New Brake Discs

Hi All,

So Ive just gone onto eurocarparts to price up new discs & pads and there appears to be three different size discs for the front. My car is a Mk1 1.9tdi elegance estate and i entered my reg in the box and the different discs specs are:

Bore Ø [mm]15,6
Brake Disc Thickness [mm]22,0
Brake Disc TypeVented
Centering Diameter [mm]65
Diameter [mm]256
Height [mm]36,9
Hole Arrangement / Number05/07
Inner Diameter [mm]133,5
Minimum Thickness [mm]19
Number of Holes5
Pitch Circle Ø [mm]100
Weight [kg]4,64
Fitting Position Front
Fitted Quantity 2
PR Number 1LQ

or

Bore Ø [mm]15,6
Brake Disc Thickness [mm]22
Brake Disc TypeVented
Diameter [mm]280
Height [mm]36,5
Hole Arrangement / Number05/06
Inner Diameter [mm]133,5
Minimum Thickness [mm]19
Number of Holes5
Pitch Circle Ø [mm]100
Weight [kg]6
Fitting Position Front
Fitted Quantity 2
PR Number 1LS,1ZM

or

Bore Ø [mm]15,6
Brake Disc Thickness [mm]25,0
Brake Disc TypeVented
Diameter [mm]288
Height [mm]34,4
Hole Arrangement / Number05/10
Inner Diameter [mm]136
Minimum Thickness [mm]22
Number of Holes5
Pitch Circle Ø [mm]100
Weight [kg]7,2
Fitting Position Front
Fitted Quantity 2
PR Number 1LE

So my question is could I fit the bigger disc without having to change anything else if I currently have the smaller ones fitted? Do I take it I have to take a front wheel off and measure the current disc to find out which are fitted or is there a simpler way of finding out?

Cheers
Al

If the callipers say FS-III on the outer face, they are probably 280mm if not it will be a DS-3 calliper with 288mm discs. I changed my hubs and have vRS brakes now. If I was you though get genuine discs as I got ones from euros and had to sand down the pads to stop the binding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look in your service record book and on the inside cover should be a sticker with lots of printed three digit codes. These are the "PR" codes which list which variations of build are fitted to your car. Look out for 1LQ,1LS,1ZM or 1LE, this will tell you which discs/pads/calipers/carriers are fitted.

AFAIK you can't just swap the discs for a different type/size without changing the pads/calipers/carriers. You may also need to check other things such as rear pressure balancing valve or even ecu programming values.

A 2002 Elegance TDi will almost certainly have the FSIII (cast into caliper and visible through std 5 spoke wheel) calipers and 280mm discs.

If it has been modified to accept DS3 calipers, get out a measuring tape, because this might have 288mm or 312mm discs.

Thanks for all that chaps. It does have fs lll on the caliper so they are the 280mm. I haven't phoned tps yet but to put brembo all round discs and pad is £85. Euro gives you a choice of 5 manufacturer so next question who is best? Pagid, bosch, eicher, brembo or Ate?

Or am I better sticking with the stock tps supply?

I'd love to hear your opinions

Cheers

Thanks for all that chaps. It does have fs lll on the caliper so they are the 280mm. I haven't phoned tps yet but to put brembo all round discs and pad is £85. Euro gives you a choice of 5 manufacturer so next question who is best? Pagid, bosch, eicher, brembo or Ate?

Or am I better sticking with the stock tps supply?

I'd love to hear your opinions

Cheers

I would go ATE Bosch Pagid in no particular order   eicher don't know and after one bad experience (corrosion) I steer clear or Brembo whatever their (must have/fashion? ) reputation

ATE, Bosch and Pagid are the actual OEM suppliers.

Brembo are Italian; I think that explains the corrosion issue!

Eicher - Who?

ATE, Bosch and Pagid are the actual OEM suppliers.

Brembo are Italian; I think that explains the corrosion issue!

Eicher - Who?

All parts supplied by gsf or ecp and anyone else are AFTERMARKET parts. All the brands mentioned are made by third parties with a licence to use the famous branding.

I recently bought JURID discs/pads from gsf. Jurid was for many years an oem supplier to vag, then taken over by Honeywell, which also owned ATE and Bendix. Only when I got home did I notice the stickers, that the discs/pads were made in France by Saxid, a subsiduary of Federal-Mogel ( who own Ferodo) and not the Honeywell German address on the box. It has a disclaimee about no affiliation with Honeywell or their other brands!!

Brembo makes the braking systems for Ferrari but the parts you buy are aftermarket bits made by a third party. All these brandnames will carefully say they are oe suppliers, but only some are honest enough to tell you the bits in the shops are aftermarket quality items made elsewhere.

At least pads are covered by ece R90 legislation so they should all be almost as good as oe. Discs however have no such legislation.

Eicher is a ecp brand (probably made in india). Likewise vetech is a gsf brand, cheap and used by our local F1 autocentre, who live next door. Any good? Dont know. Although Discs are just machined steel, steel varies in quality.

Even TPS and some Skoda dealers supply "economy range" discs for older cars at half price of original, but these again are aftermarket parts even though branded as vag!

High churn over rate for manufacturers in the automotive supply industry, the brandsnames survive but the owner/manufacturer change frequently. Who would have thought that MGs are made in China?

Edited by xman
  • Like 1