vRS - Where is Your Bite Point...

VRSD30

Probably worrying about nothing but it's been over 2 years since I last had a vRS so can't quite remember where the clutch bite point was and if it's normal to be close to the floor. 

The one I've got now has a low bite point not far off the floor, maybe 2/3'' at most and the clutch feels heavier than most other cars I've driven but I do remember that being the case from my last vRS and you don't really need any revs to set off in 1st gear. 

No problem selecting any of the gears, no DMF rattles/knocking and no clutch slip when pressing hard on the go pedal. It's done 121k miles so it's possible it may have had a new clutch at that mileage, it may just be that getting back into another car you haven't driven for a long time that it feels different to what I've been used to for a while. 

That's the only concern I've got with the clutch and apart from that it feels spot on, anyone else's vRS clutch take up close to the floor which hasn't led to any issues? Getting the fluid changed this week when it gets serviced. 

Edited by VRSD30

I bought a second VRS not long ago and the clutch biting point was like how you describe yours

My other Fabia was nothing like that at all, I couldn't get used to it so decided to sell it and keep my first Fabia, a lot better to drive when it's higher up, felt like racing everywhere when it was so low, not sure if it was an uprated clutch or some non OEM cheap one

I can get used to it in fact I quite like it! Just concerned it might be a sign something is wrong, as I said everything else with the clutch/dmf/gearbox seems fine. Each car will be different with clutch feel and as my last car had a light clutch and a bite point close to halfway up that's making the vRS feel different until I get used it. 

Edited by VRSD30

As long as it doesn't slip, or no horrible noises I would say don't worry.

Mine is fairly low (like within first quarter of pedal) and its solid, and I give it hell sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds similar to mine being within the first quarter maybe mines slightly lower, is yours still on the original clutch? How many miles you done? 

It's just old and worn imo.

When you fit a brand new DMF and clutch you won't believe the difference ;)

My last one needed a clutch & DMF and the bite point was quite high and the DMF was rattling, so the low bite point can also signal a worn out clutch? 

Not sure on original. I bought it last year on 120k and its now on 150k.

Good going if it's still on the original. 

Yeah, coupled with a heavy pedal points to a clutch that's not at its best. 

A new clutch pedal as light as a feather ,and the bite is circa half way up the pedal travel.

I've never driven a PD 130 that had a very light clutch, had an Ibiza FR and a vRS in the past and they always seem heavier on the clutch than most other cars I've owned, which is good as I'm not a fan of cars with light clutches. 

Edited by VRSD30

I've never driven a PD 130 that had a very light clutch, had an Ibiza FR and a vRS in the past and they always seem heavier on the clutch than most other cars I've owned, which is good as I'm not a fan of cars with light clutches.

They must have all been running pretty old worn clutches,or uprated ones :)

They must have all been running pretty old worn clutches,or uprated ones :)

They weren't uprated and deffo not the Fabia, the Ibiza had only done 5k miles so doubt the clutch was worn and the vRS had just had a new clutch & DMF before I bought it, just a standard Sachs kit. 

Edited by VRSD30

Likewise. I know the clutch on the Fabia isn't on its last legs, it's snatchy as anything and never had it slip, even trying to make it slip.

Saying that though, most of my mileage is motorways so mileage isn't always an indication of condition.