Strange running issue

OneFourSevenNine

So, car is only 4 weeks old with 445 miles on it.

This evening, getting ready to go and pick the wife up from work and, when I started it up, it went to 2.5K for 10 seconds before going back down to 1K idle, Strange I thought!

So after kangarooing up the road 50 yards or so noticed a bad burnt type smell and see a lot of smoke behind me I decided to pull over, tried revving it and it was lumpy as hell and sounded like it was bouncing off the rev limiter at 3.5K, dropping to 1.5K then straight back up to 3.5K, repeat...

Straight back and parked it on the driveway, Lifted bonnet, there was that smell again.

Very strange, anyone have any ideas?

I will of cause be ringing the garage tomorrow, but that wont help the earhole bashing I'll get when her indoors arrives home wet through :x

Will be interesting to find out what it is.  Dodgy coil pack can cause misfiring and revs to swing sometimes but the smoke and burning sounds a bit more serious. What colour was the smoke?

Are the revs limited when not in gear? I know my Octavia CR VRS was, but that used to just go to 2.5K and not move however hard you pressed the pedal.

Oh well, nuts to it, the garage can fix it, that's why I bought a new car :p

Edited by OneFourSevenNine

Been to garage this morning, Obviously it did it when I was going there, but not when there!

Its been on the diagnostics and there are no errors logged. Definitely unburnt petrol/cat smell. Seems to occur when engine temp is between 50-75c

They have booked it in for 2 days to investigate further, in the meantime, got told its okay to use, we will see what happens.

Cant fault the garage, they were very thorough.

Been to garage this morning, Obviously it did it when I was going there, but not when there!

Its been on the diagnostics and there are no errors logged. Definitely unburnt petrol/cat smell. Seems to occur when engine temp is between 50-75c

They have booked it in for 2 days to investigate further, in the meantime, got told its okay to use, we will see what happens.

Cant fault the garage, they were very thorough.

You might find you have something similar to mine, for the last almost year my car has had similar things to yours, if I rev the engine it'll stutter? If that's the right word, I found it only did this when the engine was cold and not warmed up, could explain why it was fine at the dealership

Yeah, my main worry, and the mechanics, was if this happens regular all the unburnt fuel through the cat will bork it.

They are going to check with Skoda to see what's what. They are suspicious the ECU is doing this to limited the revs when in neutral (and appears to have gone silly last night). If it had the ESC disable button it would be quick to check, but mine doesn't, hence the further investigation.

Interesting one this - mine (63 reg, 15k miles) took alot of effort to start this evening - it just wouldnt fire.. and when it did it felt like it was only running on 1cyl.. heavy smell of unburnt fuel, and it took a good 90s before the revs picked up and smoothed out.

Edited by Neo_VR

Had a chat with a mate who works for a tuning company and recons its sounds like part of the ECU programming, told me to get it remapped and it will go away :x

5 weeks old it may be a bit soon for a remap :p

Edit: On a side note, it has not done it in the last week, so its a bit of a strange one.

Edited by OneFourSevenNine