Sport mode question

I've been playing around with the drive mode and have found sport to be good for twisty bits - I usually just pull back on the gear selector.

Last night I went through the menu and selected sport proper for a long section and, as I was doing some more this morning, left it on.

However, despite the Columbus indicating sport mode had been selected the gearbox/engine were in normal mode - Dx indicated in maxidot and definitely not sport mode performance!

It seems that once the key had been removed and the car restarted this it's the case?

Anyone notice this? Is it an issue?

I would have assumed that all relevant setting would stay based on the mode selected?

Edited by Sweetums

Don't have DCC.

Basically I set the drive mode to sport for journey A and when I later start the car for journey B the Columbus, and the button beside the gear handle, says sport mode is on but the maxidot shows it's in normal mode which driving quickly confirms.

If it can remember the setting (as shown by the Columbus & button) then why not apply to the engine/gearbox? What is the point in resetting part of something the driver has decided to change?

Edited by Sweetums
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Grrr...

Just had it in the dealer & mechanic says he thinks it's "the way it's supposed to work" despite everything on the main display including the info (when in mode selection tells you what each item is set to) saying that full sport mode is on (including drive) but maxidot and actual driving confirming it's not...

They are supposed to check another car with drive mode selection today as it wasn't around yesterday to see if it behaves behaves the same.

Surprise surprise, today's follow up call hasn't happened so far.

I have this every day - my Superb's Drive Mode is permanently in "SPORT".

Each time I start the car, it starts in "D" not "S". (I have DSG by the way)

It can't start in "S".

Haven't yet tried the sport setting but yesterday i put it in 'Economy' mode and when I started the car today it was still in E mode.

I don't like the E mode as pick up is too slow and the freewheel makes it feel like you have no control.

Haven't yet tried the sport setting but yesterday i put it in 'Economy' mode and when I started the car today it was still in E mode.

I don't like the E mode as pick up is too slow and the freewheel makes it feel like you have no control.

Yeah I think it maintains all settings if economy mode is selected - must double check that later.

From a manual gear box point of view, from the engine side of things, there's not much if any difference between eco and sport I have found so far...

Is it meant to sharpen up the throttle ?