My16 - Rapid SB - Slow Front Windscreen Washer Fluid

My16 - Rapid SB - Slow Front Windscreen Washer Fluid

Right.. im picking a bit here.... but it bugs me... when you pull back on the stork for washer fluid there's what feels like an age pause, its maybe about 2 seconds before the fluid comes out of the jets..

Never experienced it before so slow on other cars,, at first i thought it could be due to been a bit frozen but its the same at any temp.

Its like the fluid is not in the pipe upto the washer jet nozzle and has to travel before spraying out or requires a build up of pressure. Once it sprays out is perfect with a good spread.

Is something a miss or is this a characteristic ?

Thanks

Edited by RickTT

Mines the same, takes a few seconds from pulling the leaver to the water spraying.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Ah.. normal then... thanks for the second opinion and confirming..

Maybe its me just been picky ! lol !

I wonder if a retrofit of the washer fluid level indicator is possible.

It seems that you only have to buy the sender, which is very cheap (~£5) and wire it to pin 17 of the KOMBI instrument panel. The fluid tank seems to be universal, but I am not sure if the instrument panel fitted in cars with originally no fluid level indicator (PR-8W0) supports the function.

Seems like a nice retrofit :)

Just done a test... the pump triggers as soon as you pull the stork back so it is a return issue.. 

Took a quick photo.... the pipes then go into the bonnet and feed down the left hand side..

Theres room to get them no return valves on the piping... not sure on the slack though.... one thing to remember though them return valves could freeze a lot easier though blocking the flow.!

20160219_131120_zpstsp7cs4l.jpg

With the amount of salt on the roads, the screen is flithy within 5 mins.. i have noticed though the wipers are in the full up position before the fluid hits the screen.

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

Just done a test... the pump triggers as soon as you pull the stork back so it is a return issue.. 

Took a quick photo.... the pipes then go into the bonnet and feed down the left hand side..

Theres room to get them no return valves on the piping... not sure on the slack though.... one thing to remember though them return valves could freeze a lot easier though blocking the flow.!

With the amount of salt on the roads, the screen is flithy within 5 mins.. i have noticed though the wipers are in the full up position before the fluid hits the screen.

I would connect the no-return valve on the bonnet arm, the pipe there is long enough to be cut in order to connect the valve in-line. I am not sure if the valve has the right diameter though. If you decide to try it, please post the results! For countries that are warm, it should be installed from the factory.

About the indicator, I tried to reach the lower part of the fluid tank to see if there is a sender installed but it is placed so deep down that I can't see a thing. Nor can I reach it from beneath the car as it is right above the front bumper. By inserting my hand I was able to sense a two-conductor cable there, but I am unsure if it's from the sender or not.

Afterwards, I enabled Byte 1 Bit 2 at Instrument Cluster with VCDS and the notification light / Maxidot warning came on.

79599941_img_20160219_160336.jpg

Sadly, although I refilled the tank, it didn't go off, so it's one of the following:

1) there is no sender installed, what I sensed was something else or

2) there is a sender, but its cable does not terminate at the instrument cluster (where does it go then? I surely can follow it to the point that it meets the main harness on the left and goes inside the car through the hole).

Any ideas are welcome.

Edited by eyegr

I've had a look at the parts diagram from:

http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/rapid-rap-eu-2013-95520-fluid-container-for-water-headlight-washer-system-water-level-switch/

and wonder if on our cars without the level sensor we could just remove the bung 26 and insert the switch 24.  You have proved the display has the capability to show the level so it only requires the wiring to be in place at the water bottle for an easy upgrade.  Looking at the position of the switch I think it is a simple on/off switch possibly closed when water is above it.

post-109419-0-92985300-1455903167_thumb.jpg

I used mine yesterday and whilst its slow to start pumping water the wipers dont start until the water hits the window, they are defo not at the top of the window before water hits it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Same for me

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone using Tapatalk

You know what... I think it may of been the screen wash which came with the car causing the issue as it was very very " foamy"

It ran out last night so I filled it this morning with ready mixed -15'c extreme screen washer and just tested it now..

Yes the pump runs for a second first but the wipers don't move till fluid hits the screen / slight pause/delay .

I'm thinking the very foamy screen wash could of been blocking the nozzles for a split second.

Example of new screen wash video below .. You can here the pump before the screen wash comes out.

Edited by RickTT

Sadly, although I refilled the tank, it didn't go off, so it's one of the following:

1) there is no sender installed, what I sensed was something else or

2) there is a sender, but its cable does not terminate at the instrument cluster (where does it go then? I surely can follow it to the point that it meets the main harness on the left and goes inside the car through the hole).

Any ideas are welcome.

I've had a look at the parts diagram from:

http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/rapid-rap-eu-2013-95520-fluid-container-for-water-headlight-washer-system-water-level-switch/

and wonder if on our cars without the level sensor we could just remove the bung 26 and insert the switch 24.  You have proved the display has the capability to show the level so it only requires the wiring to be in place at the water bottle for an easy upgrade.  Looking at the position of the switch I think it is a simple on/off switch possibly closed when water is above it.

Ok, I used my mobile phone as a camera to see what's going on, and it turns ou that what I was looking at before is the headlight connection, not the sender :(

The sender bung is located deeper and you can't reach it from above, at least not with a TDI, can't speak for a smaller TSI engine.

My guess is that the easiest way to reach it would be to raise the front right of the car with a jack, remove the respective wheel, unscrew and remove the 10 torx screws holding the wheel arch cover in its place, remove the cover and work from underneath.

One should then remove the bung, drain the tank, fit the sender, route the cable all the way into the passenger compartment and to the combi instrument panel, connect it to pin 17 and screw everything it their place.

Too much hassle for such a mod... If I had a garage I would do it though.

Shame, I suppose it was to much to expect that they would not have included the wiring and just have left off the sender.

So, to sum up, to do the retrofit one needs to buy

7M0919376  -> water level switch (€3.48)

7M0919382  -> o-ring  (€3.59)

7M0973202  -> flat contact housing w/ contact locking mechanism (€11.56)

These are ebay prices with shipping to my country.

The 8E0955465A -> bung must be removed and I'm not sure if the o-ring is needed, maybe it is already fitted under the bung. Also one needs to buy wire as required by length.

I've also found a complete set of these with €21.86 on ebay, together with the wire which I find better deal.