 miles at the moment, but I should be doubling that this weekend and the manual suggests after the first 620 miles (1000km) you can start to open it up a little more.

So far it seems very smooth and has plenty of relaxed torque to make decent progress without stressing it.

I would also be interested to know if anyone who has driven a 220 can give us a comparison ....

I've spent an hour or so in one, last year.

(Salesman was from another dealership, so we got seriously lost...)

Too much time spent pootling about in / around Watford,even more on 1 car wide

muddy lanes, but I have to say that was easy to place in traffic & not too bad as an

off-roader.

Managed a few highway / motorway miles, liked the car but I don't think it would keep-up

with my re-mapped S2 TSi.

If you can afford the extra pennies to buy & run the 280 it would be worth the expenditure.

We are hoping to buy a 280 soon & I intend to keep my S2 around for SWMBO, so we will 

be able to compare old & new, but probably not until the summer.

DC

PS, FWIW, the demo that we drove is up for sale at Skoda Watford, but I'm not interested, 

in it, it's been driven by me,,.....

• Like 1

Just over 1200 miles on mine now so felt it was time to try the sport setting. Wow, it was so eager to go. Always plenty of power available at any speed giving a thrilling surge of acceleration but you can incur wheelspin ,if not careful, and not just in bottom gear.

I will not be using 'sport' in normal driving as 'drive' still gives sparkling performance and feels more  relaxed. This is a fabulous engine/gearbox combination and gives me all the performance I need.

I can certainly understand why the 280TSI would need 4 wheel drive.

Re fuel consumption - the last tank has given me 32mpg (my calculation not the computer's) .This include a very fast return trip to Plymouth into a storm force wind, a more leisurely cross-country trip to Lyme and Bridport and a lot of town and local stop-start journeys.

I would think that a long distance motorway haul at 75mph(indicated) should give me better than 40mpg. I'll find that out in June when I go to Newcastle.

• Like 1

Just over 1200 miles on mine now so felt it was time to try the sport setting. Wow, it was so eager to go. Always plenty of power available at any speed giving a thrilling surge of acceleration but you can incur wheelspin ,if not careful, and not just in bottom gear.

I will not be using 'sport' in normal driving as 'drive' still gives sparkling performance and feels more  relaxed. This is a fabulous engine/gearbox combination and gives me all the performance I need.

I can certainly understand why the 280TSI would need 4 wheel drive.

Re fuel consumption - the last tank has given me 32mpg (my calculation not the computer's) .This include a very fast return trip to Plymouth into a storm force wind, a more leisurely cross-country trip to Lyme and Bridport and a lot of town and local stop-start journeys.

I would think that a long distance motorway haul at 75mph(indicated) should give me better than 40mpg. I'll find that out in June when I go to Newcastle.

If we hadn't decided to keep our S2, (ideal runabout for wifey............) then I would have opted for the 220 & probably treated it to a remap after a few 1000's of miles.

But you only live once so we are going to spend the pennies on a 280 estate.

Of course, if said SWMBO thought differently then it would be different, but she likes the power / need for speed, & wouldn't settle for less than the 261PS that she enjoys in

her Octy vRS.

As for S mode, we've tried it in all our cars & front wheel scrabble/ axle tramp is available, eve on dry roads. We don't often use S from a standstill, but it's useful when approaching 

roundabouts if you want a quick exit, 'cos it will down shift earlier & hold on to the lower gear through the exit.

DC