Pas and maf issue

Thisday

Well a fun week,

First I get P0102 come up, then a few days later, turn car on and it has heavy steering, but that goes away after 30secs or so.

I've had to refill the pas fluid around 3 times in 5and half years, so this is nothing new.

Anyway, I nip somewhere and when I get back in car the steering is heavy again, but now I have a light on the dash too.

However, when I scan the car I'm only getting the maf code come up.

I've just refilled the pad fluid, recleaned the maf and cleared the codes.

However, the pas dash light didn't go off.

Just taken it for a run round block, and maf light came back on. Rescanned, only the maf code comes up again.

I've read the pas pump may have overheated and thrown a safety cut off to prevent damage due to no fluid.

If so how do I reset the pas system?

Also, take it I'm looking at a new maf also? (Sometimes when driving the car will lose power ie boost- but it also sometimes comes back).

So, may I ask you your input/guidance please?!

Cheers,

Kyle

Have you actually scanned the steering module or just scanned engine management?

Was going to ask the same. An OBD reader won't scan the PAS pump.

Just used the torque app on my phone, so it just scanned for codes.

I do have a cable so will vcds lite show the pas errors?

Edited by Thisday

So you can't get into 44? Is there a no communication fault with G500 in Gateway (19).

nope, should have screenshot below. 

I dont know what you mean/how to confirm if ' there a no communication fault with G500 in Gateway (19).'

VCDS_zpskujrxjqd.jpg

Read the fault codes in 19 Gateway.

ahhh thanks for the idiots guide!

Results below;

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Sunday, 21 February 2016, 19:34:53.
Control Module Part Number: 6N0 909 901 
  Component and/or Version: 0037 GATEWAY CAN    1S34
           Software Coding: 00014
            Work Shop Code: WSC 13765
                      VCID: F093D3C3A3BB
1 Fault Found:
01309 -  Power Steering Control Module (J500)
        49-00 -  No Communications

That's brilliant thanks, is it a bumper off job? Or can it be accessed via the arch liner?

Work full time so not got much time to get on with it

Am I still able to drive it?

Edited by Thisday

I've changed a full pump through the wheel arch so it is possible, just fiddly.

No need for bumper off no, mine was off for other reasons at the time.

brilliant thanks,

Just have a few more Q's if you would lend me a little more of you time/expertise;

I'm guessing the meter reading was taken without the ignition on/engine running?

Is it OK to drive?

is it worth clearing the code under 'module 19' to see if that does anything?

and finally; the MAF code under VCDS comes back as 17552 -  Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Open or Short to Ground   P1144 - 35-00 -   Could this be related?

Thanks again for all of your help!!!!

It's a permanent live to the pump so ignition state doesn't matter.

Clearing the code won't do anything. If you can't access the pump through diagnostics and you have the 12v across the plug it's looking like a dead pump.

That fault code means the MAF is effectively unplugged. Don't think it's on the same circuit as the PAS pump.

Thanks Ross, I was thinking the same re-pump deadness, and glad to hear (I think) the MAF is on a diff circuit.

I shall investigate and report back!

This all isnt exactly what I was hoping for, as I might be made redundant on Thursday!

Might be worth checking the ignition live feed to the pump while you're there? Techie's rather nice photo suggests that's on pin 4 of the 4-way plug. You'll obviously need the ignition to be on to check that one.  Could that ignition live feed be shared with MAF, and a single wire fault affect both, maybe?

OK, will try to. I am really clueless re motor electrics.

Would you be able to confirm which plug you mean (can only see 3 wires on each) and which wires would be the earth please? Or how I would identify them?. Sorry again RE my lack of knowledge

Edited by Thisday